Employer refusing holiday for certain days of the week

Hi

I work in a bar 5 days a week and I want to take holiday that includes a Friday and Saturday. My employer has said that I'm never allowed to take Fridays or Saturdays off. This limits me to a maximum of 5 days holiday (Sunday - Thursday).

I know employers can dictate certain days and refuse certain periods, but can they day that I can never have certain days of the week off?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Never? What do they do if someone wants a week or fortnight's holiday? Expect them to fly home for the Fri/Sat.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,782 Forumite
    but can they day that I can never have certain days of the week off?

yes. IIRC there are some exemptions in that they must let shop workers(?) have Sunday off if they want it but that's about it
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    Never? What do they do if someone wants a week or fortnight's holiday? Expect them to fly home for the Fri/Sat.
    It doesn't matter what people want. There is no right to a week or a fortnight. Unreasonable? Yes. Unlawful? No. There is a right to at least 28 days including public holidays where given. There is no right to a week or two weeks.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Spendless wrote: »

If the OP wants a week or a fortnight off they will have to take a different job that does allow it - it's bar work, hardly a major issue to find another position.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    As above it's legal. Your only real option if you don't like it is to leave unfortunately.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Regardless of whether it is legal, in practice the OP's employer is not likely to find staff who never wish to take a week or fortnight off work and can continue to work every Friday and Saturday until they retire or the place shuts down! Unless s/he wants to continually recruit staff, they are going to have to come with a solution about people sometimes wanting Friday and Saturday off.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Unless EVERYONE on the books ALWAYS works EVERY Friday and Saturday, then the obvious answer is to ask around and see if one of the non-weekenders would be prepared to swap a few shifts.

But I totally agree with Spendless, this is going to lead to rapid staff turnover, but maybe the employer doesn't care?

I wonder what they do if someone goes sick?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Don't you get "sick" now and again!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sooo no holidays abroad.............yep I know you can do 5 days but come on.

No brother or sister wedding, anniversaries ....in fact most family events. What a sacrifice for some bar job. Use them until you need the time off. Get your pay and walk away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure