Tales from The Shire

Fortune_Smiles
Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,018
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 4 May 2018 at 7:46PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    Where to start?

Clean all the Things!

The house is filthy. I don’t think the floors have been cleaned since the house was built :eek: I’ve made a start but there is still a lot to do. I’m going to have to get professionals in to clean the kitchen floor it’s so bad :eek:

Unpack all the Things!

I’m cleaning one room at a time and unpacking after. I think we’re about half way there judging by the number of boxes left. Mr F has already committed the route to the tip to memory.

Buy Stuff

I’m concentrating on ‘needs’ but the urgency for some stuff, and a lack of broadband up until now, has meant I haven’t got the very best deal I could have. There is a budget and we are within that so it’s a matter of making sure I do the proper research and take a little more time to consider going forward.

Barn Raise

We have no secure garaging or storage at the moment but we do have a dilapidated outbuilding. This needs to be renovated quickly and we have kept some money back for the work.

Pay Off the Mortgage

We have the same size mortgage now as when we first moved to the Garden of England twelve years ago. Our financial position has improved since then so it’s not as big relatively speaking. It’s still too big for our liking though so I plan to make a regular overpayment each month plus add all the usual tidies to that. Once we're settled I'll look into some other money making schemes.

Help

We are currently contributing the maximum amount to a First Time Buyer’s ISA for DS1 and his GF. We’d like to continue this so that they get the most interest they can. There is a limit on how much we’ll contribute though so we’ll be making the last payment in March 2018.

That should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Congratulations on your new home fortune! Good luck with getting everything sorted! Loving the new diary already!! big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Looking forward to reading about your new adventures Fortune :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Happy new diary, I look forward to hearing more abut your plans.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Joining you for the ride Fortune. Have subscribed. Quite excited to have caught the beginning of your new diary.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Hi Fortune, look forward to catching up with you.

Best wishes Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wishing you a happy and wonderful new home x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Looking forward to following your progress; am sure you will be a great success!
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    How lovely to see you all :wave: thank you for the good wishes.

Today has moved us forward a little:
    • the Living Room is clean and we have worked out where to put the furniture. Eventually I think we will need a corner sofa but that's not a priority at the moment. We have chairs - we just need more of them :rotfl: Some small occasional tables are needed so I will look out for them on the Bay of E
    • the new oven arrived :j I can put the camping stove away at last :rotfl: This was a necessary purchase as our old oven was integrated and there wasn't one here
    • we've realised we need a house sign. A courier delivered a couple of packages today and left them a little way down the road. For some reason a sign for the house is there rather than on our gate. The existing sign is wooden and rotted through so we won't be able to move it.
    • Mr F arranged for a couple of companies to come and quote for the barn repairs
    • I chased up our solicitor as we haven't had the completion balance refunded yet. It was supposed to reach us two days after completion but it seems our solicitor went on holiday without doing it :eek: Good job we're not desperate for the money. Perhaps we'll get some interest ;)

We are having a day off from cleaning tomorrow. I haven't left the house since we got here so feel I need a break. We will be popping into the market town to do a bit of house shopping and start exploring. There's a little left of this month's fun money so we might even stretch to lunch out :D

Something I've noticed about The Shire is the number of butterflies here. They fly through the house every day :D

Hope the downpours have missed you

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy exploring :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback