Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,360Posts
    • 40,927Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 2
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    I went to a certain 50% off sale yesterday. A bed which I liked the look of, was £599 down from £699.

I was hoping for a bit bigger 50%...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Looks like things are starting to cool down over the "little" water - http://www.newsinenglish.no/2017/10/04/housing-price-fall-turns-into-a-dive/
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,623 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ha! Your comments about how much things cost - and specifically bins - reminded me of a recent object lesson on the difference between an MSE'er and a non-MSE'er - an acquaintance of mine a year or so ago wanted a new recycling/rubbish bin for the kitchen. You know the things, one compartment for rubbish and another - usually bigger - for recycling. neither compartment are ever big enough for your needs, but still. She purchased a "SimpleHuman" brand bin - now I'd never even heard of these but apparently they are the "designer label" of kitchen bins. She paid £110 for this if my memory serves me correctly. (Yes - over £100 for something to dump your rubbish in!) I (And other friends) nearly fell over backwards laughing at her. when we had our kitchen done earlier this year, I did a bit of shopping about, and found pretty much the same thing without the attached designer label for £44. Personally, I'd say I win that round!

A common theme of Asda's everywhere seems to be that they attract folk who presumably purchased their driving licenses there on a previous visit...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ha! Your comments about how much things cost - and specifically bins - reminded me of a recent object lesson on the difference between an MSE'er and a non-MSE'er - an acquaintance of mine a year or so ago wanted a new recycling/rubbish bin for the kitchen. You know the things, one compartment for rubbish and another - usually bigger - for recycling. neither compartment are ever big enough for your needs, but still. She purchased a "SimpleHuman" brand bin - now I'd never even heard of these
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Neither had I until looking recently. I looked - I laughed...

but apparently they are the "designer label" of kitchen bins. She paid £110 for this if my memory serves me correctly. (Yes - over £100 for something to dump your rubbish in!)
    But in there would make it "probably the best rubbish in the world" - surely?

I (And other friends) nearly fell over backwards laughing at her. when we had our kitchen done earlier this year, I did a bit of shopping about, and found pretty much the same thing without the attached designer label for £44. Personally, I'd say I win that round!

But you don't get to say "Look! I have a simplehuman. Yes, the outrageously expensive brand everybody has never heard of."

Don't get me wrong, I will pay for brand names, but only in places where I think it makes a difference. So, for example, I have GoodYear Ultragrip Winter tyres, because they're just about the best you can get in that size of tyre - and ultimately it's my life. However, for a bin, I'll forgo simplehumans, habitat and all those sorts of things for an eerily cheap Wei Hung Lo bin...

A common theme of Asda's everywhere seems to be that they attract folk who presumably purchased their driving licenses there on a previous visit...
    You go to a posher one than me. I think they shoplift them where I go...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Tried the mattress, it being "a bed in a box" kind. Foam matresses have come a long way, but I've decided you can't beat springs.

So, it'll ultimately end up on the spare bed. Probably being at least 3 times what I'll pay for the bed...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Oct 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,623 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Definitely agree with you about sprung mattresses being best - we tried a LOT before we bought ours. And then we tried them again. And a third to to be safe once we'd narrowed the choices down a bit. The common theme was that foam ones got dismissed on the first pass - "memory" it seems only really helps when you sleep in the same position a lot - I apparently don't!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    michelle09
    Matresses cost a fortune. But sleep is probably the most important thing for your sanity, and you only have to spring out every 10 years or so.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Definitely agree with you about sprung mattresses being best - we tried a LOT before we bought ours.
    Yet Which said the foam ones had a higher satisfaction rating than springs - just goes to show doesn't it?

And then we tried them again. And a third to to be safe once we'd narrowed the choices down a bit. The common theme was that foam ones got dismissed on the first pass - "memory" it seems only really helps when you sleep in the same position a lot - I apparently don't!
    Unfortunately, I do and I don't. When I flake out after work, I sleep on my back and stay still like I'm dead. Which is probably not that far from reality...

When I actually go to sleep properly, I sleep on my side. And often toss and turn depending on how good a night it is.

Did you find the memory foam ones hot?

Matresses cost a fortune.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    And so much variety as well! It's almost a given you're not going to get the "right" one.

But sleep is probably the most important thing for your sanity, and you only have to spring out every 10 years or so.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Or even longer... *cough*
    Last edited by ZTD; 10-10-2017 at 7:40 PM.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Came back to this house in the dark last night. Met a cow. For such a large creature, they're damn near invisible as matt black against an unlit hedge. Fortunately - very fortunately - not standing in the middle of the road, as that would have been excitement I could well have done without.

The only thing that gave it away even up pretty close was that it's eyes light up like cats' eyes.

Which I didn't know until last night...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 11th Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    Butti

Bought a £5 odd kettle to tide me over - I could almost buy 4 for the price of a bin...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    We bought 3 £5 kettles for a business centre and they were good.

In other news.....I've found your diary
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • Butti
    • By Butti 11th Oct 17, 12:30 AM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    Butti
    Yet Which said the foam ones had a higher satisfaction rating than springs - just goes to show doesn't it?

Originally posted by ZTD
    A friend steered me away from memory foam because I am a woman of a certain age. Said her teenage son loves it though!!

What I learnt was never to put your bed in storage because 'things' live in storage!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 11th Oct 17, 5:13 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Silence101
    A bit late with the simplehuman bins. I came across them last year, looking for a compartment bin, and couldn't believe just how expensive they were! We ended up with 2 separate bins from Ikea, I think they were £5 each, but they are angular so fitted together in the space we had.
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £108.01 /£100 11/17 £471.44/£100 12/17 £114/£100
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    We bought 3 £5 kettles for a business centre and they were good.
    Originally posted by Butti
    Well to be fair, my previous kettle which cost about £3.60 about 10 years ago is still going strong. I just fancied a change. The new £5.60 kettle (60% more expensive... ) seems quite good too. Boils water relatively quickly, and is quite a nice pourer.

In other news.....I've found your diary
    It's not that exciting. Just full of tales of woe about how drives through dark roads in the country nearly end in cowtastrophe.

Having said that, tonight I met a couple of people who'd decided to walk their dogs down an unlit country lane. Didn't see them all that well either - probably due to the long dark clothing they were wearing. They were, quite literally, not the brightest of people...

A friend steered me away from memory foam because I am a woman of a certain age. Said her teenage son loves it though!!
    Well I am fairly warm anyway, so probably not the best for me either.

What I learnt was never to put your bed in storage because 'things' live in storage!
    Keep you company at nights...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    A bit late with the simplehuman bins. I came across them last year, looking for a compartment bin, and couldn't believe just how expensive they were! We ended up with 2 separate bins from Ikea, I think they were £5 each, but they are angular so fitted together in the space we had.
    Originally posted by Silence101
    Yes, that's pretty much the way I'm heading. Something cheap from Ikea or Asda. Ultimately it's a plastic bucket to hold rubbish without looking too plastic bucketish...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,623 Thanks
    EssexHebridean

Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes! This was one of the first things that put me off! we slept on one at a holiday place we rented and it certainly didn't give the best nights sleep - and that was in the winter!

Came back to this house in the dark last night. Met a cow. For such a large creature, they're damn near invisible as matt black against an unlit hedge. Fortunately - very fortunately - not standing in the middle of the road, as that would have been excitement I could well have done without.

The only thing that gave it away even up pretty close was that it's eyes light up like cats' eyes.

Which I didn't know until last night...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I like cows, but I don't want to meet one in those circumstances.

I *think* that all mammals eyes do that if hit by light at the right angle - think about "red eye" in photos taken with flash - that's something similar.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    I like cows, but I don't want to meet one in those circumstances.

I *think* that all mammals eyes do that if hit by light at the right angle - think about "red eye" in photos taken with flash - that's something similar.
    Humans just have capillaries in the back of their eyes, when a flash bounces off it, it shows up vampire red. Cats and dogs on the other hand, have this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum reflective coating in the back of their eyes - the high reflectivity is what "cats eyes" road markings are named after.

I thought cows didn't and were like people - red eye only. But they're not. Though to be fair, I've not been that close to a cow with headlights before...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    One of the light switches has developed a fault and let the magic smoke out. I shall get that replaced...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    Woo...isn't it windy?

Fortunately, the house hides behind a much larger house, so doesn't get much wind when it blows from this direction. However, probably still need to get the roof tightened up in the next couple of years.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 17th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,927 Thanks
    ZTD
    You know you're rural when a couple of cows are craning their necks from behind their fence, trying to see what you're up to in your dining room...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 49,047 Posts
    • 182,156 Thanks
    beanielou
    And in more financy type news. Bought diesel and went to a garage which was 2p cheaper than other local garages - according to petrolprices that is.

Nope...

Still bought some as the warning had come on and was displaying a petrol pump on my dash with pleading little pixels...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Mine does that too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin