How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central Heating System?

I have just had a radiator spring a leak and will be replacing it with a new one. Unfortunately the feed and return are both contained in the same valve which has a copper feed tube inserted into the Rad. In order to replace the radiator I am now having to drain the system and fit standard valves to it. While I'm doing this I may as well clean and flush the system (which isn't badly sludged) but need to calculate how much cleanser is needed (1% solution).

Anyone know how to calculate the volume of water please? System has 10mm pipework and 11 radiators and is installed in a detached 4 bedroomed house.

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.

Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me:question:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me:question:

It is concentrated. On the 1L Sentinel container, it states that it should be sufficient for a typical central heating system i.e. 100 litres.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    DS-40 is the only one I can immediately spot that needs a calculation to work out how much to use. But then you shouldn't be using DS-40 in your situation. (you said the radiator was leaking, plus you have very old style double entry valves)
    Which product have you got?
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • I have removed the radiator already as it had developed a fracture (on the rear unfortunately). Not sure whether you're referring to the heating system or cleanser when you mention what product have I got.

I haven't got the cleanser at the moment but was looking at Sentinel which Plumb Centre sell in 1 litre bottles. (On the website it does mention a 1% solution which as stated above is suitable for 100 litres) I have used fernox or ferinox in the past as an inhibitor which seems to have kept the system pretty clean.

It's not a great problem to replace the old double entry valves, just inconvenient really
  • orainsear
    orainsear Posts: 323 Forumite
    What is the name of the product that you have bought?

Edit: Just noticed your post. For a system of the size you have described, if you are using the Sentinel X400 it would be recommended to use the full 1 litre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure