Je t'aime... The Great 'how to have a romantic Valentine's on a budget' Hunt

Options
1235»

Comments

• Footpather
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    We don't really mark it as I refuse to go out for a meal on a night where service is always rubbish as everywhere is busy and overstretched or the wait staff are sulking cos they didn't get the night off. Same with flowers- rip off .

I always laugh at the flowers bit as a good few years ago I said don't buy me flowers on Valentines Day as they hike the prices so much. The only bit he heard and remembered is 'don't buy me flowers' and so quotes this every time flowers are mentioned. The only time I get them now is when we are shopping and there are some in the reduced section and I pick them up!
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    We don't really mark it as I refuse to go out for a meal on a night where service is always rubbish as everywhere is busy and overstretched or the wait staff are sulking cos they didn't get the night off. Same with flowers- rip off .

I'm away the night before anyway so we'll probably just have a nice steak dinner ( cooked by me as although he's quite a good cook-we both agree I cook steak better than he does :)). We don't need Hallmark to tell us when to be romantic ;)

Me and OH often eat out on Valentines evening and have never had rubbish service but then again we have never been stupid enough to go to a restaurant with a rip off overpriced Valentines menu.

Flowers are not always a rip off. Apparently Lidl are going 12 red roses for £3 and some of the supermarkets are doing them for £5 - hardly a rip off when you can't get a decent bunch of flowers for anything less. Personally I don't like roses but am happy to get any other flowers.

We also don't need Hallmark to tell us when to be romantic. Valentines Day is just one of MANY days in the year we are romantic
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2015 at 5:06AM
    Options
    I dug out all my crafting stash, and we divided the dinner table down the middle so we couldn't see what each other were doing, and spent a very romantic 'night before valentines' making our own valentines cards over a bottle of wine tonight.
    Can't wait to see what husband put together for me :p

Tomorrow (Valentines Day), I'll be cooking a 'posh' meal made from all the stuff in the freezer left over from Xmas, and husband will be changing the bed to the 'posh' linen, lighting candles all over the house, and putting out the baby oil for a massage.;)

We've got some artificial flowers that we dress up differently each year for each other (yes, it's a competition :D:D:D), 2 bottles of fizz left over from our wedding last year and some chocolates from poundland.

Dead Romantic..... cost - £2 :A
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure