PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice re house purchase

Options

Comments

• smmeadow
    smmeadow Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a thought. Would a mortgage lender deem the property uninhabitable now it has no electrics?

Due to the house size and position it's mostly going to be a first time buyer situation. Would someone struggle to get a mortgage due to the condition it's in?

I am thinking of using that as a bargaining tool
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dsdhall wrote: »
    If you use the nationwide house price index calculator to check prices: if the vendor paid around £82K in 2011 it would be worth around £100K now.

Not quite sure why this 'calculator' keeps being used as fact.

As previously stated, they are completely unreliable.

It is currently undervaluing my house (bought in 2013) by £100k along with the house I am interested in by over £100k.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Not quite sure why this 'calculator' keeps being used as fact.

As previously stated, they are completely unreliable.

It is currently undervaluing my house (bought in 2013) by £100k along with the house I am interested in by over £100k.

It overvalues our house by at least 100K
  • smmeadow
    Options
    Yeah I am not paying attention to that calculator. The house is in a nice area. I'm going on recently sold prices.

One sold a few doors down in a nice condition for 131k last year with slightly bigger back garden, which is why I think 125-130 done up.
  • smmeadow
    Options
    I made an lower offer of 103000.... shes going to throw a fit
  • smmeadow
    Options
    I haven't heard anything back yet. The suspense is driving me nuts. I keep waivering... thinking I'm taking the !!!! then I'm like no be real it's 20k to do up and won't sell for more than 130
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you put a bit more pressure on the vendor? You've already made it virtually unsellable by sabotaging the electrics by cutting off the juice under the guise of an inspection. Maybe now get the boiler condemned by a gas safe engineer? Or get a plumber in to do a check who can accidentally leave a leak running behind a loose washing machine feed? Or knock a few tiles off during a roof inspection...?

Joking aside; hang on in there. It will probably go your way. And if, as you say, you can hustle free kit and cut-price installation or repairs from doting friends and relatives, you can probably afford to go a couple of £k over your ceiling; after all, you've clearly fallen in love with it!

And if not- well, that's kharma
  • smmeadow
    Options
    I've definitely not fallen in love it. It's purely a financial decision. And there's no boiler to condemn!!
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    smmeadow wrote: »
    I made an lower offer of 103000.... shes going to throw a fit

So you were just trying it on then! Who is the time waster?
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Our first property was one that needed completely renovating. We were lucky that with the help of family, we were able to do the majority of the work ourselves. That was 15 years ago and the costs still came to £10,000+ for a relatively small 3 bed semi. I'm glad we did it so that we are in the position we are now but it was an extremely stressful time I wouldn't repeat it. The next house we bought was all done ready for us to move into.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure