Cycle helmet advice

Looking at getting into cycling. It'll be mainly used for road/track (not racing track :o) and possibly canal.

Went into a local bike shop at the weekend & one of the things i looked at were helmets. The bottom row were £30 helmets & as you worked up i saw price tags of £70. The upper shelves were probably dearer than that.

I don't want to pay over the odds but likewise i don't want something that isn't that good. Now i'm sure they all have to pass tests so the £30 helmet should be good enough but why would you buy a £70 helmet over a £30 helmet for example?

Is it all down to just how light they are or whatever?

Sorry, wish i could show you the ones i were looking at so you'd be able to give feedback based on specifics but anyone in the bike game will probably know what i'm on about anyway :)

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Cheap helmets are as good as expensive helmets for keeping your head safe. Expensive helmets are more stylish, or lighter, or more aero, or a more comfortable fit, or keep your head cooler, or have more features.

My two current helmets retailed at £140 each. Both bought for style, weiight and comfort reasons, with no further consideration for safety other than safety ibeing the reason why I wear a helmet in the first place.

It's a bit like clothing really, would you choose to buy Primark or Ted Baker?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • brat wrote: »
    It's a bit like clothing really, would you choose to buy Primark or Ted Baker?
    Primark in that case.
    A t-shirt is a t-shirt, it does the same job as the Ted Baker T-shirt. The only thing it doesn't do is have people saying oh look how much he spends on his clothes :)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I agree with Brat, the safety standard all helmets are certified to is fairly basic so you're not getting a safer helmet by spending more money. If possible it's good to be able to try them before buying as the fit can vary and you want something comfortable.

John
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Primark in that case.
    A t-shirt is a t-shirt, it does the same job as the Ted Baker T-shirt. The only thing it doesn't do is have people saying oh look how much he spends on his clothes :)

I agree, up to a point. I spend a fair bit on cycling, because I cycle a lot - 2,900 miles already this year. I ride fairly expensive bikes because they're so much nicer to ride. I wear decent cycling clothing because it fits well, is technical and lasts.
    So I like my helmet to complement the rest of the kit; to be comfortable, to have good quality componentry, and to keep my head cool.

I also have two Ted Baker items of clothing, trousers and a jacket. I get many complements, especially on the jacket which is very stylish, yet traditional.

I know this is a money saving website. I save money as hard as I can so that I can spend it more freely on things that I enjoy spending it on. With bikes and bike kit, I tend to find that if something feels good to ride in or on, you will use it more often. :)
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • I take your point & agree with you.

For this though it's a case of getting into cycling so if the more expensive helmets don't offer anything with more safety then I'm not really wanting to splash out on everything top level to begin with in case it ends up just a 5 minute phase. Hopefully not but it might.

If it becomes a bit of a hobby then in time I may look at shelling out a bit more.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    For me the sweet spot is £50-£70.

Below £40 I think you're looking at really basic cheap helmets which may pass the safety criteria but in terms of weight, comfort and build quality I just wouldn't bother with them.

I wear a Specialized Propero 3 which I picked up in a sale for £55. It's got much better ventilation than the previous cheapo helmet I had, looks better and fits much better.

I honestly didn't really see much difference between that and the Evade one they do which is a £100 more!

Also, cycling gear does benefit from ludicrous savings at the end of each year. For example, Evans are selling the old Bell Gage helmet for £40 at the moment... It was over £150 when it released.

I aim to pay around 50 quid for my helmets and always look at clearance stock to make sure I get much better quality helmets with huge discounts simply because I don't really care if i'm wearing the latest gear.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    brat wrote: »
    I also have two Ted Baker items of clothing, trousers and a jacket. I get many complements, especially on the jacket which is very stylish, yet traditional.

I never know what to say when people compliment my clothes!

If someone says "That's a nice jacket", is the appropriate response, "Yes. I know. That's why I bought it."? Or simply, "I'll pass your feedback onto the retailer"...? :p
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I seem to remember the head of one of the largest helmet manufacturers doing a bit of a Gerald Ratner style PR gaffe when she was giving a lecture to other business people. She said her job was to see how much money she could get people to part with for a piece of polystyrene with holes in it. If you were a helmet manufacturer you would:
    1)Protect and promote your brand in every way possible
    2)Design good looking helmets
    3)Go to the east and get them made for pennies
    4)Sell them for as much as you can get people to pay
    If you look at reviews of helmets basically everybody is very happy with what they buy. I paid less than £20 and have a Giro Indicator that I've been very happy with. I forget that I am wearing it. The only thing that bothers me would be that my helmet doesn't bother me.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Got to agree with fred246. Nothing wrong with my Aldi helmet for under £20 and it has a built in rear light and 3 year warranty. 30 days returns policy if you decide you don't like it.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I never pay more than £20 for a helmet, my last one was one from the Lidl sell-off, cost me about £5.

I have one that I leave on my bike in a town centre rather than carrying it around, the decorative coating is coming off and it is unlikely to draw attention. Had someone ask me if I was not worried about the safety aspect - er, no, the polystyrene is fully in tact and it has never been dropped or knocked, just had the sun on it.

There is a cardboard one being developed
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/cardboard-bike-helmet/
    and I shall probably be buying one to keep as a spare - easy to carry and will be handy if anyone ever decides to cut one off my bike and jump on it (again :eek:). I can see no reason why it should not give a good standard of protection.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport