Vodafone default after cancellation - mortgage issues

Options
Hi all,

I wonder whether anyone can help me or give advice if they have been in a similar situation to me.

In December 2015, I came to the end of my 2 year contract with Vodafone and agreed to a new contract with a new iPhone. I finished my order and was promised delivery within a few days. After not receiving my phone, I contacted Vodafone and was told that the phone was out of stock. After a few more days of still being out of stock, I requested cancellation of my contract within the 14 day cancellation period so I could move to O2. After going backwards and forwards trying to cancel, as the system couldn't allow cancellations while the phone was out of stock, an adviser told me they would cancel the contract, that I could cancel my direct debit in the meantime, and I should just refuse delivery of any phone if there was an attempt to deliver.

Fast forward 15 months, and I am now looking to get a mortgage. To my horror when checking my credit rating, there's a default of £125 on my account with Vodafone -- it appears my contract was not cancelled. After a number of calls, it transpires that Vodafone with all their incompetence cancelled my upgrade but never my contract. I am certain I requested to leave Vodafone in its entirety, as they could not deliver me my service; however, they only have a request recorded for my account to cancel the upgrade, not contact.

Despite the phone calls, emails, letters and no activity on the line, Vodafone refuses to acknowledge that I requested to cancel my contact, therefore I have just agreed to pay £125 in total. I've been promised that someone will contact me tomorrow to confirm in writing that I have paid in full and that a debt collection agency would be notified. I've also been told that the reference agency will be contacted. After this long experience, I have very little faith in any of this happening.

I am wondering whether anyone can provide me any advice or share their experience? I just don't know what more I can do with Vodafone and their actions (or lack of) are now destroying this stage of my life.

Thanks,

Sami

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2017 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Your original contract didn't "come to an end". Whilst an "upgrade" would have superseded it, it's possible that cancelling the upgrade without giving new notice to cancel the original contract would mean it may have carried on with bouncing direct debits. That's my theory, but you are dealing with one of the most incompetetent and uncaring organisations on the planet.

1) Your credit files are already wrecked.

2) They won't call you as "promised" - lieing is standard practice for Vodafone.

3) You will get no-where doing what you're doing.

4) Follow the perennial advice on the main complaints thread to contact the WRT - they are the only people at Vodafone who care and will try to sort the mess out. The best outcome would be for them to refund the charges AND delete any adverse entries on your external credit files (updating to "settled" won't help as much). That all depends on exactly who screwed up - them or you. I know you followed their advice at the time, but with Vodafone that's the road to disaster.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Sami,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

I've got your email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sami, I have every sympathy with you.

I have recently discovered that Vodafone allowed my stepdaughter to upgrade the original (paper signed) contract I took out with Carphone Warehouse for her as well as adding a tablet/data account at the same time.

All she had to do was set up an online account using the existing phone number and my name, DoB and an OLD address. She then asked for the new phone & product to be sent to an alternative address. All this was done via livechat!!

However when it comes to sorting out this mess, I had to go in person to my nearest store, 30 miles away and prove who I was.

It's still not sorted and Vodafone have indicated they would rather incur more cost sorting it out through the communications ombudsman than cancelling the contract that I never took out in the first place.

Vodafone's security procedures are a joke.
  • Samih1989
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Someone from Vodafone tried calling today but it didn't even ring. Someone left a message saying they will try again in an hour but I've not heard anything in over 6 hours...
  • Samih1989
    Options
    Quick update:

I spoke to someone from Vodafone yesterday. They sent me an email soon after the call to confirm the account has no more outstanding debt and that they will remove the default and late payments from my credit file. This is extremely positive given the lack of action I've had -- lets see if they will do what they promise. I can also hopefully use this email to get my mortgage.

So I'm current still waiting for:
    - my credit report to be corrected; and
    - a refund from Vodafone.

Let's see if they can deliver...
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    They will. This is the WRT - not the rest of Vodafone (who wouldn't).
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Sami,

Thanks for keeping the thread up to date.

Regarding your refund, I emailed you with an update yesterday.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • EJS93
    EJS93 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Sami,

This is literally the same thing happening to me!
    I don't know how they get away with it!
  • Victoria211
    Options
    Vodafone's security procedures are a joke.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would think compensation is in order as this has caused you issues with mortgages, even a DPA claim for false data entry.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport