Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• awww....but at least I am doing the right thing......
    Help me to help you :santa2:
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    there are companies who call "on behalf" of. they are scammers. insist they send something in writing. dont do it over the dog and bone
  • My husband came home from work today and his workplace have now banned all radios, mp3s and Cd players because they are not prepared to pay for this ridiculous licence.
    70 people work there, and the PRS want to charge the company £1400.00 per year.
    How many thousands of people listen to the radio at work, which by the way is a public broadcast which artists use to sell their records in the first place!
    People hear a song on the radio which they like then go out and buy it!
    This country really is going down the pan rapidly, will we be charged for the air we breathe next???
    We already pay enough taxes without adding something so pathetic as this.
    Ive just brought the latest Madonna album for £12.99, ive paid for it so why shouldnt i be able to listen to it at work on my headphones to break the day up.
    Why is it now illeagal to listen to a public broadcast such as the radio ( which helps artists make loads of money anyway by advertising their records ).
    Also will i now be breaking the law by listening to my music that i have already paid for, whilst driving to work?
    All I can say is what a load of crap this licence is!!!
    I thought it was a free country ........ how wrong was I
  • matty321
    matty321 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Yes PRS is a load of crap, tell you what I'll fit a kitchen for you for for £4000 then charge you £50 a month to use it, would I get away with that? No so what the hell makes musicians so special (I am one by the way) you get paid for your work when you sell your CD or download (if it's any good!) lets say you get £1 for each CD album sold and you sell 1 Million, that's more than many paople earn in a lifetime! many popular bands and musicians get pretty rich from what they do before they receive royalties from PRS & MCPS, so what right do they have to extort more money from people for products they have already sold! Oh, sorry I forgot they need that money to fuel their drug crazed, alchohol infused lifestyle, otherwise ooo eeer they might just have to do some real work like the rest of us!
  • Well said matty321 :j

Its a real shame all musicians dont have your outlook!!!
    All the best with your career!!!

This PRS is just another pathetic way of scamming more money out of decent honest working class people.

I just cant believe it in this day and age........ political correctness gone way out of control!!!
    PRS........ WHAT A JOKE!!!!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They also get paid from the radio for playing, but that isnt enough for these entertainers they wont to be paid over and over again
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    . . . so why shouldnt i be able to listen to it at work on my headphones to break the day up.

If you are listening to your own player on headphones, there is no requirement for a licence. It is only if others also can hear it that a licence is required.
  • If you are listening to your own player on headphones, there is no requirement for a licence. It is only if others also can hear it that a licence is required.

Trouble is as soon as you wear headphones it then becomes a health and safety issue.
    So whats wrong with listening to a public broadcast even if third parties can hear it??
    In the work place there is also a noise level restriction due to health and safety, so its not like you can play your radio at full volume anyway!!!
    This PRS licence is just a pc way of scamming money out of people!!!
    What a miserable place work places are going to be now then!!!
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    If you are listening to your own player on headphones, there is no requirement for a licence. It is only if others also can hear it that a licence is required.

just what i was going to say :)

at the end of the day you are charged for the right to air a performance if you like. to listen to it on ur own is one thing, to use it as a motivational tool for your workers, to amuse customers etc is helping a business profits. So why shouldnt you pay for the right? You would pay a TV licence to play a tv in the office right? Thats more acceptable though because you know of it and have become used to it? Also professional artists dont make anywhere near £1 profit per cd! Flip me, they wish they did. In fact those who just sell their CDs after small gigs etc and are not signed... they are the ones to make the most profit per CD.

This is one of my big bug bears, people who dont like to pay for music or the right to use it to benefit themselves.

oh and by the way £1400 sounds a lot.... but thats only £20 per year per person working. Personally i think thats a cheap (and also effective) method of motivating staff!
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Trouble is as soon as you wear headphones it then becomes a health and safety issue.

What a miserable place work places are going to be now then!!!

This licence isnt new.... it is not our fault if employers are too tight to pay it.

and if its health and safety wearing headphones then ask ur work place to do a health and safety audit to see if its viable. if ur in an office im sure they will say its fine... if ur working with heavy machinery ok perhaps not... but you shouldnt be listening to a radio either if ur doing that...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure