Need advice been dismissed after 33yrs service

Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.I have been dismissed for fraud and misuse of time misuse of council property when carrying out my overtime and union duties ,I got my appeal next month build no hope,y employer has single me out when me and finish is common practice,an I asked for permission me my line manàger has lied, management refused to show other workers trackers stating dàta protection,when infact identafcation can be hidden ,any advice please would be m9re than welcome

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Troll alert ��������
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    Troll alert ��������
    Why?

Maybe, maybe not, but the points are valid for other posters.
    (A) The OP is in a union so that is where they should turn for advice
    (B) Just because something is common practice, or other people do it, does not mean that someone cannot be dismissed for it. The OP appears to agree that they have done what they are accused of; and these are serious allegations. Dismissal for gross misconduct would be well within the range of outcomes available to the employer. I can see no reason why the dismissal is not fair. Nor do I expect it to be the last one, now that the employer knows that others are doing the same thing.
    (C) The OP appears to suggest they may have been a union official of some type. If you are a union organiser, then you need to be squeaky clean - you never give an employer an opportunity to discipline you. You also have a responsibility to point out to others if they are putting their own employment in jeopardy through their own actions, and if misconduct is commonplace you need to make it clear to your members the consequences of misconduct - not join in!
  • Martinosad wrote: »
    Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.I have been dismissed for fraud and misuse of time misuse of council property when carrying out my overtime and union duties ,I got my appeal next month build no hope,y employer has single me out when me and finish is common practice,an I asked for permission me my line manàger has lied, management refused to show other workers trackers stating dàta protection,when infact identafcation can be hidden ,any advice please would be m9re than welcome
    Are you basically saying you claimed for more hours than you actually worked?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Without a lot more more information no one is going to be able to advise.
  • sangie595
    Without a lot more more information no one is going to be able to advise.

To some extent. But tbh there is enough in there (if you know council's) to be very clear on the advice. In particular one aspect - the allegations include a big hint, "fraud and misuse of time misuse of council property when carrying out my overtime and union duties". In disciplinary terms no council will touch a dismissal that includes anything to do with union duties unless they have a 250% ironclad case. Often, not even then. They had enough to dismiss based on fraud and misuse of time and council property. To have gone this far, they are certain of themselves. Beyond certain. And the OP has been clear too - their defence is that others have done the same thing, which translates as an admission they have done these things they are accused of. If they have not, now is the time to say so. Otherwise, I would agree that I would hold out no hope of the appeal having any effect.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Was the facilities agreement working and did you comply with it?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    To the OP, sangie595 is the expert on all things 'union' from what I have read over the past couple of years, so I would certainly put more weight behind his/her comment and information than that of some others who may post into the topic.
  • sangie595
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    To the OP, sangie595 is the expert on all things 'union' from what I have read over the past couple of years, so I would certainly put more weight behind his/her comment and information than that of some others who may post into the topic.
    Thank you, but to be fair, it's a "simple" relationship. No sensible employer, and even when they are vindictive or wrong, councils are "sensible", wants to face a claim for unfair dismissal for trade union activity. Hence why you have to be squeaky clean on everything else if you are a union officer. Because it's the other stuff they go for. If there is a hint of dismissal because of trade union membership/ activity, then it doesn't matter what else the employer has on you - you rush that it is automatically unfair. Nobody wants to go there. And I'm guessing that the OPs union has told them that - they can't win a tribunal. Probably why they are here.

And I get it. I even have some sympathy because I can take a good guess at the type of work they do, and whilst it is wrong, in those jobs there is a culture of false timekeeping, cutting corners, and not actually working when they should. A culture that should never have been allowed to exist in the first place, but runs deep - to the earliest days of councils. It's management's fault for allowing it to exist and to continue. But there's a new culture in management - sack everyone they catch doing it. It's black and white. And it's a great way for them to reduce the workforce without paying out redundancy. I don't know any public sector union that doesn't know about this. Out of probably 16 councils within 50 miles of me I can confidently say that the vast majority have dismissed people for exactly these reasons. And the worst thing is that whilst I have sympathy, they are right to. False timekeeping and misuse of council resources was never acceptable and isn't right. But equally, that should have always been the view of management, and the fact that it was not only condoned, but even encouraged, means that older workers are being disproportionately dismissed for doing what had always been accepted as a "perk" of the job. I can't help but feel for people in that situation, even if they are in the wrong.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I agree that you have to feel for people who have been caught out by what was common practice and are now in a situation where they have no effective defence. I suppose you could use the analogy of everybody speeding but that being no defence if you happen to be the one who gets stopped.
    From a personal view, false timekeeping isn't and never has been acceptable although over the years I've known plenty who have done it and got away with it - including managers!
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    I can see why the first person thinks this is a troll post, I'm undecided.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure