Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    SandLake wrote: »
    Tesco do support tethering for Android but not for iPhones

Look on their website under "How Do I" in the "Phone settings and help" section there is a Q&A "Can I use my phone for tethering.

I am in the process of changing networks and was surprised by this

Weird... According to T&C tethering is not allowed.
    4.1 Inclusive Credit can be used on GPRS and 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone whilst you are in the UK.4.2 All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:(a) in, or connected to, any other device including modems;(b) to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (VOIP), P2P or file sharing; or(c) in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other Tesco Mobile or Telefonica O2 UK customers
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is excellent, thank you for putting it together. :)
  • AdamUK
    AdamUK Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    not bad I just been on the phone with Virgin and now on 600min, 1000 texts and 500mb for £7 per month - sim only.

thought is decent
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdamUK wrote: »
    not bad I just been on the phone with Virgin and now on 600min, 1000 texts and 500mb for £7 per month - sim only.

thought is decent

Were you with Virgin before this deal?
  • yenool
    yenool Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, stupidly I just bought a new sim only plan before checking the MSE forums!

So I'm really pleased to discover that I actually got one of the highlighted deals in the 'best sim only deals' document. Decided to go with O2 in the hope that their customer service will be better than the hopeless 3 mobile.

ps: anyone ever tried to cancel with three? - Nightmare they just wont take no for an answer!
  • ZhugeEX
    edited 5 September 2013 at 1:48AM
    Options
    simo_zps42958f5a.jpg

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours.

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

4G_zps2dfeee41.jpg

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

MBB_zps678eebd0.jpg

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
  • ZhugeEX
    edited 5 September 2013 at 12:36AM
    Options
    So HUKD banned me for posting my deal.....

Apparently clearly marking ONE affiliate link as an affiliate link on an external website not related to HUKD gets you banned straight away...
  • Splurge
    Splurge Posts: 172 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 March 2015 at 5:59PM
    Options
    So what does the mega thread tell us that we can't find out from looking a proper SIM only deals comparison website such as www.Comparisim.com, Uswitch.com or Omio?
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Bearing in mind that comparison sites have fil[FONT=&quot]ters and sliders t[FONT=&quot]o make finding the perfect deal [FONT=&quot]easier than reading all the above text[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

This is just a question not a [FONT=&quot]criticism :-)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • ZhugeEX
    edited 5 September 2013 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Because these third party sites do not include all suppliers including smaller ones such as talk mobile or tesco etc... Also they do not have a dedicated section on international calls on honourable mentions for cheap pay as you go tariffs. Also these deals have network notes next to them which allow the user to check up specific facts about the network without needing to do their own research. Plus there is a list of recommended deals and apps.

Also third party sites do not cover cashback at all or provide an easy way to go to cashback sites from the deal. Also this spreadsheet is community run and up to date at all times. It also provides access to 4G tariffs as well as a detailed FAQ on what 4G is as well as a list of all 4G phones.

Not only that but the new section on Data only deals is something other sites do not cover. To be honest a lot of comparison websites don't cover sim only deals anyway. My page links to an in depth FAQ that has loads of useful answers, it includes links to the T&C's and coverage maps, and as mentioned above contains notes about each networks advantages and disadvantages.

It is a much more personal and in depth way to find the best deal as it combines the HUKD and MSE communities together to work on updating and helping others on where to find the best sim only deal. Plus it allows people to ask questions in this thread or the HUKD thread relating to the type of deal they're looking for and others can learn from the answers provided.

Now i'm not saying this is a definitive or the best comparison tool out there but i can say with some certainty that no comparison site does all the above^. Please understand that i'm not looking to replace comparison sites, the aim is to allow users to find the best deal for themselves all in one place without having to go back and forth between various websites or brochures etc...
  • Splurge
    Splurge Posts: 172 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Okay fair point. You should add the deals from TalkTalk Virtual provider too as they are pretty competitive. TalkTalk is owned by Carphone warehouse and are virtual provider of Vodafone Network
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure