Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Comments

• eruthuk
    eruthuk Posts: 6 Forumite
    30th May, the cancelled flight was KL1169 - no reason was given for this. I know flights were arriving and departing on that day from Amsterdam to other destinations,
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Looking at flightstats, almost every flight arriving at Amsterdam was either delayed or cancelled, very few were on time, in which case compensation is probably not due.
    What was the weather like at the time of your re-booked flight departure (2pm)?
    If your flight was cancelled due to the previous flight the aircraft was on, not getting to Amsterdam, then you maybe due compensation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • eruthuk
    eruthuk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Weather looked okay as far as I could tell from inside.Earlier fog had lifted, Didn't seem to be raining (although it was raining at 9pm and there were thunder storms that night), couldn't tell how windy it was or not. It didn't seem any better/worse than in Manchester when I left that morning.
  • JPears
    Unfortunately botts online will be no help for the second leg as departure/arrival were both outside of the UK.
    I think you may have to send a letter to KLM asking what the exact reason for the cancellation of second flight was. they probably won't tell you. Then you may have to start the legal process to force their hand. Unless they can catagorically prove it was weather that caused the cancellation, rather than a delay.

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you try EUClaim, it appears to think compensation due (not a suggestion to use them just useful to see whether they would be confident with a claim)
  • My Daughter (along with 20 others) went to Swaziland with World Challenge on 8th July, they were first flying to Amsterdam, from Manchester, then on to Johannesburg, KLM denied them boarding as they said birth certificates were needed - - usually they would have been (for South Africa) but as we had a signed affidavit with a solicitor and Head Master from the school it was not required, as has been done with all parties travelling by world challenge to South Africa. As a result of this we had to race to school (in Kendal) with birth certificates, two had to be purchased from Carlisle, and collected from there in person, and another two from Preston, as parents couldn't find them, we then got to Manchester with all certificates to be told that KLM had accepted all blame and certificates were not required, they had obviously long since missed the flight, were put up in a hotel over night with lunch and dinner paid for. However when it came to next flights 15 went to Amsterdam, then Cape Town then Johannesburg, whilst 5 went to Paris then Johannesburgh. As a result they missed out on a large part of the expedition. Anyway, we have been offered the standard compensation of 600 Euros (£513.00) as they say it was DENIED BOARDING, but it says on their web page that denied boarding is in the event of an overbooked flight, and as we DID have the correct paperwork and documents I feel we do not fall into this catagory, and as it was thier incompetence and they accepted blame we feel further compensation is justified.
    Can anyone help/advise me on this please, any help would be very gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Under the Regulation 261/04 ("Denied Boarding" regulation - though it includes delays and cancellations too) the maximum you can claim for is €600 (for a long haul flight over 4 hours late).

Claiming further consequential losses is likely to prove more tricky, and will rely on different laws where consumer protection is much less good. What about claiming on your travel insurance?
  • JPears
    As Vauban says you will have to seek a seperate claim for expenses due to KLM's admitted negligence. You will have to claim damages. Given their admission and clear disruption, I would have thought you had a strong case in court and given the number of people involved it may sensible to seek advice from a solicitor?
    You were either denied boarding or delayed, either way the compensation under reg 261/2004 is the same. Receiving this compensation does not bar you from seeking additional compensation, but a judge may well take into account the 600 received.

• We were travelling from Bankgok to Manchester via Paris, January 2015.
    Our flight was delayed 1+ 1/2 hours in Bangkok which meant we missed our connecting flight from Paris to Manchester. Air France put us up in a hotel and gave us dinner and breakfast, parcel of toiletries essentails as there were no flights for 13 hours.
    I used the Resolver claim tool to see if we were entitled to any compensation and wad delighted with Air Frances response.
    They answered the email from Resolver reasonably quickly and offered us 699 euros e voucher for another ticket or £502 cash payment each.
    I have today received an email from them telling me that £1004 will be deposited into my bank within 14 days.
    Big thank you to MSE for this tool and information and also thank you to Air France
  • Hi,

I have had a read through some of the previous posts and read through Vauban's Guide. But could someone please offer some advice on what to do next.

We were due to fly out of Havana with Air France. I received a text in the morning from them to say that the flight had been delayed 1 Hour. This meant we missed our connecting Air France flight at 9:10AM to Edinburgh which would have got in at 10:55AM and instead were put on the 15:25 which got in at 16:10

I used the MSE Resolver but this is part of their reply I received today.

Per our records, I note this flight was delayed due to Airport Technical Service.
    In line with existing legislation, such circumstances are beyond the control of the airline. Hence, no compensation is due on this occasion.
    We regret to learn about the unfortunate situation that you had to cancel your birthday celebration and we are sorry for the impact it had on your journey.
    I hope the above explanation serves well on this occasion and trust when next we have the pleasure of welcoming you on-board our flights, you will find everything to your entire satisfaction.

What is Airport Technical Services? Is this something I can't claim against, or am I being fobbed off ?

Could someone please advise on the next cause of action. That is if Airport Technical Services is an actual thing that I can fight.

Thank You.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport