Issues at work

Comments

• If you look after a child a night or two would you get money for that?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Don't think it's means tested. Is it only if we live together? her being 'my girlfriend' is irrelevant, isn't it?

As I haven't been fired on my zero hrs contract and probably hrs will come and go I put my work had temporarily stopped or something, is that right?

If you claim contribution based JSA then it's not means tested.

You might well be in a UC area.. your girlfriends income would count.

Does she reside under the bridge with you?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If you look after a child a night or two would you get money for that?

No- the child has to live with you
  • dippy3103 wrote: »
    If you claim contribution based JSA then it's not means tested.

You might well be in a UC area.. your girlfriends income would count.

Does she reside under the bridge with you?

Not for flat owners! Not for another 2 years!
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    She is currently living with you, ergo you need to declare her as your resident partner.

When she vacates you then declare she has vacated, it's really not that hard or complicated to tell the truth.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Just as an aside... if you are going to claim means tested benefits you will need to declare your GF on the claim as her earnings would be taken into the assessmebnt

I think this whole notion of "assumed shared finances" is becoming a bit old fashioned as more and more people now have totally separate finances.

Lets say I was sharing a 2 bed flat with a person of the opposite sex - that would mean i would only need to declare their income if I had some sort of romantic attachment?

What would happen if they were a "friend with benefits" rather than my "girlfriend"?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The issue is whther you are living togther as a couple. If you are living in a houseshare then you don't have to declare their income as you are not a couple.

The reason that they lok at whether or not you are cohabiting is that being in a realationship and living together generally assumes a degree of mutual support and a mingling, to some degree, of finances. Benefits (means tested benefots) are a safety net to support those with no other means of support.

if your partner doesn't want to provide her details then either she needs to move out or you need to accept that you won't be able to make a claim at present.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    [QUOTE=applepicker;7141045

If I do sign on and quit or declare what I earn, would my girlfriend who I live with know from letters or anything? She will be living with me in the flat for the next two months.

I will earn a few hours PAYE and a few gardening. Are tax credits a better option, how do you apply for these?[/QUOTE]

Only if she were to open your post within the next 2 months (or to ask where you are going when you sign the eg 4 times during that period).

Contribution-based JSA makes sense if this is what you're entitled to.

You can't claim Tax Credits as well, but you may want to claim these after your 26 weeks' worth of c-b JSA expires. TCs are claimed via HMRC (forms are sent out).

Tax Credits would make more sense, medium-term as you're working. 30 hours per work of work is the usual requirement for a single man for these.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Not everyone wants to discuss their personal finances with their girlfriend - I have always been a believer in totally separate finances unless you are planning on marriage.
    Sorry but in the eyes of the law a couple living together is exactly the same as a married couple for the purposes of benefits.

Basically the DWP will look at the total household income and work hours and decide what the household is eleigible for.

In circumstances like these the GF would be expected to support her BF and child on her income. If she is not earning enough to meet what the DWP considers sufficient to live on then she may be entitled to Tax Credits or something else.

If the OP was to claim for JSA or UC as a single person, he would actually be committing benefit fraud.

If the DWP did not work out entitlements to benefits and tax credits like this then strictly speaking every housewife in the country would be entitled to benefits in their own right regardless of the fact that their partners had well-paying jobs.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Seriously check some of the OP's other threads, particularly in the child support forum.

This is either made up, or yet another installment of the worlds most unhealthy relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure