PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What 'dry' weight per portion for rice and pasta?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sb44 wrote: »
    I normally cook a cup of rice for two of us but he gets about 2 thirds of that.
    That's how I've always measured out rice. I cook 1/3rd of a mug for me. Although I'd usually cook 2/3rds of a mug so I have a portion cooked ready for my next meal too.

I don't cook pasta. I just find it so pointless.... I just can't ever see pasta + sauce as being a meal.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't cook pasta. I just find it so pointless.... I just can't ever see pasta + sauce as being a meal.

I must admit we don't eat a lot of pasta but I made this dish yesterday which was more than enough for two of us and there is quite a bit left over my my husbands lunch today.

3 skinned chicken thighs (£1.35 for 6 at the minute in Lidl), tin of Cross and Blackwell vegetable soup (was 25p in discount shop), jar Dolmio Calabria pepperoni and tomato sauce - 25p discount shop) and some Tesco multi coloured spiral pasta.

I cooked everything in the slow cooker (except the pasta) for about 7 hours, took out the chicken and deboned it (easy as it fell off the bone), cut up chicken and put back into slow cooker. Cooked and drained pasta and added to chicken in sc.

:)

Easy and very filling. If anyone hasn't tried the Dolmio Calabria sauce it is very very nice. Quite spicy with a distinct pepperoni flavour.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice everyone.

Will start by using 100g each and increase it if needed.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    sb44 wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice everyone.

Will start by using 100g each and increase it if needed.

3 1/2 or 100g of dry weight is what is suggested on packets of pasta.

And now I have some new electric scales that allow me to zero and weigh again. It meant that for tea the other night I did 300g and that was three servings.

Normally I would have just chucked all the bag in but I had some left over. So that might help with portion sizes.

Did the same with my breakfast cereal so I know how much a portion size is.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    we buy uncle bens rice, because it is the only rice either of seem to be able to cook. that suggests a serving of 75g per person.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • crnflke
    crnflke Posts: 79 Forumite
    I always do 70-75g of pasta per person which I find is more than enough for a substantial meal, and I do 50g of rice per person or half a mug for 2 people, which again seems like plenty, I used to cook way more than this when I used to just chuck it straight in the pan without weighing etc, which was so wasteful.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been thinking about 'cutting my rations' (oo-er, matron!) from 100g to 75g.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    I use 1.5cups of rice for two of us and I put the dried pasta into the serving bowls first (just under the quantity I would like to see when its cooked) and put that in.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi there, Just reviving this thread because I'm thinking about portion sizes at the moment.

DH has 150g of rice (dry weight) at dinner and needs 3 slices of toast/a pudding after that.

With the rice he would be having chilli/stew/curry a portion equivalent to 1.5-2 ladlefuls.

Seems from reading back this is not the norm... But perhaps only the people with delicate, small appetites responded?! Can I hear from anyone with a bigger appetite?

P.S DH is not overweight, he is 6 foot 3.5 and still quite a high metabolism at 34.

Thanks loads for any opinions :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Hi Weezl :D

I have just weighed out what I usually cook for rice for the 6 of us and it's 680g. DH, DS1 & DS2 have the lions share and DD, DS3 & I have the rest split 3 ways. The elder two boys generally have a pudding too as there seems to be no filling them at the moment! Does this help at all?

As for pasta I do about 100g per person which works out a a whole 500g bag and a 'bit more' from another bag which isn't too exact I know :rotfl: I'll weigh it later on today as I'm making pasta bake.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport