£5k for a high MPG car

Options
I have around £5k to get a second hand car that is cheap to run, I do 25k plus miles a year so want a good MPG.

I don't want anything too small but other than that not fussed, not image conscious, don't need performance etc. 5 door hatch is preferred.

Any recommendations?

I have seen the Seat Ibiza Ecomotive that seems OK and does allegedly 76 MPG combined which is OK but I know that's under lab conditions.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How big a hacthback?

Skoda Octavia/Seat Leon might fit your budget and are economical with the 1.6 engines.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seat, member of VW. Does it have the same questionable software as VW?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seat, member of VW. Does it have the same questionable software as VW?

For the £5K budget, doubtful.

For the money, it would be Honda Civic 8th gen or faceflift 2.2 cdti. Buy one for £4000 and keep the £1000 for a possible clutch replacement and remap. Happy days.

I used to default to any 1/9tdi vag engine car, but my current Civic is better in every way for me.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any suitable VW group car with the 1.9TDI PD engine. 50-60mpg and you'll have money spare for any repairs and servicing
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    For the £5K budget, doubtful.

For the money, it would be Honda Civic 8th gen or faceflift 2.2 cdti. Buy one for £4000 and keep the £1000 for a possible clutch replacement and remap. Happy days.

I used to default to any 1/9tdi vag engine car, but my current Civic is better in every way for me.

+1 for a Civic. stretch to £4300 and a1 clutches replaced my clutch and DMF on mine for £700 last year...
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    +1 for a Civic. stretch to £4300 and a1 clutches replaced my clutch and DMF on mine for £700 last year...

I am waiting for my clutch to go (currently on 150K miles) then its an uprated clutch and remap !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure