How can I cancel my 3 contract?

I renewed my 18 contract with 3 0n 31st Oct this year. I have two phones (one is my husband's but is in my name) and they're both on different tariffs. I want to now downgrade my tariff to the same as my husband's but have been told I can't.

I can upgrade and pay more money but can't downgrade and pay less money-rather unsurprisingly.

Is there not a legal statement where you have a 28 day cooling off period when you take sign contracts, etc? Does this apply to a mobile phone company?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• opas
    opas Posts: 118
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you have 14 days if you renewed over the phone, I'm with 3 and this is what they told me. I think you would have needed to have acted on this a week or so ago.
  • Hi,

If you are on the new Mix & Match tariff you can cancel, click on the link below:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113342

You will need to ring today and the contract will end on the 30th of this month (this Friday). You will need to send a letter too.

Scott
  • superbmum wrote: »
    I renewed my 18 contract with 3 0n 31st Oct this year. I have two phones (one is my husband's but is in my name) and they're both on different tariffs. I want to now downgrade my tariff to the same as my husband's but have been told I can't.

I can upgrade and pay more money but can't downgrade and pay less money-rather unsurprisingly.

Is there not a legal statement where you have a 28 day cooling off period when you take sign contracts, etc? Does this apply to a mobile phone company?

Any help greatly appreciated

With upgrades on 3 you don't have the usual 14 day return, as soon you have inserted your sim and switched the phone on you have accepted the new contract. Another sneaky way by 3 giving existing customers no option of returning the phone. The 14 day return is only available to new customers. You will have been transferred through to a recorded message telling you this when you upgraded.

I hope you are both on M&M tariffs, you will have the option to cancel if you are.
  • opas
    opas Posts: 118
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Three are tricky! I didn't realise they make it as difficult as Mulerider mentions. Back in the summer I agreed a retention deal on the Talk and Text 900 (750 mins and 150 txts). After thinking about it for a few days I phoned back as I realised I wasn't using all the minutes and I'd prefer a lower tariff. 3 gave me the Talk and Text 600 (500 mins and 100 txts) on a retention deal. I was told I was allowed to do this as I was still with my 14 days. However it was a no handset retention deal (wanted to get my line rental as low as possible) so there was no phone to return when I changed my mind.

Your best bet is arguing the mix and match t&c change - that is, if you are on that tariff. Good luck!
  • find an address they do not provide coverage for - tell them you are moving house :) Worked for my OH
  • Hi
    I have moved into a new house and have no coverage at all on my 3 mobile, i bought it in dec, they are saying because i have had it more than 3 months i cant cancel it, but i cant use it, and for the next 15 months i will have to pay for no coverage on my phone. I have written to customer services in glasgow, but i am at my whits end, i need the phone for work!! PLease help I dont know what to do
    H
  • mcmanlyn
    mcmanlyn Posts: 422 Forumite
    I had the same problem when I moved & when I rang (several times) they said I couldn't cancel, so I paid £25 a month for a phone I couldn't use for about 4-5 months :(

When I rang at the end of my contract they tried to get me to stay by telling me I could get a signal 2 streets down from mine & why didn't I just go over there to use the phone!?!?!? Idiot! Yeah I'm gonna go stand on a street corner to speak to my mum/bank/boyfriend!!!
    Wondering how to have a life & not rack up more debts...
  • If there is no service to your new address you may request that the service provider arrange service for you through another service provider via interconnection. Should they refuse to do this unreasonably you may have a right to cancel the contract without any further costs.

Let me now if you require any further help on this.

Peaceful Regards
    Gus
  • Basically, I tried to cancel my contract on December 12th expecting it to end on January 13th 2009. When I called the operator wouldn't cancel, she just keep repeating "Have two, it's good to have two" and after 40minutes I relented as I was late for work. I was told I'd have 500 free texts and minutes and it'll start on January 13th.
    I tried it but on December 31st I rang to cancel, they refused stating it was passed the 14 day cooling off period, I stated I had not been told I only had 14 days but that the contract didn't start until Jan 13th. I was passed onto several operators who all sated the same thing and after 45mins I rang off.
    I emailed them and got a reply eventually stating that I was not told I had 14 days to cool off, but that it didn't matter they will not cancel the agreement.
    I replied telling them I wasn't happy and would be taking the matter further stating I would not pay Decembers bill until the contract was cancelled.

On Jan 27th an elderly woman living in my area got four calls from 3UK looking for me, each time she told them I didn't live there and on the fourth time they gave her my details so she was able to contact me, which she did. I emailed again and gave my correct phone number but again they rang the other woman asking to speak to me regarding the email I had just sent. So I rang.

When I rang I demanded to know why the other woman was called, they continually blamed me stating I had given that number, they refused to changed the number until I paid for Dec / Jan and Feb. I told them I'd pay for Dec but stated if I paid for Jan and Feb then it would mean I'd be agreeing to the unwanted contract, I was told to just pay it. After speaking to four operators I was eventually able to get the number changed and I gave them my mobile number but I asked for the numbers previously held to be read out to me, these were not my numbers and nothing to do with me, which scares me.

I then received a letter from Mike Reid, demanding payment or else they'd take action, so I wrote giving all details again stating I'd pay for Dec but that's all. I got a reply from someone (non English) stating even though I hadn't been told I had 14 days to cool off they wouldn't cancel and in reply to the elderly woman getting my details they said "sorry about that" They offered to lower the contract repayment to £10 per month telling me to gift it to someone. They also included the telephone numbers they held for me, these were totally wrong and not the one I gave them.

So I sent a letter to their Chief Exec, sent today registered but I also received a letter today from a debt collector Pre-Court Division demanding payment by March 4th.

My problems are these:-
    1) Can they hold me to this contract even th ough they didn't tell me I had 14 days to cool off and have admitted so.
    2) I feel I was forced into taking it, so does it still hold as legally binding.
    3) I work for the security services which is why my mobile was changed, having my details passed onto another is wrong but the details they hold on me are also wrong, who else's details will be wrong.

Each time I ring all I get is one foreign person after another, when you ask or quote something out of the norm they pass you onto someone else and you go round and round in circles.

So to finish, am I being silly, should I just pay up and keep this contract, to remove the hassle I am close to just doing it but would welcome your advice
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Firstly, you don't have 14 days to cancel - so you cannot hope to get them for that omission. Upgrades are specifically excluded, so if you are an existing customer and you plan to leave, they will offer a 'deal' to retain you, which will be less than others are charged. Because of this, your termination date - the earliest you can leave - will be extended by 12, 18 or 24 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure