BT 2013 price increases

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lynsey wrote: »
    We were talking to a manager who works at a BT call-centre last year and he even stated how amazed he was of the market share that BT has.
    People just seem reluctant to leave them!!

We've just negotiated a new 12 month contract with TalkTalk and by paying up-front for the line rental (£114 per year, saving £60 and works out at £9.50 p/m), we are paying £16.75 p/m for all-time calls, unlimited internet, free 0845, free 0870 etc ..................... and including line rental!!
    Maybe not the best deal, but just slightly over the new BT line rental. loll
    Get away from BT - crazy being loyal to an expensive service.

Lynsey

The clue is in the name; British Telecom, British Gas, British Airways. Decades after privatisation, people still think they are somehow the 'official' national suppliers and so must be more reliable.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    The clue is in the name; British Telecom, British Gas, British Airways. Decades after privatisation, people still think they are somehow the 'official' national suppliers and so must be more reliable.

That's possible, but I do think people may be "scared" to switch.
    Orange would have been better for us taking into account any cashback from say Topcashback, but not to any real significant amount and obviously would depend on getting the cashback.
    Orange is worth looking at if you are already an Orange mobile customer (you get a £5 discount).
    I can't remember what the manager stated was BT's market share, but it was massive!!!
    I'm sure he stated their market share was over 50%, but that's only a guess.

It is personal choice at the end of the day, but there is no need to pay "silly" prices.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We stay with BT because my OH is a gamer and cains the downloads/internet.

We know how much he uses and if we went with other companies we would get hit big time with extra charges

£35 per month = line rental, unlimited weekend/evening calls, broadband option 3
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Start with an exchange search on https://www.samknows.com for your LLU options.
    Sadly a big fat X next to all the LLU operator presence in my area!:eek:
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I only use BT for line rental, I switched years ago for LLU broadband (Aquiss/C&W) and telephone (Primus). I am amazed just how much BT now charge for line rental its gone up a lot in real terms past few years, trouble is some other companies follow suit in any case although maybe dont charge as much

I been seriously thinking of leaving BT for Sky and there fibre package. I just like a rock solid connection and no limits
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pawlala wrote: »
    Sadly a big fat X next to all the LLU operator presence in my area!:eek:
    OK, so you can still choose from any of the BT resellers: Plusnet, Zen, Eclipse...and many more.
    If you want the cheapest package, then Plusnet Value is likely to be the one, even on a Market 1 exchange @ £12.99pm after 3 months , but it comes with a 10GB monthly cap, which may not suit you. And Quidco cashback is available.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    OK, so you can still choose from any of the BT resellers: Plusnet, Zen, Eclipse...and many more.
    If you want the cheapest package, then Plusnet Value is likely to be the one, even on a Market 1 exchange @ £12.99pm after 3 months , but it comes with a 10GB monthly cap, which may not suit you. And Quidco cashback is available.

But with Plusnet usage between midnight and 8am doesn't count, and neither does the cap apply then - so you could for example schedule all your i-player downloads for then.

And if you exceed the cap (and don't want to pay for more), it keeps working at no extra charge. Instead your speed is capped - to about 256K (0.25Mb). Not long ago that was considered an OK speed, and its still fine for normal uses such as web browsing, banking, email, etc; just not fast enough for video and gaming.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 August 2012 at 10:13AM
    Looks like skys line rental has now gone up

It was the other week £12.25 now its £14.50 reported on there site, so 10p cheaper than BT

according to this thread sky for new customers only are stopping the free off peak calls only weekends

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/65/33689419-sky-line-rental.html

sky also now state

Sky Talk Weekends and Sky Line Rental

Inclusive weekend calls to UK# landlines, plus cheaper line rental than BT’s standard monthly price.

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    In many cases you are now cheaper to use your mobile for daytime calls as well as calling other mobiles. I pay 8ppm for all calls (including mobiles and 08 numbers) on Tesco Mobile Lite. Some other networks are cheaper still to landlines (5ppm Lyca, Lebara) but charge more for mobiles and 08 numbers.

We are now in the crazy situation where the cheapest way to call another BT landline often ISN'T from your BT landline!!
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    I'm still within an 18 month contract with BT but after reading about these pending increases, I plan on canceling.

I understand they'll announce it in September or October if you have an online account but can I cancel now, before they've announced it? If not then I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for the accouncement and immediately get on the phone.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure