Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Comments

• taney
    taney Posts: 729
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I am a new mum and have got not much idea about how CTF really works,so would need an expert opinion on what i have so far understood after reading the CTF article on MSE...

I am thinking to open an investment-type CTFs with a share account,hopwever,I don't know how can I proceed that where and how to open an account and whats the best way to approach it and get best outcome?

I would appreciate any comments..
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,026
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    taney wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a new mum and have got not much idea about how CTF really works,so would need an expert opinion on what i have so far understood after reading the CTF article on MSE...

I am thinking to open an investment-type CTFs with a share account,hopwever,I don't know how can I proceed that where and how to open an account and whats the best way to approach it and get best outcome?

I would appreciate any comments..
    taney, as you want to go down the investment route it is difficult (not allowed) for people to recoomend investment ideas, thats not to say they cannot comment on good / bad experiences with different providers.

Have a look at post 20 where you can find a link to all providers (cash and equity based ones).

Before people can offer more info you probably need to list what sort of investment you would be happy with, i.e. FTSE100, European, Far East, etc, etc, etc.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • expat_jo
    expat_jo Posts: 187 Forumite
    Hi

Sorry, a dunce question coming up (I have a newborn, my brain doesn't work properly any more and I can't concentrate from the baby crying .... in my defence :)!)

The F&C stakeholder acct - do I need to contribute money every month if I open it or can I just stick in the £250 and be done?

Many thanks (and please go easy on me!)
  • cloud_dog
    Forumite
    expat_jo wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry, a dunce question coming up (I have a newborn, my brain doesn't work properly any more and I can't concentrate from the baby crying .... in my defence :)!)

The F&C stakeholder acct - do I need to contribute money every month if I open it or can I just stick in the £250 and be done?

Many thanks (and please go easy on me!)
    I think you'll find you dont have to make additional or regular contributions.

The blurb at the top of the F&C CTF page states... "When you open a Child Trust Fund account at F&C, you can add to this amount (up to a £1,200 each year)."

• deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all, wanting to take a punt with our newest arrivals CTF, so what would be recommended for a high risk investment?

Thanks
  • Just a quick one, sorry if this has already been noted previously - I opened a CTF with Nationwide a few years back - is it possible to transfer the CTF to a new provider and is there any advice on the best way to do this?
    Thanking you
    06/10 - £2000 of £6000 saved :j
  • Trust fund accounts for UK citizens living abroad?

Does anyone know if it is allowed to start a trust fund for children of UK citizens who are living and working in Holland. They pay Dutch taxes. They will return to UK eventually.
  • cloud_dog
    Forumite
    Lawrah26 wrote: »
    Just a quick one, sorry if this has already been noted previously - I opened a CTF with Nationwide a few years back - is it possible to transfer the CTF to a new provider and is there any advice on the best way to do this?
    Thanking you
    'Yes'
    'Pick a new one'
    'Complete their transfer form'.

• hey all!
    Im so confused about what to do with my son's child trust fund voucher in this economic climate!!?
    Any one able to help me?

Im thinking of putting it into the family investment ethical stakeholder account but im not sure if that is such a good idea at the moment! But then is putting it in a savings account any safer?
    And if so which one is the best?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Nikki
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    knikki wrote: »
    hey all!
    Im so confused about what to do with my son's child trust fund voucher in this economic climate!!?
    Any one able to help me?

Im thinking of putting it into the family investment ethical stakeholder account but im not sure if that is such a good idea at the moment! But then is putting it in a savings account any safer?
    And if so which one is the best?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Nikki

Are you prepared to lose some or all of your original stake, in return for the potential of greater returns?

If Yes - go for a stakeholder/ shares account

If No - Stick to cash.

Personally, and this is just my personal view, I would take a risk with the "free" money and go for a stakeholder and just dont make anymore contributions.

Your lovely little angel could turn out to be a little crap and blow it all on shopping at 18.

I've set up savings for mine elsewhere firmly under my control.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback