Working time directive for mobile workers

Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone knows where I would stand with the following legally?

I’m on a 35hour contract with my current employer doing a mobile management role. I provide cover and support to our retail units across an area of around 70miles.

At present, I get paid for 35 hours and mileage on top but most weeks I can spend between 10 and 15 hours a week travelling to and from various locations in addition to working the 35 hours - meaning most weeks in working between 45 and 50 hours, sometimes more.

I’ve done some research and found that in 2015 a law was passed to say that workers who do not have a fixed place of work should have travel time included in their hours.

Is this true and would this apply to me in my role? If so, should I speak to my p and p department? How should I deal with this?

I have mentioned the large amount of travel time I’m doing to my direct line manager a few weeks ago just to be told ‘you’re paid more to cover that’ but in actual fact I don’t believe I am as there are single location managers who are paid not much less than me. I also feel that others in the business doing my role are being given more allowances for their travel time.

Thank you in advance for you help!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    They can be counted as "work time" but they don't have to pay any extra.

unless the other law that requires min wages kicks in.
  • So, just to confirm, as my contract states I work 35 hours per week this should include the travel time? Not necessarily pay me more but keep hours worked, inclusive of travel, to 35?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The contract for many salaried roles includes a 'catch-all' along the lines of "such reasonable overtime as may be necessary". The definition of 'reasonable' can be the problem.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm mobile with 35 hours contract, all driving, flying etc is included in the 35 hours. We don't get overtime but we get Toil. This is all explained in our employees hand book.
  • Ahh... sneaky! I’ll have a proper look in my contract. Thanks
  • I'm part office based, part mobile. On those days when I'm mobile, all walking / driving / train etc. over and above what it would normally take me to get to the office are counted towards my 37 hours. No overtime pay but, like comeandgo above, I get time off in lieu.
  • When I worked as a Service Engineer at my last place, we were often classed as mobile due to having to be on call and working out of hours. We were contracted to a 40 hour week but were often working about 70 on a regular basis. Before signing the contract we had to opt out of the working time regs, this was a none negotiable part of the job.

Once that was signed though,that was it. Some of my shifts were ridiculous and pretty sure they were in breach of the law. My second week there was something like this -

Monday - 6AM - 5PM , 7PM - 3AM
    Tuesday - 8AM - 6PM - 11PM - 4AM

And so on. Basically this was your working routine as you had to do your daily standard hours for the most part and then call outs and service jobs after. Wasn't unusual for me to do a 10 hour shift or so, have 1-2 hours at home, do another 6/7 hours, then be in again the next day about 5 hours later.

A few workers had left and reported this but so far nothing has come of it, I also left after a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure