PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    instead of cooking for one cook for 4 then freeze 3 dinners. this should give enough dinners to eliminate the need to cook for several weeks once you have built up a stock

Not being rude oldtractor :) but (if you read back) this has been suggested numerous times throughout the thread and dismissed as impractical for a number of reasons by a number of the regulars.
    Hope I haven't offended :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Whoknowskt89
    Options
    I've really got to start eating up the food in my freezer and cupboards... I've probably got enough to feed myself for well over a month with only needing to buy a few fresh things and things like quorn ham (my go to for lunches at work)
    Instead of going out and buying bread I really must start using my bread machine again!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

Whoknowskt89 thanks for clearing up why you need to count your fish :D just a month's worth of stocks I wish...... provided the power didn't go off I could withstand a prolonged seige lol:o

Pork ribs are in the slow cooker with a sachet of hoisin stir fry sauce and are beginning to smell lush I'm looking forward to dinner tonight:D Assuming the dish in the slow cooker approach isn't a disaster I think I'll slow cook a beef olive tomorrow :drool:
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I think there's a butcher about a 4-5 mile round trip from here, but no greengrocers that I've spotted in over 4 years of driving around the area.

I'm quite lucky on that front the baker's and library are in my village about a five minute walk, the butcher's and green grocers are across the road from each other in the next village about a 40 minute walk away.

There's also a decent sized Mr T in walking distance although given the size the stock selection isn't great.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    instead of cooking for one cook for 4 then freeze 3 dinners. this should give enough dinners to eliminate the need to cook for several weeks once you have built up a stock

Ive always done this, and its the reason I am now desperately trying to empty a freezer lol .
    seriously though is just not practical to those who do not have the freezer capacity or those who do not want to have a rigid set menu i.e if you do 4x4 everytime you cook by the end of the week you have 3 weeks worth of the same meals.

The thing I love about this thread is the insight into the different lifestyles, some of us have not always been single and still have the mindset and the equipment to cook family style, others don't and wouldn't want too. One size does not fit all when it comes to cooking for one and its great to have these conversations.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well the knicker nicker might be someone that has it as a sideline - there are people out there (ahem...) so I understand that buy pre-used knickers. :rotfl:. Ohmegawd - the next thing I know will be someone will be complaining at my not being politically correct again:rotfl:.

PN - can I have the 1960's/70's back when you've finished with them please (ie your 1960's/70's tastebuds). One has to spend half the time in the 2010's cooking up plenty of eggs in order to find all those "eggshells to walk carefully on":rotfl::snow_grin. Wasn't it nice when one didn't have to worry about whether someone/somewhere (0.01% of population or whatever) would have got out of bed the wrong side and decided to "be offended" by a remark that wasn't intended to be offensive at all......

But I'll settle for the 1980s or even the 1990s if PN wants to keep the 60s/70s....

Having duly rapped my own wrists for possessing an SOH....

.....and I've hauled a UFO out of the freezer and it's currently sitting on a metal saucepan (as per tip on here the other day) whilst I wonder whether it will have defrosted in time for dinner tonight? I think it's some sort of burger???

Well having been born a 1940s girl and experiencing my sweeties being rationed, don't want them back. Having married in the 60`s deffo don't want them back, though like you loved that I didn't need to walk on egg shells, well not all the time but did get chased by police in Stratford for going on demo to "Ban the Bomb"and was horrified to find when I applied to be a Probation Officer discovered I had been listed and investigated by Home Office for being a member of Green Peace.

No don't want none of it back am just enjoying being in today, older age does have advantages, LOL they just think you`re coming down with Dementia. Or pure cranky old age.

Oh and on the knicker debate they don't nick them off washng lines, for the market you have heard of they must be unwashed, knew a woman years ago who made a small fortune , she used to wear 6 pair at a time. Wish I`d have had the courage.

Don't you dare give yourself a slap for having a sense of humour Love we need more of it.

lol have just previewed and I have written a book, well wont apologise, I am coming down with something.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, today's round up includes:

2 crumpets for breakfast.

Irish stew and some freshly made dumplings... I wish I'd just done dumplings but that felt a little "piggy" as it was so early in the day.

Half a box of individually wrapped little chocolate sweeties. Wrappers tossed onto the floor in the general direction of the bin ....

A packet of crisps.
  • caronc
    Options
    While like traditional foods from when I was growing up, I also enjoy more modern dishes, "foreign" food, veggie food and vegan food, in fact I just enjoy food and like to mix and match cuisines:D I would hate to have to go back to ingredient options from my youth growing up in the 60s/70s in a small scottish town:eek:

PN - LOL re the sweetie wrappers that'll be tomorrow's work-out sorted picking them up :rotfl:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :wave: afternoon gang

Well the turkey dinner I had planned this morning didn't happen I just couldn't be bothered to do all the veg so it became a crusty turkey roll with pickles. I did however make an single portion apple crumble which I will be having later.

I am in the camp that says no batch cooking and freezing ever again. After eating nearly 2 months of my previous creations now and still hardly any hole in the damm freezer stocks I will try to learn and not cook for a family of 4 every time but remember I live on my own :cool: (I know this will be ignored by the way once I can get back to some real cooking :o )

Intrigued by knicker gate but loving all the suggested reasons :rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    :wave: afternoon gang

Well the turkey dinner I had planned this morning didn't happen I just couldn't be bothered to do all the veg so it became a crusty turkey roll with pickles. I did however make an single portion apple crumble which I will be having later.

I am in the camp that says no batch cooking and freezing ever again. After eating nearly 2 months of my previous creations now and still hardly any hole in the damm freezer stocks I will try to learn and not cook for a family of 4 every time but remember I live on my own :cool: (I know this will be ignored by the way once I can get back to some real cooking :o )

Intrigued by knicker gate but loving all the suggested reasons :rotfl:

Turkey roll and pickles that sounds just fine by me :D I'm not going to say I won't batch cook but certainly not as much as before.:o Buoyed up by a dish in the slowcooker idea last night (new idea to me anyway though realise I'm a bit lagging on this), I've worked out that my "bean pots" which I only use for pate could be used to hold one portion of hotpot/stovies etc. and without the proper lid just sit nicely on a ramekin in my round slow cooker so I feel some experimenting coming on.........;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure