Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,547Posts
    • 20,940Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 2
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is so lovely to think that after all the planning and waiting you are finally there. Brilliant. I wish you every happiness in The Shires
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • theyoungone
    • By theyoungone 22nd Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    theyoungone
    New house new diary! Sounds like you are settling in well! ( Trips to the local always good for that! )
    Shall subscribe to keep up with your Shire adventures!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 23rd Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    You're sounding quite settled already, which is lovely to read Glad you managed to salvage the sign
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    It is feeling more like home now GreenT. Still a lot to do but it feels as though we've broken the back of it.

It is so lovely to think that after all the planning and waiting you are finally there. Brilliant. I wish you every happiness in The Shires
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you DIA. I can't quite believe we did it - and I wouldn't want to do it again

New house new diary! Sounds like you are settling in well! ( Trips to the local always good for that! )
    Shall subscribe to keep up with your Shire adventures!
    Originally posted by theyoungone
    Hi there TheYoungOne. Thanks for joining me. Can't wait until we're straight and can go exploring.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 23rd Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    New Friends
    Our Vendor and his wife invited us over for a BBQ last night. They are a lovely couple and have given us some great advice about the area. We took some beer and wine from stores and I made a pudding to contribute. The pudding was tasty but not very pretty as I'm still getting used to my new oven

We're pacing ourselves with sorting things out now. The first week was exhausting and, now we can live relatively easily, we can give ourselves a break and slow down a little. Mr F did some drilling and fixing so a few more items are in their proper place and off the floor. I cleaned the utility area so the freezer is in place and ready for use. The new fridge should arrive this week - another necessary purchase as our old one was integrated and had to stay.

Today I'm planning to continue sorting out the landing area. Mr F may not be happy though as I think the furniture is in the wrong place

I've ordered a new post box. We don't have a letterbox and, although, there is a post box fixed to the fence, the last owner lost the keys and had to force the lock. The door is held in place with a piece of loose cardboard So not secure and the door swung open in the heavy rain and our letters got soaked.

Our H£rm£$ courier is getting closer to the house. The last parcels were dumped over the fence and onto the drive. In the torrential rain The boxes got so wet they disintegrated Luckily the contents survived although we discovered that one of the boxes wasn't for us at all I contacted the supplier and they said to keep everything as compensation £50's worth I will list some things on FB and take the rest to charity.

Have a great Sunday all

Fortune x

• Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 23rd Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Congratulations on your move Fortune, it all sounds wonderful and great that you have already made new friends. Wishing you every happiness in your new home x
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 7,111 Posts
    • 34,458 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounds like a sensible gesture by My Hermes...they need to sort their couriers out tho!!

Glad you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    October '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.10.17 40/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for October 0x/05 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for October xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 23rd Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 12,640 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Glad you're getting sorted, and how lovely of your vendors to invite you over. You'll soon be straight. Nice that you can keep the stuff, you do wonder people's logic though, what did they think was going to happen in the rain ☔️
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I was following your other diaries so I'm actually delurking now to say, welcome to Shropshire I've been here 18 years now, although I'm about to move back to my home county. I shall miss it here though, it is lovely. Happy exploring
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 24th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Congratulations on your move Fortune, it all sounds wonderful and great that you have already made new friends. Wishing you every happiness in your new home x
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Thanks Busy Mee. Everyone we've met here so far has been lovely.

Sounds like a sensible gesture by My Hermes...they need to sort their couriers out tho!!

Glad you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel x
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    It was Lak£land Brizzle. Very generous of them.

Glad you're getting sorted, and how lovely of your vendors to invite you over. You'll soon be straight. Nice that you can keep the stuff, you do wonder people's logic though, what did they think was going to happen in the rain ☔️
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Our courier hasn't been able to get to us on the scheduled delivery date for any of our parcels so far. I suspect they are taking on too much Purp.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 24th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I was following your other diaries so I'm actually delurking now to say, welcome to Shropshire I've been here 18 years now, although I'm about to move back to my home county. I shall miss it here though, it is lovely. Happy exploring
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    Hi Orange Ena. Lovely to hear from you. I can see why you love it. I think we will too.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 24th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    If I had a hammer...
    Mr F has been putting things up all day. He'll be back at work on Thursday so I thought I'd better put him to work before I lose my handyman

Lots of things are now in the proper place and it's nice to see some pictures up on the walls. It makes such a difference.

Another three boxes were emptied today. All containing alcohol

I signed up for on-line banking with the mortgage company this morning and paid off the arrangement fee I'm very excited about being able to check the balance on line as I couldn't do this with our last lender.

Had a wander around the vegetable garden and discovered lots of produce that needs eating up or freezing. Good job the freezer is now in place. It just needs a quick clean and turning on.

I'm intending to tackle a guest bedroom tomorrow.

Sleep tight all

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 25th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hope you sleep well too.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 25th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hi Fortune
    That sounds so exciting! The very best of luck on your journey
    PP x
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 27,849 Posts
    • 152,603 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Fortune! Oh my word, congratulations on the move and congratulations on sorting out so much already - lovely about the house sign, and important about the mailbox, but the homeliness and your own touches *inside* the house sound absolutely brilliant.

Always go with a nice glass of red
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 25th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hope you sleep well too.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi Wishing. We are sleeping very well thank you. I'm doing over 10,000 steps easily every day which is helping. The house is long and narrow so you have to walk a fair distance just to get from the living room to the kitchen It will all help to keep me fit.

Hi Fortune
    That sounds so exciting! The very best of luck on your journey
    PP x
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Welcome Pinky and thank you.

Hi Fortune! Oh my word, congratulations on the move and congratulations on sorting out so much already - lovely about the house sign, and important about the mailbox, but the homeliness and your own touches *inside* the house sound absolutely brilliant.

Always go with a nice glass of red
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Yay Karma

Can't believe we've been in the house a fortnight tomorrow. There still seems so much to do. It is feeling a little more homely now though.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 25th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    How much longer?
    One guest room cleaned and made up today

For every box we unpack though there still seems to be another two or three to step into its place. We don't seem to be doing anything other than cleaning and unpacking but it doesn't look like much progress has been made. I'm hoping it's one of those situations where suddenly it will all come together

The post box arrived today and Mr F put it up just in time for the post delivery He's off on his first business trip tomorrow from here. Not only will I lose his handyman skills, I'll be on my own overnight for the first time

A few more necessary purchases have been made but we are still within budget.

New fridge is being delivered tomorrow (another integrated appliance we couldn't bring with us). I've been using a portable camping fridge or running across to the one in the annex since we moved in. Tile Man is coming to quote for kitchen tile cleaning too.

My chores for tomorrow are cleaning the fridge, freezer and downstairs loo. Life in The Shire is all glamour so far

Fortune x

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 25th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

My chores for tomorrow are cleaning the fridge, freezer and downstairs loo. Life in The Shire is all glamour so far

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    *pops knitted mitts and rubber gloves in the post to Fortune*

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 27th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    *pops knitted mitts and rubber gloves in the post to Fortune*

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    I'm going through rubber gloves at a rate of knots Greying

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 27th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I aint afraid of no ghost
    I survived the night No intruders and no ghosts

The beautiful fridge arrived yesterday. I love it. Much roomier than my last one and really efficient.

Tile Man came and cleaned up a couple of tiles so that I could see the effect. What a difference! The floor really is disgusting. It's the grout that's the problem. It's a dark brown colour and it's supposed to be white I had cleaned a bit previously to see whether I could do it myself and save some money. However, it took a very long time and I couldn't get the grout as clean as Tile Man could. He's going to seal the grout too so, although it's going to be a bit pricey, I think it's worth the investment. The budget is still holding so I'm going to go for it.

I cleaned the camping fridge so that it can be put away but didn't do the freezer as I don't need it just yet. The downstairs loo got put on hold too as I ran out of cleaning products It's on the list for today though as T£$co have just delivered and replenished the stocks. I think about 50% of my order this week was cleaning products I unpacked a few more boxes instead so some progress was made.

Today's purchases include a replacement stand for our small TV so that I can have that in the bedroom. I usually watch a little in bed when Mr F's away and set in on sleep timer so it switches itself off after I've nodded off. I find it a comfort when I'm on my own and I missed it last night. We had it wall mounted in the last house and the stand it came with is lost in the mists of time.

I also ordered some fake wasps nests to keep the wasps from scraping our wooden window frames to make their nests You can hear the little rasping noises they make from inside the house and they'll ruin them eventually. I've read that fake nests will deter them and at £3.49 for two I thought it worth a try.

Right. The downstairs loo is calling and there's a pile of ironing planned for this afternoon.

Have a great day

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Amazing how effective deep cleaning can be. Glad tiles came up so well
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin