Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,150Posts
    • 40,001Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 1
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 25th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    And there I was expecting it to be full of coupon collecting and survey searching.....
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,149.98. Offset £1,236. £114,913.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    And there I was expecting it to be full of coupon collecting and survey searching.....
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    That's why I find it best to let people down gently.

Next they'll be expecting me to talk sense...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 25th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    As if.....
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,149.98. Offset £1,236. £114,913.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 26th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    • 26th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    Wow...mattresses are expensive...

And I actually need 2...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 26th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 10,676 Posts
    • 55,743 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 26th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    Welcome to the madhouse

Mattresses are one of those things where it's very important to get the right one, even if it costs a bit more. Mattress in haste, repent at leisure! I speak as a man who got rid of a fairly expensive mattress 2 years later for a very expensive mattress
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 26th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Silence101
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    We bought ours from Ikea. We find it comfy, and a fraction of the price from elsewhere.
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £50
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 26th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    Welcome to the madhouse
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    I've been there for a while...

Mattresses are one of those things where it's very important to get the right one, even if it costs a bit more. Mattress in haste, repent at leisure! I speak as a man who got rid of a fairly expensive mattress 2 years later for a very expensive mattress
    Well I'm buying them one at a time. If I don't like the first one, it's going on the spare bed (also to be bought). At least then I'll know if I want harder or softer.

Said the actress to the Bishop...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 26th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    Had a small unscheduled departure from the road tonight. A combination of fog and a greasy road. Doesn't really work braking for a corner if your brakes are just going to make farty noises at you and not slow you down...

Didn't miss the corner by much, and the soft verge travelling wasn't too bad because my car has reasonable ground clearance and I was going slow (because it was foggy ) but even so, something I could do without...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 26th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    We bought ours from Ikea. We find it comfy, and a fraction of the price from elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Silence101
    I ended up plumping for one which was rated highly in Which and the Independent newspaper.

It's a bit difficult knowing which to get, as I sleep all ways except on my front.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 27th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    Been to the local town today for a Birthday card. Awful lot of empty shops for this stage of a boom.

I notice they've started putting pretty pictures on empty shops so they don't seem like empty shops. Is this the modern equivalent of the Victorian pastime of avoiding saying the word "toilet"?

And in other, but similar news...http://uk.businessinsider.com/citi-taps-35-year-old-numbers-wonk-to-revive-synthetic-cdo-business-financial-crisis-2017-9?r=US&IR=T

What's that phrase again..? Ah yes :- "LOL"...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 27th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 10,676 Posts
    • 55,743 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Ah - but this time it's different - they've got top wonks on the case
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 28th Sep 17, 4:46 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ah - but this time it's different - they've got top wonks on the case
    I'm rather reminded of the quote: "Invest in businesses any idiot could run because someday one will." - Peter Lynch

If it needs a trick unicyclist to run, then it's about as stable as a trick unicycle...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 28th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    I'm going to have to reconsider my route, notably not driving through a localish village. Nearly T-boned another Mr Over-Anxious on a roundabout. Since I had to come to a dead stop on the roundabout to avoid hitting him - he was nowhere close. His thoughts of speed were *way* in excess of his speed of thoughts.

Since this isn't the first time this has happened near that village, I'm starting to spot a pattern...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 28th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    And in more financy type news. Bought diesel and went to a garage which was 2p cheaper than other local garages - according to petrolprices that is.

Nope...

Still bought some as the warning had come on and was displaying a petrol pump on my dash with pleading little pixels...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 29th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    Found out my Virgin ISA isn't stoozable. That's a pain...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 2nd Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    Continuing the theme of complaining about how much things cost, how expensive are bins?!

I was looking at the ones which go inside a kitchen cupboard - £20...

Alternatively, a 95p Ikea bin and a nail gun...

In other news...https://wolfstreet.com/2017/09/27/san-francisco-bay-area-pending-home-sales-plunge-california-pending-home-sales/

I wonder what stunts are going to be pulled over that..?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 2nd Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    Continuing the other theme of going places where they can't drive, I went to Asda today...

Bought a £5 odd kettle to tide me over - I could almost buy 4 for the price of a bin...

Also apparently you need photo ID to register for a GP. When did that become a thing?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    So now I've bought cheap fridge and freezer. With cashback and Curry's bundle thing I will have saved a couple of quid.

Almost literally a couple of quid...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    ZTD
    And in other news: http://www.brokernews.com.au/news/breaking-news/100-tipping-point-for-57-of-mortgage-holders-235519.aspx

Scary stuff as Australia are well overpriced...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,231Posts Today

6,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin