PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• Roast potatoes prepped and in the freezer I have also prepped a bag of honeyed parsnips, sprouts, carrots, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls, and made 24 mince pies, cheese straws, cheese rolls (like sausage rolls) sausage rolls, 24 mince pies, cake, Christmas pudding, Lemon cake, Chocolate rum and raisin Torte and a Chocolate chestnut cake
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Chocolate chestnut cake? Sounds lovely!

We are having profiteroles (my late dh's favourite), stepdad wants Xmas pud, Mum wants lemon meringue, I want banoffee pie, MIL wants pavlova, kids want ice creams and FIL wants a bit of everything. We also have Xmas cake and mince pies lol. So everything is in mini version this year. That way we can all join FIL in a bit of everything without making ourselves sick :D
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Just a little reminder for those planning to have SWEDE - cook it in the microwave (like a jacket spud) then scoop out the inside when it`s soft enough. NO PEELING OR CHOPPING!!! Tastes better than boiled/steamed, too. You can freeze it or chill it & reheat. Most useful tip I`ve seen in years, I found it on these forums a while back.

(Sorry if someone`s already said this, I`ve not read all the pages.)
  • going to do some precooking and freezing this year to try and make things a little easier on the day.

does anyone know if i make sage and onion stuffing up from a packet should i make balls and freeze it raw or cook it first then freeze?
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    binkyboo wrote: »
    going to do some precooking and freezing this year to try and make things a little easier on the day.

does anyone know if i make sage and onion stuffing up from a packet should i make balls and freeze it raw or cook it first then freeze?

I wouldn't bother - it takes seconds to make so why not just make it on the day?
  • Justamum wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother - it takes seconds to make so why not just make it on the day?

just wanted to save on the time, mess and extra washing up! would rather pull the roasties and stuffing balls out of the freezer and straight into the oven. Read on here that people have frozen their stuffing before just not sure if they cooked it first?
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    If you want to save time on Christmas Day, I'd just do it the night before, let it stand, and then shape into balls and put into the fridge overnight. that way, you can soak and wash-up the bowl before going to bed. When making it up don't use too much water if you're going to shape it into balls.

If your kitchen is very cold overnight, you could just leave it out on the worktop - but I wouldn't advise doing that if you have any 'four-legged family members' ;).
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    binkyboo wrote: »
    just wanted to save on the time, mess and extra washing up! would rather pull the roasties and stuffing balls out of the freezer and straight into the oven. Read on here that people have frozen their stuffing before just not sure if they cooked it first?

I must say I haven't tried it. I know some people bake their stuffing, but my mum never did - just poured boiling water on it and then it was served up so that's the way I do it. As for roast potatoes, I've always got spare parboiled spuds in the freezer, and they are really handy.
  • Justamum wrote: »
    I must say I haven't tried it. I know some people bake their stuffing, but my mum never did - just poured boiling water on it and then it was served up so that's the way I do it. As for roast potatoes, I've always got spare parboiled spuds in the freezer, and they are really handy.

I have just part cooked my roast potatoes going to open freeze them then bag them up to reheat from frozen and finish off the cooking in the oven on christmas day, starting to worry i've done that wrong now too! Should i have just par boiled them and then frozen them?
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2012 at 3:48PM
    Moved post to a different thread as it was a recipe and this thread is more about preparing Christmas meals...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure