Theme Park Tips

Comments

• boybeck
    boybeck Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if this'll work in the UK but it's worth a try.

I went to the Six Flags theme park in Los Angeles and the queues for the rides were horrendous. I complained at customer services about the waiting times and they gave me the opportunity to go straight to the front of the queue on six rides, no questions asked.

I felt a bit guilty getting straight on the rides in front of people who'd queued for ages but hey I got my money's worth at the end of the day!
  • Petree
    Petree Posts: 139 Forumite
    wow...mentioned in the E-mail ;D
    Will be saving that one in the inbox :)

Disneyland paris, much the same ideas, try a learn some french for moneysaving type items, ie. "small hot choc no cream" also watch out for the waffles :o not just price wise, waist wise ::) still dieting from 2002!!

It's good, don't know why it's loosing so much money still, i would expect poorer service because of this, as whens money's tight the staff are sure to go first.

Would suggest you take the RER A from Paris Nord rather than driving, but you may have booked that already?

Pick up the virtual que tickets (not sure if thats the right name but you get the idea) since then you can get space mountain done quickly.

If your in France for a few days look at the cost of the hopper pass between disneyland and disney studios paris. If you only have the one day (renegging on my prebook tip) then pick up your tickets in advance from any disneystore, rather than risking them being full.

When the parades and shows are on it's the best time to get on busy rides, providing you don't mind missing them of course.

Honey i shrunk the audience, is also shown in different languages at different times, looking these up means you won't need to wear the multi-lingual headphones, which smell funny!!

Would suggest you give the kids an allowance for the day, there are soo many shiny plastic things that their bound to beg for hours, at least if you can play the 'it's you money card' then they can think about it and maybe you can rest for 5 minutes!!

The restaurants their are huge so the lunchtime rush shouldn't be such a problem, but try and stagger your times anyhow.

Be sure if you let some kids free with a mobile it's properly set up to ring you, it seems like trying to crack the enigma code just to call next door in france!!

I found Bouygel (sp) was the best network for me.

Bring 3 poly(e)thene bags with you, wrap phones in it, then the other, then the other, then you can go on the water rides!!

If you have essentials, such as milk powder, bring extra, who knows you might get delayed overnight, astounds me all the people on airport/airline show who only packed the exact amount, then worry when the plane is delayed?!?

Eurodisney is good, make sure you see the lion king show, it's great in the states so should be good their too!
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Free-time...

I think you will find at Alton Towers, the last two weeks of the summer term are two of the busiest all year. All the schools from the country (and further) are on park. Hell, believe me, I worked there.

Leave it until the schools break up and it's comparative bliss, everyone expects it to be packed but it isn't.

Sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    One of my greatest successes in recent years as a single parent is doing Disneyland Paris on a shoe string...If your prepared to make the drive, great savings can be made by:
    * booking your ferry on the net (https://www.ferry.co.uk)...morning start, early afternoon crossing, arrive Disney early eve and you start and finish your journey with a good nights sleep.....
    * staying at local French motorway motels (Formule1 or Premiere Class for more creature comforts).....basic accomadation but costs from £15 a night for a room for 3 people and can be prebooked on the net....If visiting Disney, try Bussey St.Georges......just 10 mins drive to the park
    * shop around for Park Tickets...my last 3 day pass was £10 cheaper (approx £62) from my local Disney store than purchasing at the park

Hope this helps anyone interested
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    WOW great tips ...

Spikey
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fabulous tip Pertree, thankyou.
  • Talking
    Talking Posts: 5 Forumite
    I have just come back from 3 weeks in orlando florida. Is it of any use to anyone for my observations. Especially with regard to the best websites for tickets to the attractions. IF NOTHING ELSE DO NOT BUY IN THE STATES. 8)
  • Free_time
    Free_time Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Free-time...

I think you will find at Alton Towers, the last two weeks of the summer term are two of the busiest all year.  All the schools from the country (and further) are on park.  Hell, believe me, I worked there.  

Leave it until the schools break up and it's comparative bliss, everyone expects it to be packed but it isn't.

Sal
    I said in my post `as long as there are no school trips in the park`

So you are saying go at the begining of the school holidays. That is BAD advice as anyone with any sense would know.
    something missing
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't post BAD advice, what's the point ???

As I said, go before the schools break up in the summer and it is packed out, schools fortnight is crazy. Much quieter in the following weeks.

You are right about October, that's if you can put up with hypothermia after your compulsory soaking on the water rides :o

Sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • Petree
    Petree Posts: 139 Forumite
    People don't argue, it depends on the park. Legoland has a few clear days at the beggining of the holidays which i assume are still in that 'isn't it nice to have the kids home' stage, before 'quick get them out the house' stage :)

I don't know what alton towers is like, but again their may be some overlap, how much i don't know. Parks tend to get different capacities for no reason, again last sunday was empty (before the rain came :)) and it was a special pirates day an all!
    Hence why i would suggest you ring the park if your only a bit away, or if visiting the area have two interchangable days, one at park one at say grannies, ensuring of course both plans are easily changable.

Additionally we don't take leisure vouchers for purchases just for admission (where do people obtain these anyhow, are they a work related bonus?), so spend them at the gate preferably.

Also for big events, such as the fireworks don't come in the morning, by late afternoon the kids are tired and i often see parents standing making 'wow' noises while little one is happily dreaming, come in at 2-3pm and you not only get a clearer day as many go home without the fireworks for various reasons but also the kids are likely to remain awake to see the fireworks :)

I'm afraid complaining about que times in the UK prob. won't work, after all we're british, it's what we do :)

Don't know much about this, but some customers have mentioned to me they do this, a house swap, americans for disneyland, parisians for disneyland paris, this works only if you live near another themepark, but i would imagine large savings can be made.

If anyone has any questions, no matter how strange you think they are (cleanest toilets by papa moles etc..) then feel free to ask them, this message is on notify and i'll try my best to get back with an answer in a few days, failing that PM me if it's something more personal.

Thanks to the people that nominated me for Post of the month, most kind, cheques and entry passes are in the post :) :P ::)

HTH

Petree
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport