OR taking money from bank account

I'm seeking some urgent advice.

I was made BR at the start of January and had my F2F interview (I owed a lot of money to HMRC) on the 17th January.

The OR said during the meeting that, since my income just about matches my share of the household expenses, they had no interest in my bank account, especially as the money that was in there was for rent, food etc. The lady confirmed that she would write to the bank to confirm that.

Today at 1615, so about a month after the interview, an amount of money equal to the balance on the day of my interview has been taken out of my account leaving me unable to pay my rent this month. I have had no correspondence at all from the OR.

I'm left to spend the weekend with no money and the worry of what will now happen to my house. I know I can (and will) call the OR on Monday but what chance they will give the money back?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Hi,
    I think it is far more likely that your bank has done that - not the OR.
    You obviously should contact the OR, and my thoughts are that the money will be returned to you.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Thanks very much. It is an odd transfer in that it is a Faster Payments Online transaction and is for the exact amount that was in my account the day I had my F2F but the only reference is a 16 digit number. I have had absolutely no communication since from the OR since the F2F but the bank have referred me back to them so I will call first thing on Monday morning.
  • Do you have any debts with the same banking group?
    If so this could be the forerunner to closure of the account.

..Before you say that the OR did not have any problem with you keeping the account open the bank may have different ideas.
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Even if you don't have debts with the banking group the bank may not allow you to have an account with them. I banked with Lloyds at the time of my BR and was told by the bank they 'may' allow me to keep an account, but a different department had the final say. I decided not to take a chance and opened a BR friendly account.
  • No debts with the bank, they have frozen/closed the account with the remaining money now unavailable to me.
  • The OR will advise your bank to freeze your accounts while they investigate, once its done you can then access the account. Typically it's 48-72 hours for a straight forward BR but can be longer for complicated ones with more bank accounts.
    You can contact the OR to contact your bank to release money but it is at their discretion if they will. Would your landlord be prepared to wait?
  • There was only this one account. I called the OR yesterday but the lady I!!!8217;m dealing with wasn!!!8217;t really interested, she promised to call me back today but didn!!!8217;t. I am now at my wits end, can!!!8217;t buy food, go to work or pay the rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure