Taking Control and Making It Happen

Comments

• MissLemon
    MissLemon Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Combo Breaker
    It was originally January 2035. So if we can do it well be paying off 12 years early.

I'll add that to my signature,
    Original MF Date January 2035. MF Date February 2022
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    we're very similar. original was June 2036, but aiming for Dec 2023.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just read your thread good luck with the mf journey.
    Each time we have re mortgaged we have paid a little extra off as well if we had spare funds, so doesn't take you over your 10% annual allowance.

We would love to move to the Peak District but also relies on OH being able to re locate if we can do it mf even better.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • MissLemon
    we're very similar. original was June 2036, but aiming for Dec 2023.
    I'll be following your diary- hopefully we'll both make it in 2023 if not before!
  • MissLemon
    genieuk wrote: »
    Just read your thread good luck with the mf journey.
    Each time we have re mortgaged we have paid a little extra off as well if we had spare funds, so doesn't take you over your 10% annual allowance.

We would love to move to the Peak District but also relies on OH being able to re locate if we can do it mf even better.

Thanks Genie!

I never realised how much effort is involved to move to a different part of the country until we started looking into it. It will make a huge difference to us to be able to do it MF!
  • MissLemon
    Called our electricity supplier today. I gave a meter reading at the weekend, just in time to catch our next bill. The bill should be ready to view by tomorrow and I'll have an update on how much we are in debit then.

The electricity bill is our biggest utility expense as it is our only source of fuel for heating (apart from an open fire in the living room), water and everything, including an old immersion heater which uses up a lot of energy (especially when you forget to turn it off for a few hours...). Currently we are paying £173 per month to cover debit and use for two people and a dog that feels the cold! So if I can get our debit down before winter and switch to a new supplier I can use some of the savings from that on OP.
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good luck with the electric! I have two dogs that feel the cold (they're whippets so don't have much fat) so I bought them a fleece jumper each with sleeves that go down their front legs to keep them warm from Ebay! Lol!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • MissLemon
    Just got our new electric bill through. We are currently £199.67 in debit which means we should pay it all off by September.

I can't work out whether I will be better off waiting until September to change supplier once the debit is clear or pay off the debit and switch now. £199 is a lot of money to find if it doesn't actually work out cheaper over the next 2 months.
  • MissLemon
    Jessy103 wrote: »
    I have two dogs that feel the cold (they're whippets so don't have much fat) so I bought them a fleece jumper each with sleeves that go down their front legs to keep them warm from Ebay! Lol!

We have a few coats for our dog but can never find a jumper to fit him as he is a small staffy so his proportions don't often fit the usual sizes. Even when I knitted him a jumper it still came out too big :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Welcome to the madhouse Miss Lemon :) I love your goal and have subscribed!

Good luck! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure