Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Comments

• furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The panels do need cleaning once or twice a year.
  • furndire wrote: »

Or you could just let the rain clean them for you. I've had my panels for over a year now and no maintenance has been necessary.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Suppose the insurance company will want some extra too?

Nope. Checked with mine when I had it installed - it was covered automatically.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • cheers guys. so it's just Taz that's stuffed then. only joking.

I suppose thats when you need these forums to jump in and help.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Or you could just let the rain clean them for you. I've had my panels for over a year now and no maintenance has been necessary.

If you Google 'cleaning PV panels' you will see many people think cleaning is necessary.

I suppose it depends on several factors - where you live, slope of roof, dusty, bird droppings. etc. Leave your car outside - particularly in urban areas - for a couple of weeks, without being driven, and look how filthy it gets.

A film of dust etc is difficult to notice but could obviously affect output by a couple of percentage points.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    If you Google 'cleaning PV panels' you will see many people think cleaning is necessary.

Yes, mainly solar panel cleaning companies or companies selling solar panel cleaning systems.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Couldn't have put it better Cardew. Our roof is a steeper pitch than optimum - the snow slid off really quickly last year, but my oh has cleaned them a couple of times - just manages to reach with a hose, attached to one of those long pole type window cleaners.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    cheers guys. so it's just Taz that's stuffed then. only joking.

I suppose thats when you need these forums to jump in and help.
    Hi

No matter what you're told about insurance on this forum please do check with your particular insurer.

It is very likely that the panels will be covered, however it is unadvisable to assume that they are .... there is also the issue of the level of buildings insurance you have compared to the rebuild cost of the property+the additional cost of the panels ... this could leave you in a position where you are underinsured. Insurance companies tend to be quite tight on paying out so if you're underinsured expect to lose out .... the other end of the scale is overinsurance, a situation where they just trouser the overpayment and say 'thank you', however any payout will reflect what they believe is reasonable, not the value (over)insured.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Yes, mainly solar panel cleaning companies or companies selling solar panel cleaning systems.

Well I live in a rural area and have 5 velux windows.

Washing them with a hose simply does not remove the 'grime' - it needs a sponge and soapy water. If I miss a bit it notices from the inside.

I have no idea how much solar panel output is affected in UK - if at all - this is from an official California State advice website:
    Dirt and dust Dirt and dust can accumulate on the solar module surface, blocking some of the sunlight and reducing output. Much of California has a rainy season and a dry season. Although typical dirt and dust is cleaned off during every rainy season, it is more realistic to estimate system output taking into account the reduction due to dust buildup in the dry season.

A typical annual dust reduction factor to use is 93% or 0.93. So the “100watt module,” operating with some accumulated dust may operate on average at about 79 Watts (85 Watts x 0.93 = 79 Watts).

So they use a figure of 7%.
    Sunlight can be absorbed by dust, snow, or other impurities at the surface of the module. This can cut down the amount of light that actually strikes the cells by as much as half. Maintaining a clean module surface will increase output performance over the life of the module.

http://webpages.shepherd.edu/KWURST01/photovoltaic_information/factors_effecting_output.html

<H2>Panel Cleanliness

Photovoltaic panels are often exposed to extreme weather conditions and over time grime and dust begins to accumulate on the panel surface. Only a few milligrams of dust per square centimeter can reduce panel output by 90% or more. The occasional rain storm is usually enough to clean off the grime buildup but some locations do not receive enough rain and may require manual cleaning to maintain optimum panel conditions.
    </H2>
  • Cardew wrote: »
    I have no idea how much solar panel output is affected in UK - if at all - this is from an official California State advice website:

Dirt and dust Dirt and dust can accumulate on the solar module surface, blocking some of the sunlight and reducing output. Much of California has a rainy season and a dry season. Although typical dirt and dust is cleaned off during every rainy season, it is more realistic to estimate system output taking into account the reduction due to dust buildup in the dry season.

A typical annual dust reduction factor to use is 93% or 0.93. So the “100watt module,” operating with some accumulated dust may operate on average at about 79 Watts (85 Watts x 0.93 = 79 Watts).

So they use a figure of 7%.

I too have no idea how much solar panel output is affected by dirt in the UK however I do have solar panels installed on my roof and I do know how much electricity they have generated over the past fifteen months.

My experience thus far tells me that there is no need to clean them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure