No Redundancy Notice? Something Fish?

Hi

I wanted to know if someone can help me out, as we are due to see a solicitor to discuss, a Radom redundancy?

I have a niece Currently job hunting.

My niece use to work for Hawes and Curtis. Now randomly out the blue they closed the shop, No notice, not even the managers there on holiday she claimed.

I asked her what notice was given, she said, non literally close the shop, dismantled in front of her eyes.

Upon asking her apparently No statutory Notice was given? which is bizzare. considering there permanent staff.

Upon speaking to her, she informed me how HR personnel, was acting strangely in attempting to offer on the spot redundancy, No notice prior hand. I through statutory rights protect employees.

Reason offered: Charles thyritte competitor down the road, paying more rent so landlord demanded more?

It's at this point I smell smoothing very fishy going on.

Business landlord cannot simply demand on the spot rent raise can they? Isn't there usually is a consultation before hand with business. Furthermore then they would inform staff what will happen in a notice period? As they even given statutory notice. Is this not a breach?

The situation upon speaking to her, made me think its so bizarre, one minute your trading, next you shut shop and you have a dodgy HR person character ( as she put it) speaking to her handing out redundancy, on the spot, No statuary Notice?? immediate effect

We are currently looking into taking this further into an employment tribunal and wanted some advice?

I am really concerned into how this has played out, upon speaking to her she said how the business was operating in more fishy methods? extending to Counterfeit items?? Which makes me think, what kind of business is it?

If anyone could offer advice before we seek legal advice, It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    How long had she worked there.

What was the package offered.
  • 3 weeks pay

worked there over 1 year
  • getmore4less
    TheEffects wrote: »
    3 weeks pay

worked there over 1 year

2 years, 5 years, 10 years?

What was the contractual notice?
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You can be dismissed without reason for less than 2 years service so I would have thought under 2 years service a pay off of 3 weeks pay was more than generous.
  • 1. 5 years worked there

Contractual period not sure need to find out, However No statuary period. Which I believe law is 1 week.
  • getmore4less
    Not eligible for statutory redundancy pay.

eligible for

Contractual notice(min 1 weeks) can be PILON if terminated immediately.

accrued unused holiday up to the date of terminaion.

the place has shut the job has gone, redundant

Only thing to consult is are there other suitable alternative jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure