IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket from CMS UK Ltd

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    blondy_83 wrote: »
    I parked at robin retails park for maybe ten mins in a disabled spot, never saw signs, recovering from broken leg bla bla

I got a ticket, I was not displaying a badge (actually thought i parked in the first non disabled space but it was last disabled in row) i WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION AS WAS LITERALLY NIPPING IN A SHOP FOR 5 MINS!

SHALL I NOT PAY? I realise this is the advice given on her but the last was a few months ago, does it still stand?

Don't pay a ticket from CMS, ever. Ignore all future correspondance from them, do not contact them. Read the rest of this thread and also the thread that someone has linked to.
    Pants
  • re Marina Baker's post my husband received a letter from Roxburghe Debt collectors stating they were acting on behalf of CMS UK who alalegedly issued a parking ticket on my husband's car at Robin Retail Park on 8 March 2010, we received this letter in September!! We contacted them and asked for proof as we had had no such ticket and no correspondence, we received nothing. We also asked how we could remember who was driving the vehicle some 6 months later. The alleged transgression was the same we had allegedly 'parked outside trading hours', when I stated that this was a free car park and if the shops were shut we were not depriving them of any trade by parking there their only response was that the landlord doesn't like people parking there at night! We received one photo in Decemebr which shows my husband's car parked on a car park we can see no ticket on the windscreen and nothing in the photo indicates where the car was parked, I rang and told Roxburghe this and they said the next step is small claims court. Well I wished them luck with that as I think a judge would laugh it out of court, they are demanding 170 pounds for an alleged breach of contract where no financial loss has been incurred by the landlord or retail outlets who pay rent to said landlord. They have no proof of ticket ever being issued and no proof of service of letters they allege CMS sent requesting payment of 50 pounds. What a scam! Anyway I recorded all phone calls with Roxburghe and intend to submit these as evidence in any court case should they decide to take it that far. Has anyone else had a case go to court? Because although this a matter of principle I do not have the funds to pay court costs nor do I want a judgement against my husband.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Josmudge wrote: »
    re Marina Baker's post my husband received a letter from Roxburghe Debt collectors stating they were acting on behalf of CMS UK who alalegedly issued a parking ticket on my husband's car at Robin Retail Park on 8 March 2010, we received this letter in September!! We contacted them and asked for proof as we had had no such ticket and no correspondence, we received nothing. We also asked how we could remember who was driving the vehicle some 6 months later. The alleged transgression was the same we had allegedly 'parked outside trading hours', when I stated that this was a free car park and if the shops were shut we were not depriving them of any trade by parking there their only response was that the landlord doesn't like people parking there at night! We received one photo in Decemebr which shows my husband's car parked on a car park we can see no ticket on the windscreen and nothing in the photo indicates where the car was parked, I rang and told Roxburghe this and they said the next step is small claims court. Well I wished them luck with that as I think a judge would laugh it out of court, they are demanding 170 pounds for an alleged breach of contract where no financial loss has been incurred by the landlord or retail outlets who pay rent to said landlord. They have no proof of ticket ever being issued and no proof of service of letters they allege CMS sent requesting payment of 50 pounds. What a scam! Anyway I recorded all phone calls with Roxburghe and intend to submit these as evidence in any court case should they decide to take it that far. Has anyone else had a case go to court? Because although this a matter of principle I do not have the funds to pay court costs nor do I want a judgement against my husband.

I would say you had more chance of winning the lottery then going to court. Usual PPC/DCA rubbish spouting!
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Josmudge wrote: »
    re Marina Baker's post my husband received a letter from Roxburghe Debt collectors stating they were acting on behalf of CMS UK who alalegedly issued a parking ticket on my husband's car at Robin Retail Park on 8 March 2010, we received this letter in September!! We contacted them and asked for proof as we had had no such ticket and no correspondence, we received nothing. We also asked how we could remember who was driving the vehicle some 6 months later. The alleged transgression was the same we had allegedly 'parked outside trading hours', when I stated that this was a free car park and if the shops were shut we were not depriving them of any trade by parking there their only response was that the landlord doesn't like people parking there at night! We received one photo in Decemebr which shows my husband's car parked on a car park we can see no ticket on the windscreen and nothing in the photo indicates where the car was parked, I rang and told Roxburghe this and they said the next step is small claims court. Well I wished them luck with that as I think a judge would laugh it out of court, they are demanding 170 pounds for an alleged breach of contract where no financial loss has been incurred by the landlord or retail outlets who pay rent to said landlord. They have no proof of ticket ever being issued and no proof of service of letters they allege CMS sent requesting payment of 50 pounds. What a scam! Anyway I recorded all phone calls with Roxburghe and intend to submit these as evidence in any court case should they decide to take it that far. Has anyone else had a case go to court? Because although this a matter of principle I do not have the funds to pay court costs nor do I want a judgement against my husband.

Roxburghe never ever do court, at least they are that inteligent to never try ;) anyway your best course of action is to ignore completely, you will get letters from graham white solicitors next but they don't do court either, they are in fact roxburghe pretending to be them, if you notice the address its going to be very similar, GW aka michael sobel is being investigated by the SRA for fake demands of debt payments.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • arat
    arat Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have had 4 letters and 1 phone call from Roxburghe. The final letter said " final warning". they say they will instruct their client 'Elite Management' (private car park) to apply to the court within 14 days of this letter because I have not paid my Parking Charge Notice.
    I did actually go 10 mins over in a disabled bay, having paid, and displayed my mum's blue badge. She's 92 and was in her wheelchair with me. I thought the attendant may not actually carry out the charge, as she realised how disabled and ill my mother was. But, I eventually had a letter from Roxburghe about 3 months later.
    I know I was 10 mins over, but a £90 charge..??!! Now they say it's £198.
    I'm trying to brave out the nasty letters, but it is hard. I was advised by 2 solicitors that they probably won't go to court, but I suppose in theory they can.
    On the internet, there are lots of references to Graham White/Michael Sobell being dodgy. Maybe that'll be my defence...

Any help/words of comfort out there??
    Does anyone have any experience of them actually taking people to court? It is really intimidating
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Relax, it won't go to court.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Driver8
    Driver8 Posts: 743 Forumite
    PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS - DON'T PAY!
    IT IS NOT A FINE! YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING ILLEGAL!

This is an information page for the thousands of people who receive "tickets" from private companies in the UK ever day at supermarkets, retail parks, and in any other privately-owned carpark.

We are NOT encouraging anybody to openly flout parking restrictions on private land, or to refuse to pay reasonable charges for parking. Landowners have a right to make reasonable charges for the use of their land.

For advice specific to your case, you should visit the forums at http://forums.pepipoo.com or http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

1. What you should know about these companies

It is important to remember that private parking companies (or PPCs as they are often called) have NO OFFICIAL POWERS - that's right, none at all! They give out their "tickets" on the basis that you have seen the signs in their car park and that you have therefore agreed to a contract obliging you to pay a certain sum of money.

2. What happens to people who don't pay?

In 99.9% of cases, absolutely NOTHING! The company pays the DVLA £2.50 to get your address, and then sends lots of threatening letters. In the main, these letters can be safely IGNORED. The only way the company can actually force you to pay is by taking you to the small claims court, which costs them even more money. And they are by no means guaranteed to win! And they practically never do.

The two main reasons for this (among others) are the following:

- Only the person DRIVING the car could ever have agreed to any such parking contract. The company can only get the Registered Keeper's address from the DVLA: you don't have to tell them who was driving.

-Many of these charges are so extortionately high that they constitute a penalty, which is unenforceable in a consumer contract.

3. Can they affect my credit rating?

NO! The only way your credit rating could be affected by ignoring private parking companies is if you were taken to court, lost, and then still refused to pay. But they will not take you to court.

IN SHORT

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE tickets from private parking companies, they are not official fines.

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE the threatening letters, including those from debt collection agencies.

You DO NOT have to pay a penny of your hard-earned money to these companies. Remember that the chances of being taken to court are very slim indeed.

DO NOT IGNORE COURT PAPERS!
    If you receive real court papers from a private parking company (very rare) then you should go to http://forums.pepipoo.com or http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences for help defending the claim. Do not be afraid to sign up and ask questions regarding any paperwork you are not sure about.

Don’t believe the above? Watch a solicitor on Watchdog advising you what to do with the scam invoices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

THEY ARE NOT FINES

Only the Police, Courts or Council’s can fine you. NOT a private company, please remember that.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,582
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2014 at 11:30PM
    This is an old old old thread.

If you are reading this after 2013 you are utterly wasting your time.

Please go to the current forum and learn about the current advice - see my signature which tells you where to click to find CURRENT advice!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi everyone

My daughter took my disabled son to the empire cinema at robin park last friday. It was raining Upon arrival, she proceeded to display the blue disable badge and the clock in the window before getting my son into his wheelchair and taking him into the cinema. On returning to the car about 2 and a half hours later she disovered she had a parking ticket from CMS for not displaying a valid disabled badge, after reading the notice she checked the car and was horrified to see that the disabled badge had fallen from the window, leaving the clock in veiw on the dashboard. My daughter is quite upset about this as she feels that it looks like she was illegally parked when in fact it was just an accident also she is just a student and cannot really afford to pay this 'fine'. We have sent off an apeal to CMS including copies of the blue disabled badge, my sons CEA card and the cinama tickets. We are worried what will come of this and were wondering if anyone has any advice for us as this is a disabled bay issue not a time issue like most of the other posts, please help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Debbie.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Since you have already contacted them hopefully they will allow the appeal, however private parking appeals are as rare as hens teeth. However if I was you I would follow the letter to CMS with one to the manager of the cinema. They may well call CMS off.

If they don't then simple ignore anything else they send to you, besides threats in nearly all cases nothing else happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure