How to roughly work out my electricity bill?

Options
Hi my partner and I have been living now in our new build 2 bed home for just over 8 months.

To cut a long story short i have not yet had an electricity bill despite giving readings twice but have had gas.

So i enquired and we had been de-energized but we hadn't because we still have had electricity!!

So now in february we will have the last eight months bill added to it which im starting to pay towards now.

Im just trying to work out roughly how much i can expect to pay?

Over the eight months we've roughly used 1617.6 kw which works out as 202.2 per month, which is roughly 0.8286 per day.

So by feburary it'l be around 2224.2 after 11 months.

Im with Southern Electric on a standard domestic plan so how can i work out what i can expect to pay?

Regards,

Gary Hounsome

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know your tariff but probably around 14p per kwh including standing charge and VAT would be a reasonable figure to use. You could always put the figure into a comparison site and let their calculator work out your annual bill!

14p x 2224 = about £311
  • littletommytucker
    Options
    If they charged you for the full amount used, at there current standard rate, it would cost you £332. However they should portion part of this for your at their previous cheaper rates. Hope this gives you some idea.
    Sunny in Southampton.
  • savers_united
    Options
    Worst case £350 (Always best budget for worst case)
    But if spread over the 12mths correctly will be more like £300.
    Prices rose in Feb and Aug so the second increase would only have affected you for the second half of your bill.
  • cheekyruby
    Options
    Why do companies do this to people? I am in the same situation I changed over from one supplier to npower on the 22nd of october 2008 and have not recieved a bill untill this morining due to changing over to british gas for both gas and elec. I did make a couple of calls but have not recieved anything until today. The bill that came through the door today was for £893.64. Which is an estimate. The start of the contract the reading last october was 02917 and today it is 09837 can you work out roughly what it should be please. I am very Worried as I am now not working as from monday and really cannot face this its one thing after another and making me feel so bad, that I dint keep hounding them. please help me work this one out thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cheekyruby wrote: »
    Why do companies do this to people? I am in the same situation I changed over from one supplier to npower on the 22nd of october 2008 and have not recieved a bill untill this morining due to changing over to british gas for both gas and elec. I did make a couple of calls but have not recieved anything until today. The bill that came through the door today was for £893.64. Which is an estimate. The start of the contract the reading last october was 02917 and today it is 09837 can you work out roughly what it should be please. I am very Worried as I am now not working as from monday and really cannot face this its one thing after another and making me feel so bad, that I dint keep hounding them. please help me work this one out thanks

Hi and welcome to MSE!

It would probably have been better to have created a new thread regarding your situation rather than resurrecting this
    ONE YEAR OLD THREAD

Your bill would seem about correct for the usage recorded as used based on the information already given in this thread. Why would you think otherwise?
    However, you need to check the meter readings on the bill.
    Is the start reading the same as the final reading from the old supplier?
    Is the current reading about correct based on what your meter is currently displaying?
    Also be aware of the 12 month back billing rule which essentially means the supplier cannot expect payment from you for energy consumed over 12 months ago.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • cheekyruby
    Options
    Sorry first time on the site and havent used something like this before just went into a blind panic.... thanks for your answer, even though i was hoping it was goning to be reduced a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure