Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 747Posts
    • 6,483Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 12
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    This has felt like a long week but its nearly Friday and then its only one more week until half term

Today had a ridiculously busy start but it settled down and ended up being quite productive. Wins included;

Meal plan and shopping list done based on freezer use up so food shop done for £21.77 which I was really pleased as we'd run out of a few toiletries and they can add up. I also got two bags of kiln dried kindling in preparation for winter but that is from another budget.

A small personal spend on day cream. I switched to the Aldi one a while ago and I love it. Its light and not at all greasy and smells lovely. Its also SPF 20 and all for £1.69 . don't like to think about what I used to spend on skin care

Made some overnight oats, soup and have a curry to shove in the sc overnight.

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, hm soup for lunch and spaghetti carbonara for dinner).

My bulk pack of popping corn arrived.

Did a daily clean. Its so quick and makes the place look so much better.

Laundry in but needs hanging on the airer as the forecast is terrible for tomorrow.

Lunches sorted for tomorrow.

Spin class done followed by a lovely hot (free) shower

Marking not quite up to date but further forward than yesterday. Assessments

I'm going to do a bit of marking while the washing machine finishes and then its off to bed for this tired piggy

PP x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sleep well, 6 more get ups until half term.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I need to look at that skincare - I use Elemis at the moment. Enough said!!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Oct 17, 9:16 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sleep well, 6 more get ups until half term.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Only 5 now
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I need to look at that skincare - I use Elemis at the moment. Enough said!!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    All the toiletries and make up I've tried from there have been brilliant and I've never swapped back. The only thing in wasn't keen on was the toothpaste which was a bit runny and messy. Skincare range is great though as is the sunceam
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Made it!
    Another week done. At about 11 am on Monday I wasn't sure if I'd make it this far

Work came and went with no significant event. My marking is up to date and the last week of term is planned. I'll worry about the second half of the term at a later date

No money updates other than I had a little spend . I spotted a lovely summer dress in the window of a new cs which I drive past. I had a look in tonight and tried it on. Its lovely, great quality and was a barginous £4. Getting a bit short of personal spends though and there's a lot of month left!

Another bit of good fortune arrived today too. My bulk popcorn had two split packs (looked like they been caught with a box cutter). The contents was fine, I just put it in a storage jar but spurred on by Earthgirl's good practice I complained (which i never usually get aroubd to doing). Glad I did, they resent my order free of charge and told me to keep the damaged one. 10kg of popping corn should keep me going for a while

Its been a miserable day here, wet and cold so I succumbed (much to the kid's delight) and put the heating on for an hour. I also lit the stove and a very small amount of coal has kept the living room and kitchen warm all evening and I've got two airers of washing which will hopefully be dry by morning so I need to do this more often I think. Its easy to feel deprived and fed up when you're cold and this is after all a marathon not a sprint!

Other wins included;

Uniform and PE kits washed

Bol sauce from the freezer, spaghetti and hm garlic bread for dinner, freezer lo for lunch and overnight oats for breakfast.

Both kids happy and looking forward to the weekend

Quiet evening on the sofa watching catch up TV ( with a bowl of popcorn from the popcorn mountain ) Nice not to be flying through a 'to do' list.

I'm off to bed soon and I will not be setting the alarm. I'll probably be awake at stupid o'clock but at least I won't have to get up. Love my Saturday morning coffee and a book in bed time

Happy Friday whatever you are doing.

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Oct 17, 12:05 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Happy Friday Pp. I do miss friday night teacher night, the thought of doing absolutely nothing because the week has been so busy, but I've treated myself to one this evening.

Have a fabulously frugal weekend and bring on the last week of the half term
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 14th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I think I'll be popping to @ldi for that face cream too . Thanks for the info
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Happy Friday Pp. I do miss friday night teacher night, the thought of doing absolutely nothing because the week has been so busy, but I've treated myself to one this evening.

Have a fabulously frugal weekend and bring on the last week of the half term
    Thanks Wish. Those Friday nights do have a magical quality

Hope you had a good weekend too.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I think I'll be popping to @ldi for that face cream too . Thanks for the info
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Hiya MFD, thanks for stopping by. Hope you like it
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    The mystical disappearing weekend...
    I've have had one of those weekends, a proper one

After my relaxing Friday night and a nice but full on day of Dad care I got a call from DS who had damaged himself in fairly spectacular style so we had a wild Saturday night in A&E . He is fully stitched back together and is sore but fine . When we eventually arrived home there was a message saying Dad's Sunday carer was ill so that was the rest of my weekend gone Add to that a DS up all night due to pain and DD rolling in during the wee hours its was a, long weary night!
    I gave up trying to sleep at five and got up and did all my 'surviving the working week jobs'. On the plus side I slept like a log last night

There were some good bits and some MSE wins, just not as many as there should have been.

Two nsd

Roast dinner for us and mum and dad using a £2.50 ys joint of beef and Aldi super 6 veg followed by rhubarb crumble using rhubarb from my friend's allotment. There was also enough lo for lunches.

Mum gave me a cooked chicken which made chicken pie filling, Thai red curry and the 2 breasts are in the freezer for a midweek roast dinner. I put the carcass in the sc and made stock which I used to make lo roast dinner soup.

The not so good was no excercise, no cleaning or laundry, not enough water drank and no time to scratch my a***

Today has been better. Work had its exciting (read testing) moments but I stayed calm and survived. DS is more comfortable and DD is happy. Mum and Dad are managing better than they have been so all feels well

Other wins included;

Nsd

Cleaned kitchen floor and wiped down the units.

Tomorrow's dinner prepped.

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch, hm roast dinner soup , ys artisan rolls and lo crumble and custard for dinner)

Marking up to date

Kettlebells class done and definitely getting easier

I've done a survey I have an additiinal income of £2!! Well its a start

Its blowing a hooley out there tonight so I've opted for bed, electric blanket, cup of tea and a catch up on the diaries. Lovely

PP xx
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 16th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Sounds like a very trying weekend indeed. I hope your week is much better.

Hurrah to the kettlebells and the survey though! Onwards and upwards.

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    What a weekend. But half term is calling.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Deja vu
    Thanks BTE and Wish, I've had more relaxing weekends that's for sure

Just returned from our second trip to A and E due to infection
    We now have super strength antibiotics and crutches (once they found some long enough for my baby boy). Let's hopeit was worth the four hour wait NHS staff are amazing. Despite being rushed of their feet they manage to look after everyone's needs. Jeremy Hunt needs to go and do a shift - 1% pay freeze my a**e. They deserve a medal. Sorry -don't often get ranty!! (Should maybe have left the predictive text on that last word and given you all a giggle).

Thank goodness for batch cooking - we arrived home late and ravenous to Thai red curry, hm naan a rice in about 5 minutes and there's enough for tomorrow's lunches.
    Work was OK, nothing exciting, nothing awful. Lunch was hm soup and a ys granary roll so no spends apart from £1 on some sweets for my brave boy when we collected his prescription (he'll always be my baby).

No cleaning or exercise done which is a shame but not the end of the world. No money news either. I hate this mid month lull where nothing's happening and you end up feeling like you've a mountain to climb. To top it all I got a big, unexpected bill from my previous life. Its only really half mine but I can face the aggravation so I've paid it. That's the beauty of an emergency fund I guess but it still feels like a step back
    Onwards and upwards though. I'm under budget on groceries, fuel and personal spends so if I batten down the hatches I can pull around 1/3 to 1/2 of it back so thats what I'm going to do. A thrifty half term beckons! I'm also going to get some eBay listings ready to try a raise a bit more cash before the month end.

I'm much better at reducing spending than I am at increasing my income so I need to look for more opportunities.
    Im also going to take some time to reflect on my journey so far to list positive changes that I've made which are now thrifty habits and to try and think of new ways to save, to improve my quality of life and to increase my income. Next week should give me the headspace to do this.

Hope everyone survived the storms without mishap.

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Booo to unexpected bills. They should be banned.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 18th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Booo to unexpected bills. They should be banned.
    I know its very unlike me to be caught on the hop like that but it goes back over three years and was during a time when I was shall we say, less than happy! Its paid now though so I'll notch it up to experience
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 18th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sunshine!
    I know, in October its been glorious here today, sunny and warm, quite different to the storms that were battering us on Monday and Tuesday! There is something about a sunny day that just boosts your soul, not to mention your energy levels.

I was awake early so I got two loads of laundry done and on the line before I went to work so it was dry by the time I got back home.
    Work was good although adults and children are getting a little weary and fractious. Its now only two get ups until half term

Today's successes included;

A 50p TT

Glueing my favourite boots back together.

Did my scary new exercise class (which was marginally less painful than last week) followed by a free shower

Changed DS's bed

DS is improving a little bit. He's also not grumbled at all despite need motherly assistance to dress, shower and shave

DD in good spirits and loving her new job.

MSE eats (overnight oats for breakfast, hm soup and ys roll for lunch, chorizo Mac cheese and hm garlic bread and salad for dinner

A large cash back on TCB from July now confirmed

A,small grocery spend of £2.99 on 5kg of potatoes and four pints of milk.

Ordered the kids battery operated toothbrushes from China as a stocking filler (do love a practical gift!). £2.06 for two including postage

Thursday's to dos include:

Make fish pie with some ys fish from the freezer

Do final laundry load

Clean out wood stove

Prep hm wedges to go with from the freezer chilli

Pay cheque into bank

Close final notice account (no penalties as of last Monday) and move funds to os account

Get to DS's parent's evening on time!

Off for a quick catch up on the diaries before (hopefully)8 hours sleep.

PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 19th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I spy the holidays!
    Thank goodness- today has been long and busy and a bit wearing if I'm honest Hopefully things will get back to normal after the holidays.
    DS has improved massively in the last 24 hours so hopefully he'll be up and about again very soon or at least able to put his own socks on.
    I've been reading the speculation about interest rates and inflation and it really strengthened my resolve as I'm tired of being at the mercy of these things. Ditto my decision to load up my avc because although I really enjoy my job I do have days that remind me how tough it is physically and emotionally and it will be soooooo good to finally be in a,position where I have the choice about what I do, where I do it and for how long. I'm going to hold that thought and revisit it on those dark days where I question what the hell I'm doing living on a shoe string

Ive been pondering some of my thrifty habits that are now second nature but in my previous life were not in order to acknowledge how important these small steps are in achieving great strides. I'm very quick to berate myself if I fail but I'm not so good and celebrating successes.

Some of the things I now do without thinking include:

Making my own coffee, always. I love ground coffee, its one of my few luxuries but I have switched to Aldi (currently £1.39 and really nice) and I make on pot a day. I drink one large one before work and the rest goes into a large thermos travel cup which lasts the rest of the day.

Always take my own lunch which is usually left overs so that's a double win

Batch cook so for every meal made there is a couple for the freezer. This also saves me time and energy on days like today.

Use everything! Lo are eaten for lunch or frozen for another day or turned into something else. A Sunday roast can feed us for three or four meals by turning lo into pies, risotto,fried rice dishes and soup.

Ys shop. I never pay more than 10p for bread or rolls - ever!

Stock take, meal plan and shop with a list. Save a blooming fortune and takes all the stress out of meal times.

Shop seasonally. If certain fruits or veggies are expensive I buy something else. I used to shop on automatic pilot. Not anymore!

Wash twice a week to ensure full loads. I also try to wash on a good drying day by checking the forecast but failing that I use an airer. TD is for dire emergencies only .

Reuse plastic tubs with lids like margarine and yogurt pots to freeze batch cooked food and left overseas.

Use the endless charity bags that come through the door as bin liners. I've not bought bin liners for two years

Buy used and try to stick to needs but don't always succeed

I'm sure there are more but its a start

Today's wins included:

Closed last notice account and transfered funds plus interest to os savings

Used my lifetime guarantee to replace my watch battery

Didn't have enough rice for dinner so padded it out with hm spicy wedges to avoid shopping.

Got 3 special birthday cards for 29p each.

I did however have a few spends as I needed calcium and interdental brushes and a birthday gift so £8.97 spent although they'll come from my grocery budget and annual spends budget.

I'm also not up to date with my assessment marking

Off to sleep very soon as I'm pooped

PP xx
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    Jessy103
    There are some great money saving tips there, I especially love using the charity bags as bin liners and will start doing that immediately!! Thanks!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£6746.24
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61 November - £50 December - £2635.54
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 21st Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 6,483 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hi Jessy thanks for popping in. Free bin liners are better than bought ones!

I missed yesterday's post I was in half term holiday heaven (sofa, film and a few glasses of wine)

Yesterday was a bit spendy but only on essentials. £20 spent on a petrol top up which WILL last me throughout half term as I'm going to walk whenever possible and £28.25 on the weekly food shop which is a bit higher than I would have like given its a five week month. It did have lots of fresh fruit and veg though which will be nice after my store cupboard/freezer use up as I'm getting a bit fed up of tinned and frozen.

There's nothing else of note really but a few minor wins;

Tidied ds's room

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge, lo chilli and baked potato, fish pie from ys fish from the freezer)

Stock take, meal plan and shopping done from list

Delivered birthday gift

Today's to dos are;

Get started - I've had a right lazy start. Do love my sat morning coffee in bed though

Car insurance quote

Refer friend to TCB for double payment

Get out for a long walk in the sunshine

Pick sloes ready for sloe gin making

Read for a couple of hours

Request NW rewards payment - £6.15

Clean the house properly

Laundry

Hope everyone has a lovely, frugal weekend

PP xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin