PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice pudding on the hob?

I usually make a wicked rice pudding in the oven but I was just wondering if it would be quicker and cheaper and lest wasteful (always take off the skin and chuck it) if I did it in a nonstick pan on the hob?

Anyone got a recipe ? and does it come out nice and thick and creamy as it does when baked in the oven for 2 hrs...?

I have searched but can't find any references to it anywhere
#6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Comments

• V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    You throw the skin away - that the best bit!! Throw it this way please :rotfl:

Don't know about on the hob - but a slow cooker makes it really creamy and no skin either.
    :hello:
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    I've made rice pudding on the hob using exactly the same recipe as I use in the oven except maybe a little less milk. You need to cook it on a very low heat though as you won't want the milk to boil over.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Also make sure that it doesn't stick to the pan - it seems to do this really easily.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks guys... I will try it out with a little less milk and see what happens
    V.lucky I could save it all up in the freezer and then send it to you:rotfl: I don't know how you can eat it its horrible and nasty....I don't have a slow cooker unfortunately
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tanith wrote:
    (always take off the skin and chuck it)

:eek: :eek: :eek: Are you quaaaazy? that's the best bit:drool: :D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • helenhugs
    helenhugs Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    lol sorry have to say i chuck the skin too, tried to eat it the 1st time & couldnt the texture made me gag.
    I couldnt imagine making it on the hob though, throw it in the oven & forget about it for a while.
    hugs
    Helen
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
    Good Enough Club member number 8
    :j £2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i find pudding flakes work better on the hob, as they cook quicker than the grained version does

flea
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I was a little girl I asked my Mum if she could make rice pudding like aunties with brown paper on top!
    I liked the skin,but haven't had it for years....might have a bash!
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I HATE the skin - my mum always used to call it 'Granfers coat'!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure