The Frugal Fry-Up February NSD Challenge!

marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
Forumite
edited 27 February 2016 at 6:35AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
February has crept up behind us.January is almost over,thank heavens.What a long month....

The NSD gang en masse are staying at home for February,on account of being skint.No sunny holibobs for us 'sob'....

Igor and Cheffie are taking over the local greasy spoon and are hoping to make a mint serving such tempting dishes as stoatburger and smashed chips with anchovy relish..... hmmmmm.

Mrs Doyle will be poised and ready with the tea.Hubert is on toilet duty.Fabio is our handsome waiter and Nargle is in charge of the takeaway orders.I will be wafting around looking fragrant (and also emptying the ash trays).

As for Tiddles,the house cat,I'm sure he will be kept busy keeping the rodent situation under control. 5vvz46.jpg

So,don't be shy...join us as we work like bilio to keep the cauldron of doom filled up with nsds. :D

19mp89.jpg

We have lots of fun activities planned.More of that later...For those of you who are new to the challenge,we are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organize riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look at the next post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who dares speak the word which must not be spoken will find himself in a spot of bother with our toothy bouncer Shawnie boy.
ioeyk9.jpg Shawnie boy has a message....'You're in my house now.....',so watch what you say.

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

PS I'm usually a modest lass,but I just have to add that The NSD Challenge is the best of the bunch! ;) :cool: :j

Comments

• Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2016 at 10:47PM
    1st target20rplbm.jpg

2nd target27y4cow.jpg

3rd target2z4jojp.jpg

4th target2ly626x.jpg

Target exceedednmxb3p.jpg

Consolation prize2evc6c2.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 23 February 2016 at 8:08PM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list!

marmiterulesok 8/10

Nargleblast 7/15

Tjh1412 0/20

mummyroysof3 0/15

BigMummaF 8/14

Gem-gem 18/20

Frugal_life 0/10

tatabubbly 7/10

slowlyfading 10/20

Munchin 1/16

Butti 2/8

stripeyjumpergirl 2/12

jodles16 18/20

evuka 0/15

mrshubbard 4/20

donna dynamo 14/15
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2016 at 10:46PM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list!
    The prize is: 5wh0tj.jpg

marmiterulesok 4
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Me first! Put me down for 15 please, and this time I will get it!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Forumite
    Hate to say this, but Igor and Chef are dead set on holding a Chinese New Year banquet (Monday 8 February). Please please please do not tell them that it will be the Year of the Monkey.....I shudder to think what will be on the menu if they find out!
  • Hate to say this, but Igor and Chef are dead set on holding a Chinese New Year banquet (Monday 8 February). Please please please do not tell them that it will be the Year of the Monkey.....I shudder to think what will be on the menu if they find out!

'runs off to get the sick bag'
  • Me first! Put me down for 15 please, and this time I will get it!

I sincerely hope so! ;)
  • Nargleblast
    Forumite
    Now that's an idea......free doggy bags which can also double as sick bags.....

What are they calling this greasy spoon caff, by the way? We need to know for the advertising.
  • The 'Chicky Ferret' Emporium?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family