NUS McDonalds Discount

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2013 at 11:02PM
    vassa wrote: »
    Look up what Maccy D's put in their food. You'll never let your kid eat it again.

What do they put in their products in the UK market that I would not want my children to eat?
  • vassa
    vassa Posts: 288 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2013 at 2:18PM
    stephen77 wrote: »
    What do they put in their products in the UK market that I would not want my children to eat?
    That's a rhetorical question right?

Ok, so i'll answer it anyway.

The meat and poultry is of the worst quality you can possibly find, the food is crammed with sugars, salts and additives that don't belong in food naturally.

Spuds come with 2 ingredients. Spuds, and the stuff they're cooked in. McD's chips have about 14 things in them. Au Naturale.

A Big Mac contains Sodium Phosphate which is usually prescribed as a bowel cleanser, bleach (in the bun) and all sorts of other nasty stuff which humans aren't meant to ingest. If you think that's fine though knock yourself out.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2013 at 5:42PM
    The meat and poultry is of the worst quality you can possibly find, the food is crammed with sugars, salts and additives that don't belong in food naturally.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of dihydrogen monoxide* in their drinks.

You might like to have a read of this:
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/resources/5/MakingSenseofChemicalStories_July08-Reprint.pdf

*water
    Spuds come with 2 ingredients. Spuds, and the stuff they're cooked in. McD's chips have about 14 things in them. Au Naturale.
    McDonalds lists 2, sometimes 3, ingredients:
    Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of season).

A Big Mac contains neither of the ingredients you mention.
  • vassa
    vassa Posts: 288 Forumite
    atypical wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe the amount of dihydrogen monoxide* in their drinks.

You might like to have a read of this:
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/resources/5/MakingSenseofChemicalStories_July08-Reprint.pdf

*water

McDonalds lists 2, sometimes 3, ingredients:
    Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of season).

A Big Mac contains neither of the ingredients you mention.
    McDonald's own website says differently.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Big Mac has cheese on it. The cheese contains bowel cleanser, also known as sodium phosphate. Please, try and research your facts.

It's also hilarious that people are actually arguing against someone who says McDonalds is horrendously poor food (both nutritionally and ethically). Brilliant, this forum gets funnier and funnier, yet i'm sure i'll still be labelled a 'troll' by people who don't like hearing facts. Enjoy your cancer burgers.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Big Mac has cheese on it. The cheese contains bowel cleanser, also known as sodium phosphate. Please, try and research your facts.
    Note how the title of the document is "McDonald's USA ingredients". The UK ingredients do not list it: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/product_nutrition.beef.19.big-mac.html

But that's beside the point. The fact sodium phosphate is used as a bowel cleanser tells you nothing about its safety. Sodium chloride (table salt) is also used in bowel cleansers.

Have a read of the Sense About Science document I linked to.
    It's also hilarious that people are actually arguing against someone who says McDonalds is horrendously poor food (both nutritionally and ethically).
    You're not engaging in debate, you're spouting untruths and generally scaremongering.

Hope this wasn't a wasted reply.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If potatoes, oil and possibly dextrose is so bad then why should I serve potatoes fried in oil at any time at home.

The beef isn't the best premium cut but it isn't the worst cut either. If I were making a burger at home I wouldn't use the best cut either. I'd use minced beef which is never the best cut. It's beef...and a bit of salt and pepper. Nothing else.

The bread contain a few extra ingredients but no more than shop bought bread.

The big mac sauce has quite a few ingredients but so does any shop bought sauce.

Yes it's fast food but it's not really that bad at all when consumed in moderation....ie. not for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • stephen77
    That's a rhetorical question right?

Ok, so i'll answer it anyway.

A Big Mac contains Sodium Phosphate which is usually prescribed as a bowel cleanser, bleach (in the bun) and all sorts of other nasty stuff which humans aren't meant to ingest. If you think that's fine though knock yourself out.

Lets start with chicken. Why is there poultry so bad? Is it so much worse than the rest of the food industry. After all Moy park who supplies a lot of MacDonald's chicken also supplies the major supermarkets, restaurants, cash and carry outles etc.

With chicken nuggets, they have also cleaned up the recipe a lot over the last few years. Same as the supermarkets when they all pretty much went clean dec around 2008. Chicken nuggets moved to chicken breast (which resulted in them not being as succulent to eat, but inline with food trends at the time). Rather than them using more parts of the chicken.
    Other parts of the chicken are nice to eat. Personally I find the other parts of the chicken nicer to eat, unless I baste the breast with butter every 20 or so minutes when slow roasting a chicken.

For sugar - 1 gram of sugar per portion. Most of that will be from the flour in the batter. A little dextrose is added.
    Dextrose is a naturally occurring sugar. Males even produce it and its found in honey as well.

Salt - Not checked but MacDonald's are more than likely to adhering to FSA 2014 salt guidelines. Which are not getting pretty low.

additives. well the ones I can see are a raising agents that you will find in pretty much all battered products on sale.

So if you like chicken nuggets. They are comparable to other major supermarkets and food outlets, so to single out MacDonald's as being the worst would be wrong.

They are scared of bad press and scare mongering these days, so they have to raise their game.
  • stephen77
    HappyMJ wrote: »

The beef isn't the best premium cut but it isn't the worst cut either. If I were making a burger at home I wouldn't use the best cut either. I'd use minced beef which is never the best cut. It's beef...and a bit of salt and pepper. Nothing else.

It would certainly be a waste of aged fillet.
    TO use to lean cuts, once the burger is cooked it would probably be tough, unless eating It rare which the average consumer will not be wanting a bloody burger bun. You want the nice cheaper cuts as the fat adds flavour and succulence.
    But why let having a succulent product get in the way of good scare monger.
  • stephen77

It's also hilarious that people are actually arguing against someone who says McDonalds is horrendously poor food (both nutritionally and ethically). Brilliant, this forum gets funnier and funnier, yet i'm sure i'll still be labelled a 'troll' by people who don't like hearing facts. Enjoy your cancer burgers.

To say a burger will cause cancer would be very hard to prove. To many other variables in the diet.
    Just because I like a odd burger. Does not mean I am going to get cancer from it as the rest of my diet is high in fruit & veg, oily fish, I do not smoke, drink. I exercise a lot etc.
    People are still debating the role of fat in the diet and what harm it causes. More and more info is coming out that fats are not as bad as once portrayed even saturates. While fats like olive oil are not as good as once thought.
    people get hung up GDA's etc.

As for a troll. I do not think you are a troll in the slightest. Many people share the same view as you on MacDonald's, many people do not care if the above you have said is true. It would not stop them eating it.
    Even if either camp changes there mind in this debate. It will not be the last time this argument comes up.
  • stephen77
    Just had a look at the big mac nutritional.

They could get rid of the xantham gum and potassium sorbate if they really wanted.
    Apart from that the remainder are pretty standard through the food industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure