Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dniester007
    Homemade washing up liquid
    • 19th Oct 06, 1:55 PM
    Homemade washing up liquid 19th Oct 06 at 1:55 PM
    I'm obsessed with homemade washing up liquid, but can't quite get the recipe right.

I live in a hard water area, so any natural soaps I use tend to leave lots of scum.

My current best recipe contains water (of course), salt, a natural soap (what is a natural, ecological detergent!), lemon juice, sodium bicarb, glycerine (the cake version) and some essential oil. It looks a bit like the Ecover version (Ecover are a bit of a con in my opinion).

Anyone else got any recipes?

I may try to sell some at a Christmas craft fair. I made lots of homemade ecological baths salts, shake and vac, bath oil etc last Christmas and did quite well at a craft fair.
Page 2
  • clairemorgan
    I'm obsessed with homemade washing up liquid, but can't quite get the recipe right.

I live in a hard water area, so any natural soaps I use tend to leave lots of scum.

My current best recipe contains water (of course), salt, a natural soap (what is a natural, ecological detergent!), lemon juice, sodium bicarb, glycerine (the cake version) and some essential oil. It looks a bit like the Ecover version (Ecover are a bit of a con in my opinion).

Anyone else got any recipes?

I may try to sell some at a Christmas craft fair. I made lots of homemade ecological baths salts, shake and vac, bath oil etc last Christmas and did quite well at a craft fair.
    Originally posted by dniester007

My group- lots and lots of recipes for all things homemade.
    on faceebook- I'm not allowed to post links as a new member but if you search tips, hints and ideas for a cranks lifestyle you should find it- loads of recipes for home made cleaners, shampoos etc etc
  • zarazara
    Home made dishwashing liquid.
    Does anyone have a recipe for HM dishwashing liquid please?
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 10th Jan 11, 5:47 PM
    • 17,102 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Does anyone have a recipe for HM dishwashing liquid please?
    Originally posted by zarazara
    Here you go I'll merge this to that thread later.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
  • zarazara
    Thanks PP.That was quick. Happy New Year BTW.
  • zarazara
    I have white vinegar, bicarb , some liquid soap and water, is it ok to do an experimental mix of this lot?
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 10th Jan 11, 7:32 PM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 9,989 Thanks
    Seakay
    yes, just make sure that you rinse to ensure no soap is left on dishes.

A "make do and mend" way of using up the last scraps of bar soap is to put it in a littlle net or very small wire basket and then swish it in the hot washing up water to use it up for cleaning dishes. You have to be aware that the soapy water will not make loads of bubbles, and again you need a rinsing sink or bowl (I use the water that has to run before the hot water arrives)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

9,089Users online

Martin's Twitter