How long to hear back from dwp after a medical?

Had my Medical today and just wanted to know how long it takes to hear back from dwp?

also the nurse who did the medical says she was sending it as a email so is that right?

she did it like 1 one email while we was there so i though they would have a online form to do it on.

if i were to fail it do they just stop money from that day then tell you? how does it work?

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    It is an online form.
    The report from your medical goes to the decisionmaker at the DWP.
    They consider it, along with any other evidence, and come to a conclusion. Usually strongly relying on the ATOS medical.

In my case this decision took two weeks after my medical.
    If you fail, your money stops from the day of the decision.

If you then appeal, once you supply a GPs note, your payments can resume at the 'assessment' rate.
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    rogerblack wrote: »
    It is an online form.
    The report from your medical goes to the decisionmaker at the DWP.
    They consider it, along with any other evidence, and come to a conclusion. Usually strongly relying on the ATOS medical.

In my case this decision took two weeks after my medical.
    If you fail, your money stops from the day of the decision.

If you then appeal, once you supply a GPs note, your payments can resume at the 'assessment' rate.

Many thanks for that.

would i need to supply a GPs note even if im being moved from ib to esa?

as ive not had to give a note from GP for ages.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Only if you are found not to qualify for ESA, and wish to appeal.
  • RazWaz
    RazWaz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It seems to be taking a while for decisions to be made at the moment. My medical was over a month ago and I've still not heard anything yet. I'm still being paid the assessment rate while I wait though.
  • I'm afraid this is a good example of a postcode lottery. I applied for ESA because of a major operation while I was on JSA. I had to wait nearly 8 months for my WCA. I had that on a Monday, and on Saturday found nearly £700 in my bank account with ESA as payee. letter arrived same day from DWP advising I had passed and put in WRAG. I understand this is exception rather than norm. By the way, I live in the wilds of the South West.

Good luck with yours
  • Trazy
    Trazy Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a medical in warrington on 10th April and got a telephone call this morning to tell me the outcome. Hope this helps
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain
    Nappies and government ministers need to be changed frequently and for the same reason
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    I waited 6 months for my 'medical' and then got my result in the post 2 weeks later. 2 days after that I received an appointment for my first 'Work Focused Interview'.
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    I had a medical on 18th april phoned them today and they said still in the WRAG and decision was done 2 days ago..
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
  • I had a medical on the 29th March 2012, I received a phone call on 7th November 2012, when housing benefit rang me, to ask "what are you going to do about not being in receipt of income support, from the 25th October 2012 (shock horror, I learned there was no money going to be in my bank on 8th November). Then I was told by DWP after learning of this, "a letter was sent out on 1st October 2012 stating I failed medical" (letter never received).

Is it meant to take this long for results?

I have been in this situation twice before since 2002, and have heard within six weeks, 6 months and a few days seems far too long for me.

Please some one help me find out if there is a maximum date, and if I have grounds to contest the time it has taken.
  • hi
    ive had my medical 4 weeks ago tomorrow. had no letter to say if i passed. im worried incase letter has got lost in the post. im very anxous about this. can any one help with a number to contact them. im in kent. nr dover. please could anyone help. many thanx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure