Need not Want.

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 February 2013 at 12:38PM
    OK I amend it - I need to buy Bread, Ham and an expensive bottle of shampoo :eek:

I have a skin problem that's been driving me insane for years, and I go through phases of being convinced it's this, that or the next. Now I'm convinced it's Sulfates, so I'm going to try a Sulfate free shampoo. I wondered if any of you use natural products, and can recommend a good one (or an inexpensive one)?

Try looking for SLS free shampoo on Ebay. You'll probably want something like liquid castille soap...see how you go with that. Alternatively, any SLS free bar soap will wash your hair just as effectively as traditional shampoo - honestly. Castille is about the purest soap there is and has been used for centuries. Make sure you buy 'cold pressed' soap and not soap made using the 'melt and pour' method (which is a cop out because they're using commercially available soap and just recasting it).

Edit. I buy all my speciality cold pressed soap from here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pamper-Cafe-Handmade-Soap-Loaf-Cold-Process-1KG-Goats-Milk-/221180902110?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item337f68bade

Liquid Castille Soap from here :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-ORGANIC-LIQUID-CASTILE-SOAP-1-LITRE-FREE-UK-P-P-/400326111695?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item5d354bb1cf

I tried making goats milk soap and it didnt work, so I bought some from the above linked shop and my daughters' skin problems have all but disappeared.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Having a minor freak-out as my bank balance has dropped below £100 with over a week left til payday- must keep reminding myself that this is due to having stuck a big chunk in savings and that DH owes me for shopping still so I'm nowhere near destitute and it means I've done my budget well as I want to be saving the absolute max each month so aiming for £0 balance. Still, not a feeling I'm comfy with!
    Went to town today, needed some ribbon and printer ink for the BiL wedding invites I'm making. Bought a cartridge for £17 in stationary shop, then found for only £10 in Wilko- walked back to town to return expensive one. I now have the pleasure of making all those cards to keep me busy and stop me spending :j plus £7 more in my bank than expected. No more needs this week so hopefully lots of NSDs
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • FireWyrm wrote: »
    Try looking for SLS free shampoo on Ebay. You'll probably want something like liquid castille soap...see how you go with that. Alternatively, any SLS free bar soap will wash your hair just as effectively as traditional shampoo - honestly. Castille is about the purest soap there is and has been used for centuries. Make sure you buy 'cold pressed' soap and not soap made using the 'melt and pour' method (which is a cop out because they're using commercially available soap and just recasting it).

Edit. I buy all my speciality cold pressed soap from here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pamper-Cafe-Handmade-Soap-Loaf-Cold-Process-1KG-Goats-Milk-/221180902110?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item337f68bade

Liquid Castille Soap from here :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-ORGANIC-LIQUID-CASTILE-SOAP-1-LITRE-FREE-UK-P-P-/400326111695?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item5d354bb1cf

I tried making goats milk soap and it didnt work, so I bought some from the above linked shop and my daughters' skin problems have all but disappeared.

Thank-you ever so! I tracked down some local shops that sell them, but called by the pharmacy on the way home on the off-chance. No sulfate free anything, but I checked the ingredients of all products I've used for the last 5 years, and am now convinced this is my problem! But then I thought the same about washing powder, fitted clothes, caffeine, cheese, swimming....
  • Katzen wrote: »
    Having a minor freak-out as my bank balance has dropped below £100 with over a week left til payday

I do this too and I have two accounts to panic over too! Even though I know I only need £10 for bits of food, I'll still freak out! I have savings and an emergency only credit card if anything goes wrong. It stems from when I didn't have a backup plan and only had £2 to my name some days!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    OK I amend it - I need to buy Bread, Ham and an expensive bottle of shampoo :eek:

I have a skin problem that's been driving me insane for years, and I go through phases of being convinced it's this, that or the next. Now I'm convinced it's Sulfates, so I'm going to try a Sulfate free shampoo. I wondered if any of you use natural products, and can recommend a good one (or an inexpensive one)?

I haven't used it myself but I've had Lush shampoo (I think it actually comes in a bar form) recommended to me.
    The_Boss wrote: »

4) No more takeaways, more home cooking. I love a curry but only will do this if going out. £28 for a regular takeaway between 2 of us compared with buying lots of Sharwoods sauces for £1 when they were on offer and long shelf life. Much cheaper. Doesn't taste as nice as a takeaway admittedly, but nice enough to keep us ticking over and has health benefits

Have you looked at getting The Takeaway Secret book - there's a whole thread about it on here - and I can confirm it's fab

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2665259
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Katzen
    Uniform Washer
    I do this too and I have two accounts to panic over too! Even though I know I only need £10 for bits of food, I'll still freak out! I have savings and an emergency only credit card if anything goes wrong. It stems from when I didn't have a backup plan and only had £2 to my name some days!

Glad it's not just me! Hopefully this will attitude will rub off on DH too- we went browsing for houses at the weekend and it brought home the reality of what we will have to save and how long this is likely to take. Might need a few more trips tho, he's still been treating himself with the 'free' money in his paypal!
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • kerri_gt wrote: »
    I haven't used it myself but I've had Lush shampoo (I think it actually comes in a bar form) recommended to me.

I used a Lush bar for 4 months, but wasn't too keen on it. It lasted well, but was expensive, and gave me dandruff. I thought that using the bar had ruled out any artificials, but I found out they use Parabens and Sulphates in most products. When I looked up the ingredients for my bar on their website, top of the list was SLS! :mad:

I have ordered some shampoo and shower gel to try and am so excited for them to come! :j I paid £1.50 extra for faster delivery (didn't need to, but it will be worth it if I'm right!)
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    kerri_gt wrote: »

Have you looked at getting The Takeaway Secret book - there's a whole thread about it on here - and I can confirm it's fab

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2665259

Interesting -might have to order that
  • Katzen
    Uniform Washer
    The_Boss wrote: »
    Interesting -might have to order that

There seems to be 1copy going on fleabay for 99p at the mo but I'm going to be super MSE and borrow from my library. If I find it useful then I might buy but I've got a whole stack of cookbooks and def do not NEED any more!
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Katzen wrote: »
    There seems to be 1copy going on fleabay for 99p at the mo but I'm going to be super MSE and borrow from my library. If I find it useful then I might buy but I've got a whole stack of cookbooks and def do not NEED any more!

Oh, I never think of the library! I have purchased a copy of the book. It wasn't too bad at £3.60... I might have a look-see at the library this weekend though.

Oh, also thanks for all the tips people gave me for that series - I suddenly jinxed (or whatever the opposite is) as all 4 seasons became available on N£tflix yesterday. I already subscribe to Netflix, so getting my money's worth!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure