We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JPB156 wrote: »
    So people should say oh to hell with it, I can afford it today so it will be fine tomorrow?
    Isn't that how people get into trouble
    No. People are saying do a budget. Find out how much average bills are. Google a tax credit calculator run through some scenarios both working full-time into it.

2 f-time wages plus childcare costs

1 f-time wage

1 f-time wage plus 1 part-time wage.

Ask both of parents hypothetically if you were to have a child are any of them prepared to help out with childcare.

See what the figures say, and then come back and say if it's worked out to be do-able.

You seem to be making a decision without actually knowing what help financial or otherwise you would or wouldn't get.
  • JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Doing a budget as accurate as we can says we can squeeze mortgage to about 1100 but so why do they say it shout be 40% max
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So people should say oh to hell with it, I can afford it today so it will be fine tomorrow?
    Isn't that how people get into trouble

You seem to think that there are only two options: only make a decision if you are 100% sure it will work perfectly or go completely crazy with your money and be irresponsible. There is a middle way! You do your research, but accept that life is always a risk. You remind me of a friend of mine who has been in a job she has hated for YEARS. She won't look for a new job because 'what if the company goes bust soon after I start' and 'I won't have any protection for two years' blah blah. Life is a risk.
  • JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Looking at benefits seems to suggest we will get pretty much no help. Both sets of parents work
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be 600 for first 5 years but would quickly double if interest rates return to more normal levels

So you're not expecting to better yourself, at all, over those 5 years? No ambition to get a job with a salary above NMW? Just stick in the same job earning the bear minimum. Is your girlfriend happy with your complete lack of ambition?

I can't say I would ever marry someone who had no intention of doing anything other than stagnate is a low paid job.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • OP

Do you suffer with anxiety? Has anyone ever got their fingers burnt with mortgages etc?

The only reason I ask is that you are displaying behaviour that seems irrational otherwise.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 10:06PM
    OP, I dont really have any advice.

But I will commend you on actually thinking about your finances before deciding to have children. So many people just pop them out then moan when they dont have any money. I wish you both the best of luck for the future.

Aditionally i dont know why you are getting so much stick, you are actually being sensible by basing your future affordability on your current earnings, rather than based on future promotions the other forum members seem to be giving you.
  • OP, I dont really have any advice.

But I will commend you on actually thinking about your finances before deciding to have children. So many people just pop them out then moan when they dont have any money. I wish you both the best of luck for the future.

There's thinking about it and then there's what the OP seems to be doing.......
  • There's thinking about it and then there's what the OP seems to be doing.......

Which is.........
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Which is.........

Tying themselves in knots over everyday things?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure