Advice regarding account fee claim

Hi everyone

Since 2008 when I started working full time and my pay was going into my account with Lloyd’s TSB that I had when I was a child.I remember after a few months I got an unplanned overdraft fee of £21 So I went into my bank asked if there was anything they could do about the fee and they got me to sit with a staff member and she mentioned that my account was basicly basic child’s account and I ended up coming out with a gold account that I was paying £7 a month for 3 months then £12 after that.

I have had this account all the way up until November last year when I went in to speak about a loan. While doing the loan application the staff member said to me we will get rid of that gold account and do I ever use it which I said just for the overdraft which she explained the benefits that I never used and to
Be honest I didn’t realised I had. When I got the account fee I didn’t drive , never went abroad and I’ve never claimed for mobile phone insurance.The staff member in TSB said I could of got a overdraft for free and I only got a lower interest on the first £150
Overdrawn so the account wasn’t worth me having. She took the account straight off for me.

Since then I noticed on this site a few weeks ago I could actually try to claim it back.I filled in the form and sent it to
TSB with proof of when the account fee started and finished and also the first unplanned overdraft fee. I got a response from TSB on the 5th feb telling me they forwarded my complaint to loyds because at the time I was sold it by Lloyd’s apparently.

I am just wanting to know by anyone on here if I’ve done the right thing to claim it back? And do you think I’m actually entitled to claim it back , I’ve heard nothing from loyds but on my letter I only put address didn’t put phone number

I’ve paid the fee since nov 2008 and finished nov 2017 , my bank was Lloyd’s tsb at the time then I got passed to TSB when they split.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am just wanting to know by anyone on here if I!!!8217;ve done the right thing to claim it back?

You have a right to complain if you felt they did something wrong.
    And do you think I!!!8217;m actually entitled to claim it back , I!!!8217;ve heard nothing from loyds but on my letter I only put address didn!!!8217;t put phone number

We dont have enough to go on to offer an opinion.

Lloyds will acknowledge the complaint in writing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Daniel_G18 wrote: »
    I got a response from TSB on the 5th feb telling me they forwarded my complaint to loyds because at the time I was sold it by Lloyd!!!8217;s apparently.
    I'd resend your original complaint to Lloyds yourself if I were you. There have been several instances reported on the forum of such forwarded mail being somehow lost in transit.

As to the validity of your complaint, your sketchy outline leads me to believe that Lloyds may well refund you if you have definitely not ever used any of the account benefits..

Duplicate thread here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5794892
  • Hi

Yea I never used anything, to be honest I didn’t even know what I had I just used the overdraft which I thought I needed the account for. I never realised you could get a overdraft without having a paid account
  • This branch that I took the account with was the same one I went into to get a loan and they wanted me to get insurance incase I had to stop working which the advisor told me “if you got struck down with a terminal illness who would pay your loan payments?” And saying could my perents afford to pay it if anything happened to me ,I ended up taking the insurance then cancelling it the next day because I felt so uneasy in the interview for the loan. This was around 7 years ago so I know makes no difference but I started to hate going in and getting asked if I wanted to speak to an advisor.

My account I was pretty much stuck an overdraft for years with them so kept paying £6 overdraft fee and at one point was paying around £25 interest a month on a 2k overdraft and aswell as £13 for the account fee.
  • Little bit of an update after receiving the tsb letter explaining it was loyds that sold me the account so they have forwarded my complaint to them. I then received a letter from loyds telling me they have received complaint and will look into it for me. This was around 8th feb and I’ve heard nothing since.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Daniel_G18 wrote: »
    I then received a letter from loyds telling me they have received complaint and will look into it for me. This was around 8th feb and I’ve heard nothing since.
    They have eight weeks to consider your complaint so, four weeks on, you have a while still to go...
  • Oh I read was 14 days must of read that wrong. Am I right I’m thinking they would only refund max of 6 years ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No, they may not refund anything at all unless you can show you're in current financial hardship, and if they did, it might be six months of charges or some interest waived. You will not be getting years of payments back at all.

If you're complaining about the loan, if it was single premium, it's virtually guaranteed you'll get the PPI back.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Daniel_G18
    Daniel_G18 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 9:39PM
    What I am complaining about is paying for a gold account with loyds being misold as when I got it I was advised I needed it to get an overdraft when I started working full time and I had a direct debit come out before I got paid so ended up paying £21 in charge so I went into the bank and they told me I needed a diffrent account because mine was classed as basic account that!!!8217;s was opened when I was child. They never once offered me an overdraft with a none fee paying account. I didn!!!8217;t drive, never had been abroad and so I really don!!!8217;t think I should of been advised to get this account.

When I!!!8217;ve had numourous meetings for loans and refinancing but never was explained the account was not worth me having because I never used any of the benifits.It took me to have a meeting with TSB about refinancing for them to go through the gold account and explaine it was pretty much worthless to me because I never used any of benifits and I was only saving 1.5% interest on first £200 overdraft.So basicly £13 I was paying wasn!!!8217;t worth the interest I was saving and especially when I haven!!!8217;t used any of the benifits and from what I!!!8217;ve read you have to register for the phone insurance before you claim and I have never registered
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Make your complaint about the packaged bank account on that basis.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure