Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 456Posts
    • 1,768Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Taking it slowly, but doing it well.
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    Taking it slowly, but doing it well. 13th Jul 17 at 7:39 PM
    Good evening all,

I'm rejoining this thread and you lovely people after a break of a few years.

I've got a new user name, but only because I can't get back into my old account. (My old diary was called 'Today is not a NSD'

I've kept the start of my username the same, so it's still a big wave hello from me, Wish.

A quick (I promise) update from me.

I'm about to turn 35 (still wish I was 25)

I now have a 1 year old little boy - Pickle

I'm currently on extended maternity leave/career break/unemployed (I took the statutory maternity pay from my high pressured, long hours, no social life job, handed my notice in whilst on mat leave and , because I didn't take any occupational maternity pay, I didn't have to repay any money. )

Husband is still a freelance audio visual engineer in the entertainments industry

Still in our 2 bed Victorian terrace, which we still love.

We still want to be mortgage free, but it's going to take a little longer than we thought when I was last here.

So, why am I back?
    I need some motivation and some accountability, need to get back on the no spend days. Need to curb some bad financial habits that have crept back in.
    Need to lose some weight - nsd will help by no cake shop stops or treats from the discount supermarket at the end of the road.

I'm at the end of my maternity savings.

When I found out I was pregnant I stopped overpaying the mortgage and diverted all that cash into a maternity leave 'fund' to that I added my statutory maternity pay as it came in, £5k from an inheritance and a £5k gift from my parents.
    The total of those savings have allowed us to live as we were for 15.5 months without hubby having to contribute anymore to our household expenses than he had previously.

I am very pleased with what we have achieved. But, that 'half month' is August and then the money is gone, I have no income and we will have to manage on hubby's self employment earnings.

I am meant to be applying for agency work, in my field, for 3 days a week from September. It's not happened yet due to hubby being run off his feet with work. I'm not worried about this, I will sort it when I can.

We have no debts, other than our mortgage (which currently stands at just less than £37k and has 12years 3 months left to run)

We receive child benefit, but nothing else (previous warnings have been too high to receive tax credits or anything else)
    We have no family living nearby, so will need to pay out for childcare come September for 3 days a week, as I'll be agency and hubby is self employed we can't get childcare vouchers, but should be able to open one of the new tax free childcare accounts saving us 20% on childcare costs, which will be around £120 a week.

This is what I already do:

YNAB all my accounts - this is how I've managed to have 15 months off work
    Use ynab to save for all annual bills, overpaying each section so I have a little bonus when it comes to paying the bill

Meal plan & cook from scratch

Try not to spend too much on things for Pickle, and try to sell on things he has finished with (this has had mixed success)

I'd love to have your support as I attempt to pay off the mortge earlier than planned. I'm aiming, from August, to overpay the same amount as the interest added to the account. This isn't much, but it's a realistic challenge given out current circumstances.

Thank you for reading

Wish.
Page 9
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Your weekend sounds lovely. Enjoy
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's one of those days where it never seems to get light. You could spend all day with the lights on (if you weren't a mse person)

Today has also gone pretty much as predicted, apart from watching the planes at the viewing ark, too foggy/cloudy.
    But all this does mean a nsd
    I finally managed to get to a £5 payout on swgbucks and cashed out 36p on qm33 which isn't a lot, but every little helps.

I need more than 3 nsds a week to hit my target, but at least I'm off to a good start.

I also think I'm going to have to buy something new for my interview on Wednesday, probably just a new top, or, if I can find them (couldn't last time I looked) Grey trousers to go with a green top I already own, navy trousers just don't work. I'll make sure it clothes suitable for me to wear as a supply teacher too. Money will come from spending or my birthday money, we'all see.
    So I think I'll do that on Monday after swimming and fill the car up at the same time.
    That's should !! Make Tuesday at least a nsd, possibly Wednesday if I take all my food and drink with me to the interview.

I've made a fish pie this evening that will be portioned up as freezer meals for Pickle and I and I've got the things to make a chicken & broccoli bake, so will probably do that tomorrow afternoon.
    Tonight is clearing up after the bomb site hubby has managed to leave whilst 'packing' and a bit of adding to my interview presentation.

Have a lovely evening everyone.

Update on day 7

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £39.94/£72.38
    Mop pot target 2) 0/£47.76
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

Money for new sling: £10/£110

Survey/tasks/cashback: £28.28/£50 ooh I like that figure.
    £20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - swagbucks

NSDs: 3/12

Wish
    Last edited by wishingthemortgaheaway; 07-10-2017 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Fat fingers.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Had a lovely day with my parents today and have managed to have another nsd, so that makes it a no spend weekend. Dad paid for our pub lunch today, they are mortgage free already, and we don't see them that often, so it's nice to be treated. But it also means I've not done any surveys today, I'll log on after my update to have a look, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Pickle has had a fab time with his grandparents, he's kept Grandma busy reading stories and lots of cuddles for grandad. He was exhausted by bedtime so I hope he sleeps well tonight I need the sleep too.

Tomorrow will be a spend day, I need to fill hubby's car up, there's £24 left in the fuel budget, I'll take the rest from household or spending money, I would take it from 'stuff I'll forget' but I need to pay for this dbs check.

Good luck for the week ahead one and all.

Update on day 8

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £39.94/£72.38 no change.
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

Survey/tasks/cashback: £28.28/£50 no change
    £20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - swagbucks

NSDs: 4/12

Wish
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 9th Oct 17, 7:26 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    Morning,

Just doing my diary catch ups. You've done so well so far this month.

Good luck for your interview this week.

I need to get a new sling for my giant toddler. Although she's at an age now where she wants to walk everywhere so not sure how much longer I'd get out of a new one.
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £37139.86
    £5400.86/£37139.86 14.54% paid
    Estimated DFD JUNE 2020 (calculated July 2017)
    Debt Free by Christmas Challenge
    Total cleared £3073.82/£9091.72 33.8% paid
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Oct 17, 8:05 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Morning MB,

I feel in control to a point of the finances at the moment (dreading paying out for the dbs check)

With regard to toddler carriers, if you just need one for 'I've walked a lot and now I'm tired' I'd go for something like a toddler/pre-school connecta or an integra (new brand but should be good) I love my connecta because it folds up really small and can just go in my bag without taking up too much space.
    You can get preloved connectas quite easily, but I'd check out the size you need from a sling library.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 9th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Sounds like a good weekend was had by all. Hope you have a positive week too!
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,149.98. Offset £1,236. £114,913.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Early update from me today (while Pickle is enjoying his screen time fix before bed)
    Today has been super spendy....

£51 on fuel - £24 left in fuel account, covered the deficit from household & spending money. I don't know if this is the end of the fuel spending this month either as we have a London trip too.
    £35 on shoes, £6 on tights and £59.95 on a dress for the interview on Wednesday. £100 from my birthday money, £1 from my spending money.
    £12 on a custom made necklace (from a wahm I know) to accessories outfit. From spending money
    £12 on a replacement espresso cup as Pickle dropped one yesterday when he was 'playing' at making coffee. I'm relieved they Are sold singularly actually. I was worried I'd forever have an odd number. (Yup, probably could have shopped round and got this cheaper/cashback, but was impressed I could buy 1) from household goods.

Groceries and eating out are looking ok. (Good job really, just agreed to meet up with friends on Saturday and lunch with an ex-colleague on Monday. )
    Household goods & Spending money need a rest for a while
    'Stuff I'll forget' has the Dbs money in it and that's it. (Oh, but Dad will repay £20 in here when he gets back from America next week )
    So, all in all very spendy and, at only the 9th of the month I feel like I'm rinsing money.

To counteract all this spending:
    I took a pack up with us to swimming so we could eat before going shopping without spending money
    I remembered I had a 'free cake & hot drink' voucher from my favourite homewares store, so we had a little treat without spending.
    Actually the dress at £60 is cheaper than the suits I was looking at (£45 for jacket, £38 for trousers) so, this too is a little win (I'd have still needed to buy shoes even with the suit)
    1p interest from an account to add to the mop pot.

Tonight (hence the early update), I'm going to hit the 'home spa' to get my legs ready for dress & tights. And cleaner proof the house for tomorrow. I also need to sort the swimming bag and put the dry washing away. Sooo much to do, therefore I'm predicting a very pickly Pickle at bed time tonight.

Have a great evening.
    Update on day 8

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £39.95/£72.38 interest in added
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

Money for new sling: £10/£110 this is NEVER going to happen at this rate, nothing is selling)

£20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - swagbucks

NSDs: 4/12

Wish
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a good weekend was had by all. Hope you have a positive week too!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever

Thank you. Yes it was lovely.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 10th Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Hi, can't sleep so catching up with what everyones doing.... Is your other interview for teaching too? How would childcare work with supply-I used to only be available for jobs I was contacted about the. night before but my kids were older and getting themselves to school by then.. Good luck with both.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi, can't sleep so catching up with what everyones doing.... Is your other interview for teaching too? How would childcare work with supply-I used to only be available for jobs I was contacted about the. night before but my kids were older and getting themselves to school by then.. Good luck with both.
    Originally posted by Kittychick

Hope you are able to have a restful day if you've not slept well.

Tomorrow's interview isn't for teaching, but it is education based. And, at the moment it's very part time, mostly working from home and should (!) be quite flexible.
    The plan is to arrange child care for 3 days a week- if I get tomorrow's job the wages from that would just about cover the 3 days a week child care full year, so any supply work I get (have said I'm available for up to 3 days a week) would not need to cover child care. (And if I can get term time only child care I'm onto a winner)
    My mum's done a thing with her pension and earnings where she's split her tax allowance over two things, I'm hoping that's not a pension thing, but that I'll be able to allocate my tax free allowance over the two posts and it not get too messy.

Obviously it's all hypothetical at the moment. I'm confident I could do the job well, but my experience is not exactly in the same field. So need to show my transferable skills.

If it all works out I'll still be able to do some of the education consulting I'm doing, but won't need to push it for more business and any earnings I get can be saved or put in the mop pot.

I feel like there's lots of 'possibles' at the moment, but nothing concrete.

If I don't get the job tomorrow, I'll feel the pressure on the supply teaching to cOver childcare costs first, not ideal. But will have to be done. (And finding term time only childcare will be even more of a priority)
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 10th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Silence101
    Good luck for the interview!
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £50
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    michelle09
    Good luck for the interview!

I was told that you can't split the tax allowance and you have to sort it at the end of the tax year. But if you can sort it, then that would be great!

You do at least get two loads of NI allowance though. Which should be good for a little extra income.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Evening all. And thank you for all your best wishes. Once Pickle is asleep I'm gooong to have the third, major rewrite of my presentation. A couple of things dawned on me this morning which led to rewrite 2 and a couple more things this afternoon, so rewrite 3 is needed.
    I've been through every emotion. But, I have got the skills to do the job, so, now I know that. I just need to show them.

As a result of all this, today has been a nsd again, so feeling more on top of those. If I'm really organised tomorrow could be one as well. I'm determined to be.

No survey earnings either, need to spend any child free time on interview prep.

Hopefully things will pick up soon.
    I'd also like some of my sale items to sell. Then I can start building up the sling pot.

Update on day 9

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £39.95/£72.38 No change.
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

Money for new sling: £10/£110 please can things sell?

£20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - Swagbucks
    NSDs: 5/12 - that's over half the days this month that my purse has stayed shut

Wish
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Good luck tomorrow. I'll keep my trotters crossed for you
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 10th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Good luck for tomorrow!!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hiya Wish

Hope it went well today xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 11th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    A huge thank you to everyone for their good wishes. I really enjoyed my interview today. I won't find out until later in the week or Monday, but I couldn't have done any more.
    I gave myself a good talking to on the way down and refused to let the anxieties and 'what ifs' have House room. I put on my game face and attacked it with all my might.
    I could do this job, it's just a case of them asking me to do it (or not) either way I'm proud of me. Which is not something I say often.
    And from this point I'm going to digress to something that bothered me a while ago.

I was listening to Chris Evans on his breakfast show a few months ago when, following one of his team saying something, he remarked that his colleague had just broken his family's 'house rule'
    This rule is that you don't say things about yourself that compliment yourself, only other people can/should do that.

I completely disagree with Chris Evans. We, and our children, should express our satisfaction at the things we've done well and our achievements. We need these positive experiences to build our resilience.
    So let's encourage ourselves and our children to talk about the things we have done well. (Yes I know boasting is not right, but you can be pleased with the effort and achievement or something without boasting)

In other (more relevant news)
    A nsd.
    Woop woop!

Update on day 11

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £39.95/£72.38
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

£20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - Swagbucks
    NSDs: 6/12 - half way... go me.

Wish
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 11th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Hi Wish, sounds like things are going well! Keeping all my fingers crossed for the job. I completely agree with you about the need to recognize and be proud of our achievements. There is NOTHING wrong with that in my opinion and it is right and healthy to be aware of our strengths and skills as well as areas of development.
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    evening all.
    Not heard either way about the job, feel a little bit in limbo at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.

Been a bit is of a pft day today. Out for brunch with a friend (£5.75)
    A few errands- tip trip and attempting to book a Christmas night out. Then mrS for some Shopmium deals and the ingredients for mulled wine, which cost a small fortune, but will last me for lots of mulled wine events between now and Christmas.

Bt took their money today so another bit added to the mop pot.
    No surveys done today, might see if there are any now.

Ho hum, sleep well everyone.

Update on day 12

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £44.89/£72.38
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

£20 - shop along
    £3.28- Qmee
    £5. - Swagbucks

NSDs: 6/12 -

Wish
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Oct 17, 12:20 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    evening all (or should that be morning?)

I'm going to start with this evening, a friend came round. (One of Pickle's fake aunties.) we've drunk mulled wine, cosmopolitans and fun and tonics. It was a good evening.

ive still not heard about the job I'm feeling really sad about it at the moment. I really want the job.

Spends wise £32 on brunch for me & 2 friends and our children. My turn to pay.

Shopmium cashback and a qmee payment takes my mop pot to a nice round number

Update on day 13

MSE OCTOBER GOALS

Mop pot target 1) £50.00/£72.38
    Mop pot target 3) 0/£100

Survey/tasks/cashback: £33.39/£50 no change
    £20 - shop along
    £4.90 - Shopmium
    £3.49- Qmee
    £5. - Swagbucks

NSDs: 6/12 -

Wish
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin