is my son a british citizen?

hi me and the wife are both british born our oldest son was born in australia and we returned here when he was 3 months old.he had a british passport as a baby when we left oz.
is he a british citizen or do we need to do any thing

thanx

Comments

• Does your child's passport say he is a British citizen? If so then he is. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/aboutcitizenship/Britishcitizenship/

Otherwise, it depends on your exact status and you'd need to check out these pages in more detail.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 20 November 2012 at 6:55PM
    When did you return to the UK and did your child have a separate passport? Have they had a passport since? A relative of mine was born in Australia and returned to the UK when she was six months old. She only found out she wasn't a British citizen when she applied for a passport and they told her she couldn't have one, as she's Australian. She'd lived here all her life and AIUI had been granted those little one year card passports in the 1980s to go overseas. It was in her late 30s early 40s she found out. She now has indefinite right to remain. I think in terms of getting British citizenship it is straightforward, but obviously you need to know to apply first!

ETA: should have added, this is a returning £10 pom type problem, if he was born in the 80s or later (1983 per link posted above), the rules changed.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Does he have a birth certificate? Was his birth registered at the British embassy?
  • oneeye1
    oneeye1 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Jox wrote: »
    Does he have a birth certificate? Was his birth registered at the British embassy?

yes he does and no it wasnt although he got a passport from the embassy
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    oneeye1 wrote: »
    hi me and the wife are both british born our oldest son was born in australia and we returned here when he was 3 months old.he had a british passport as a baby when we left oz.
    is he a british citizen or do we need to do any thing

thanx

Hi oneEye1 - we're not covering citizenship issues on the board at the moment. If you want more help on this, we'd suggest contacting your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure