Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,547Posts
    • 20,940Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 3
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 29th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Amazing how effective deep cleaning can be. Glad tiles came up so well
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I can't wait for Tile Man to do his stuff. It will make so much difference to the place.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 29th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Groundhog Day
    Guess what I've been doing guys. Yep.. cleaning

The downstairs loo is now presentable and a further, large box has been unpacked.

Mr F got paid. A lot It turns out his company sent the wrong information to HMRC, who issued a tax code based on the incorrect amount and so he got a big tax rebate in his pay. I've sorted things out now but it means we have to hold on to this extra money and do some recalculating next month as the overpayment will be deducted from his next pay. Took me most of the morning to sort it all out.

I am now on-line with the mortgage company. Very exciting although the balance looked a bit scary when I checked it.

The fun money has been replenished so we took ourselves off to the cinema last night to see Dunkirk. What a film. My heart didn't stop pounding the whole way through. We treated ourselves to an ice cream too but it was a relatively cheap night out overall.

We are noticing a big difference here:
    • the journey to town was quick and easy
    • parking was straightforward and there were plenty of spaces
    • it cost £1.50 to park for the evening. We are used to paying £3 - £5 for a Friday night
    • the cinema was clean, not too busy and the staff brilliant (we even got shown to our seats )
    • the cost of the tickets was a whole £6 cheaper than we usually pay (and this is for the same cinema chain).

The savings paid for our ice creams

It's a good job the cost of living is cheaper here as I have now exhausted the moving in budget. There are still some things we need so I shall have to start moving up an MSE gear.

Next on the list... oh yes, more cleaning I'm going to try to get the hall in order so more boxes can be unpacked.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The Tile Man Cometh
    Tile Man is coming this afternoon. Can't wait

Mr F went off on a business trip this morning. I won't see him now until Friday Plenty to keep me busy though. The kids are visiting at the weekend so I need to clean the bathroom and second guest room before then.

I cleaned up the hall area yesterday so can unpack the coats now. That will get rid of the last wardrobe box. Several boxes were unpacked or moved to the annex by the end of the day and the house is started to emerge

I spent some of my personal spends on shoe racks yesterday. Our current ones don't fit and, although we could have done without, I found the perfect fit on sale so grasped the moment.

Mr F is under instruction to bring back any supplies he finds at the hotel. Posh branded shower gels, etc will go into the shower caddy. Standard hotel stuff will be poured into the kitchen hand wash. Might lead to some interesting fragrance combinations

Happy Sunday all

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 30th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like you are really making progress.
    I think you need to share some before and after pics of the tiles though.

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 63,785 Thanks
    greent
    Mr F is under instruction to bring back any supplies he finds at the hotel. Posh branded shower gels, etc will go into the shower caddy. Standard hotel stuff will be poured into the kitchen hand wash. Might lead to some interesting fragrance combinations

Happy Sunday all

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Mr gt is now trained at bringing back all hotel supplies - I use weird shampoos in the smalls' swimming bags. There are some hotel s'poo/ conditioner combinations I will use up on me and shower gels are happily used by Mr g or used to top up handwashes (depends upon the colour - only certain colours can be used to top up certain handwash bottles here! ) Teabags will get used if I like them, or taken into work if I don't. Coffee will get used by DS1 - he doesn't care! I use shower caps to cover proving dough and any sewing kits are donated to the local shoebox appeal - they make sewing kits up for sending abroad. My mum also donates all her airline (Emirates - good stuff!) and hotel toiletries to me (she will only use certain brands - sigh.....) - we get a regular supply of Gi11ette shaving foam, C0lgate toothpaste and a male anti-perspirant from her/ Emirates - it's fab! I pass on the toothbrushes to either the foodbank or shoebox appeal, along with any excess of the shaving foam (donated around a dozen cans last Xmas - they had a specific appeal for male toiletries) I'm all for making the most of freebies (and passing on what I can't/ won't use - I don't want any clutter from them)

Hope the tiles come up wonderfully

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 30th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Oh my goodness. Hotel shower caps for proving dough!!!! That is a genius idea. Please consider that one well and truly stolen.

The other option for sewimg kits is to use them for creating little 'jam jar' kits, make a pin cushion out of a scrap of fabric and some stuffing/foam etc and hot glue to a jam jar lid, fill the jar with sewing essentials and tie a pretty ribbon around the neck. Super quick & cheap pressie for a crafty person, teacher's gift etc.

However. Shower caps!! Genius.
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 63,785 Thanks
    greent
    Oh my goodness. Hotel shower caps for proving dough!!!! That is a genius idea. Please consider that one well and truly stolen.

The other option for sewimg kits is to use them for creating little 'jam jar' kits, make a pin cushion out of a scrap of fabric and some stuffing/foam etc and hot glue to a jam jar lid, fill the jar with sewing essentials and tie a pretty ribbon around the neck. Super quick & cheap pressie for a crafty person, teacher's gift etc.

Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Glad to be of help! I've been doing it for about 10 years or so - you can puff them up, unlike clingfilm/ damp towels

Great idea about the sewing kits - but I am so craft-ily challenged that that's beyond me!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 30th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Loving the chatter...makes me wish i had more away trips!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 30//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £32,077.72
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £103,922.28 // Avg Daily Interest £4.67
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 47.86% of £41,000
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounds like you are really making progress.
    I think you need to share some before and after pics of the tiles though.

Wish.
    Hi there Wish. I did think about taking some before and after pics but the before pics were so disgusting I would be too embarrassed to share them

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Mr gt is now trained at bringing back all hotel supplies - I use weird shampoos in the smalls' swimming bags. There are some hotel s'poo/ conditioner combinations I will use up on me and shower gels are happily used by Mr g or used to top up handwashes (depends upon the colour - only certain colours can be used to top up certain handwash bottles here! ) Teabags will get used if I like them, or taken into work if I don't. Coffee will get used by DS1 - he doesn't care! I use shower caps to cover proving dough and any sewing kits are donated to the local shoebox appeal - they make sewing kits up for sending abroad. My mum also donates all her airline (Emirates - good stuff!) and hotel toiletries to me (she will only use certain brands - sigh.....) - we get a regular supply of Gi11ette shaving foam, C0lgate toothpaste and a male anti-perspirant from her/ Emirates - it's fab! I pass on the toothbrushes to either the foodbank or shoebox appeal, along with any excess of the shaving foam (donated around a dozen cans last Xmas - they had a specific appeal for male toiletries) I'm all for making the most of freebies (and passing on what I can't/ won't use - I don't want any clutter from them)

Hope the tiles come up wonderfully

x
    Originally posted by greent
    Brilliant ideas GreenT. I love the dough cover tip too It's inspired me to try using the shower caps to cover desert dishes - I always manage to stick the cling film to the top of my desserts.

Mr F flies Emirates from time to time too - brilliant freebies. They often have little vials of perfume in. Other things I do with travel stuff is:
    • make up little overnight packs for my guests to leave in their room - you can guarantee someone will arrive without their toothbrush or razor
    • flight socks come in handy for people who forget to bring slippers
    • use the toiletry bags to store shoe cleaning kits
    • keep a toothbrush with my washing up stuff and another with general cleaning stuff for getting into nooks and crannies - I've worn out two so far cleaning this place up

If anyone else has ideas for this stuff I'd love to hear them.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles

That's a lovely idea for jam jars Wish. And very pertinent as I discovered I have about 100 of them when I was unpacking

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Loving the chatter...makes me wish i had more away trips!!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    ...but there's no place like home jimmy. I wish Mr F wasn't away so much.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    You will always find me in the kitchen at parties...
    My kitchen floor is clean

It's not perfect. The original grouting was cream and a darker beige shade has been put over the top in places. So it's a bit patchy and rustic. But it's a farm house style kitchen so I think it looks right for the style and age of the house. I could have had the grout painted but we tried a sample patch and it looked too pristine and plasticy. The main thing is IT'S CLEAN I have done a little happy dance around it

It took Tile Man over 4 hours to do the job I had to work around him so have shifted and unpacked boxes where I could today.

Why is there still so much to do? We'll have been here three weeks on Wednesday and I'm nowhere near having the place ready to receive. Mr F is away for a week with work from today so it's all down to me now

Still, a clean kitchen floor is a huge step forward

Tomorrow's jobs are cleaning the bathroom, meal planning and grocery shopping.

Cinderella's not going to the ball anytime soon

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 30th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    You shouldn't be embarrassed about the before pics Fortune, it's not like you made the tiles that way...

Still would like to see the after pics though. (Pretty please)
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 31st Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    You shouldn't be embarrassed about the before pics Fortune, it's not like you made the tiles that way...

Still would like to see the after pics though. (Pretty please)
    I would just for you Wish if I had the means. I can't use Ph0t0buck£t as I used to because they have started charging and I don't have any other photo accounts

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 31st Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Two steps forward...
    ... and one broken toilet back. Now the tiles are clean in the downstairs rooms I was able to see that the downstairs loo is leaking Only a tiny bit but it will need to be fixed and soon. I called someone today so hopefully will get a repair date quickly. There's no house move budget left so the cost will have to come out of the emergency fund.. which I suppose is what it's for.

I cleaned three quarters of the bathroom today before I ran out of umph I'll do the shower cubicle and floor tomorrow. I got rid of another couple of boxes though and plan to spend most of tomorrow doing more.

Today's post bought the TV stand so I was able to set up the small TV in our bedroom The fake wasps nests also arrived so I've put them up inside against the windows and we'll see what the wasps think of them tomorrow I didn't think they'd survive outside for long in this wet weather as they are only made of paper. A pole for opening and closing the velux windows was included too - thank goodness. I was relying on Mr F to open windows for me as I'm too short to reach them

A friend called this evening so we had a good catch up and set a date for her to visit. That will be a nice social occasion to look forward too.

I really enjoyed cooking in the kitchen today. It's a different place entirely now it's clean

Hope your week has started well.

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 31st Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'll let you off on the photos then, not very mse to pay for such a service.

Yay to clean tiles, boo to leaky toilets.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 31st Jul 17, 11:35 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    in need of direction
    In my mind, there's no better use for an emergency fund than repairing a toilet.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 31st Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    What a pain about the loo. I wonder if the previous owners knew but just left it? When I moved into my 1st home, the shower didn't work and a window handle came off in my hand. I think they'd tried to glue it It was so frustrating and expense that I hadn't accounted for. I'm due to move soon and my shower started leaking a bit but I couldn't knowingly leave it for the new owner so I've had it replaced. I'm hoping I'll be rewarded in my new place and not be left any "surprises"
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Aug 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry about the loo, but other than that you seem to be doing just fine
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin