Who or what company owns the PAC code ID mobile number ?

MoneyMate
MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 6 December 2017 at 10:39AM in Mobiles
Hi hope you can help today I have discovered my number is shared with another phone.

Originally my number came with a ASDA sim, then ported to Sainsburys mobile which then disappeared from the marketplace so ported to my current provider ID all were PAYG Three Network.

All was OK till today when I discovered that recently my number was enabled on a 1P contract phone.

If I ported my number over to another sim who would keep the working number, currently I can make calls and it comes off my monthly quota BUT all incoming calls / texts go to the other phone 1P contract.

Is There a simple answer so I don't have change my number, if your confused how to you think I feel, any sensible suggestions welcome please
There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
:)
:A UK Resident :A

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2017 at 1:06AM
    Numbers are allocated to telecoms providers in blocks. There's a set of spreadsheets on Ofcom's numbering downloads page detailing those allocations.

Individual numbers can be ported out to other providers. However, if the deal is terminated, the number reverts to the provider it was originally allocated to.

What happens when a provider ceases to exist can be complicated and messy especially if the number was originally allocated to that provider rather than ported in. Where it's a number that has been ported in, and then out again, things should be simpler but it appears there is some sort of flaw in the system.

Presumably, as well as you porting out to ID, somehow ASDA have assumed the number has reverted to them as unallocated to a customer and they have subsequently given it out to a different customer who has since ported it to 1P.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I wonder if at some stage you allowed the SIM (and therefore number) to become dormant? This would have allowed the network to reissue it.

Ultimately, all Mobile numbers are owned by Ofcom and are returnable to them.
  • MoneyMate
    pmduk wrote: »
    I wonder if at some stage you allowed the SIM (and therefore number) to become dormant? This would have allowed the network to reissue it.

Thanks for all information so far so basically the buck stops with Ofcom ?
    How can I now get my number back to save having to reset my security with things like Banks etc. :beer:
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When you call out what CLI number is presented on the receiving phone?
    ====
  • MoneyMate
    pmduk wrote: »

Certainly I'm classed as a low user only a few minutes per month, the same for texts but my number ending in 000 must be very tempting for others to sell on at a premium.
  • MoneyMate
    d123 wrote: »
    When you call out what CLI number is presented on the receiving phone?
    Yes the number is displayed, technical department at 1p did not believe this could happen so I phoned him with my mobile and it came up on his system.
    1p also phone the other chap the same both phones have the same number, i can only phone out, he receives my calls and texts :mad:
  • MoneyMate wrote: »
    Yes the number is displayed, technical department at 1p did not believe this could happen so I phoned him with my mobile and it came up on his system.
    1p also phone the other chap the same both phones have the same number, i can only phone out, he receives my calls and texts :mad:

What did 1p say they would do as you're the original 'owner' of the number?

I'd have thought that they'd have to replace the other persons number?
  • MoneyMate
    What did 1p say they would do as you're the original 'owner' of the number?

I'd have thought that they'd have to replace the other persons number?

1p technical chap said their director would phone me over the weekend on my home phone of course as my my mobile number goes to the other chap :mad:
  • MoneyMate
    ID recommended I phoned the police, which got me nowhere apart from a 15p charge for using 101.
    It cost me 54p to phone my own number to speak to the chap who has the new contract with 1p.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The key to understanding this is what number the other person thinks they have.

There are three possibilities here:

The scenario you describe where the number has been accidentally duplicated.

A routing error ie calls to your number are being routed to the wrong SIM. (There is no central database of phone numbers and so when you port a number the call actually goes to your original provider who route it to your current provider - you can find out more about this on the Ofcom website - sometimes the original network makes a mistake during porting and forwards the call incorrectly) In this case the other person would have a different number and be wondering why they have strange calls and text.

The final possibility is that 1p (or whoever handles it for them) have put a redirect in place.

This is further complicated by some virtual operators paying the host network to do things like this on their behalf. Others do it themselves.

The best way to handle this is to insist that it's handled as a failed port by the MNP team at your operator. Depending on which scenario it is could mean it takes a while to resolve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure