IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Car Parking Partnership

Im a student at keele university and there is a private company that tickets on campus. They are called car parking partnership. Anyway I parked on the pavement with no pay and display ticket. I got a CPN. My mate who parked in front of me got a ticket even though she had a pay ad display.

Can i get out of it?

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    It's a very well known site, frequently being mentioned on other forums.

There was some mention of the Uni threatening to withold Graduation for non-payment I think! Ridiculous.

As so often mentioned there is clearly a problem there.

Basically this is a private ticket and only enforceable via contract law. To be so they have to prove you agreed to a contract (via signage etc)

These ppc s tend to send loads of threatening letters re debt collectors Court action, bauliffs etc. This is all bluff. Only a very tiny percentage ever reach Court - something like 0.1 % (if that). Many then lose.

Very often the original ticket is illegal through use of wrong terminology and so is subsequent paperwork.

There is no point in appealing at all. Best advice is to completely ignore them.

They tend to go away after about 6 nasty letters.

speak to your SU cos, as I said, well known site.
  • cdti
    cdti Posts: 30 Forumite
    i paid up 4 times last year, but that was a different car!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    cdti wrote: »
    i paid up 4 times last year, but that was a different car!

Proof that students are stupid.
  • Neillgb
    Neillgb Posts: 574 Forumite
    cdti wrote: »
    Im a student at keele university and there is a private company that tickets on campus. They are called car parking partnership. Anyway I parked on the pavement with no pay and display ticket. I got a CPN. My mate who parked in front of me got a ticket even though she had a pay ad display.

Can i get out of it?

Why not get even??

Do your homework(no pun intended:D ), it's all on this site, and write to the University pointing out the behaviour of the parking company. Pay particular attention to the fact that their 'penalties' are unenforceable. Make sure everybody at the Uni knows. Put it in the Uni rag and on the Notice boards etc!!!! What about putting some leaflets on the Uni bar..........
  • Conor wrote: »
    Proof that students are stupid.

No, proof that students are generally law abiding citizens, just less experienced than their elders.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    No, proof that students are generally law abiding citizens,

Of course they are. Want to hazard a guess at the percentage who do drugs?
  • Probably the same as trolls. Merry Christmas.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Conor wrote: »
    Of course they are. Want to hazard a guess at the percentage who do drugs?

I would hazard a guess at it being somewhat marginal in comparison to our 1960/70s 'free love', pot smoking, lsd championing peers. wind your neck in you OAP.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Neil_B wrote: »
    There was some mention of the Uni threatening to withold Graduation for non-payment I think! Ridiculous.

I remember that thread. The poster making those claims was either a PPC troll or an OCD joker with a hazy grip on reality.

The Uni can only withold Graduation for monies owed directly to them. PPC operating contracts almost invariably involve an ex-gratia payment for every ticket paid, so there is no contractural or legal link/obligation to the Uni to worry about.

And a quick check of the company involved last time showed that is exactly how they operate. :)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would hazard a guess at it being somewhat marginal in comparison to our 1960/70s 'free love', pot smoking, lsd championing peers. wind your neck in you OAP.

This - Students these days tend to be a remarkably straight and boring bunch. Not like in my day at all. :o:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure