Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4
    • 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4 6th Jun 10 at 12:02 PM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch this morning and suggested that it's time for Part 4 because part 3 has grown and grown, thanks to you all for your hard work! She will add links to this thread so that we can carry on seamlessly.

It's wonderful to think that we are now at the start of part 4! It's thanks to you all that this little idea, started just over two years ago, has become such a success!

FOR ALL NEWBIES AND LURKERS - I have tried to post a link to a post but, for some reason, it hasn't worked. Until I have sorted it out, please look for post number 1885, which you will find on page 95 of this thread - it will tell you all about what we do! Do please join us!

For all those who may have been lurking, please, please feel free to join us! You will receive the warmest of welcomes and I just know you will enjoy it here!

KathyXX

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: 'Knit Your Square to Give Your Share' is a wonderful group that knits and crochets for charitable causes, both in the UK and overseas. They provide ideas, links to stockists, tutorials and other useful websites, encouragement to one another and, most importantly, handmade items that are distributed among deserving causes. For more information please see this post. Thanks to mioliere for starting Part 4 of what is, undoubtedly, a fantastic group.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 20-03-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 4
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 10th Jun 10, 4:43 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    Afternoon all
    just a quick post from me today,
    MIL had her Pacemaker fitted on Tuesday and all seemed fine but she was very quiet and far away which we put down to the anesthetic.

OH had a phone call from the hospital yesterday Lunchtime telling him to get straight there and inform his brothers as well.

So off we dash not knowing what to expect and arrived there 40 mins later to find a doctor and several nurses round her bed, apparently she had slipped off her chair onto the floor and they were unsure why!!!
    Luckily she was unhurt just bruised and very shook up.

After much to-ing and fro-ing we were told her BP was really low and she was very dehydrated, so they have put a tube in to get some fluid into her.

Oh has gone on his own today and I have been catching up with things here.
    Made a shepherds pie for Dinner tonight with loads of veg, it's one of OH's favourite's.

Spoke to a lady in the same ward yesterday who had a ball of wool and some needles on her cupboard, she said "I only knit tea cosies and squares but it's no good I just can't knit in here" I almost asked her if I could have a dabble

Managed to get the preemie cardi done last night just the front bands to do now then find some buttons.

Sending lots of gentle loving (((hugs))) to all today, so many with illness in their families lately.

Anne
    x

Sorry for going on, this was meant to be a quick post
  • In Search Of Me
    thanks all...mum ok and on the mend...hoping she will be home tomorrow. They were happy for her to come today but she was wary - I think the pain the other day has dented her confidence a bit. The staff laugh at us as we sit knitting like a pair of old farts!

Pippa poor you-that must have been awfully worrying for you all...anathetic does take time to get out of the body - last one I had took me a good few weeks to feel "with it" (some will argue Im still not right

Dp pixie have you got a piccy of hexagon jumper - Im intregued!

Does anyone have either of the beyond the square books? Wondering how they compare to the 100/101 books? - ie worth buying or not!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• f1widow
    Hello ladies - in early this morning and promise I will make it short hmmm

isom - has the work thing gone wrong? - You have had a lot on your plate recently - take good care - hope Mum is improving and will be home soon xxx

pippa - how worrying for you over Mum - I thought they checked blood pressure on a regular basis?? And as for being de-hydrated that does not surprise me DH's Nan waited hours for a jug of water in the end FIL went and brought a bottle - I just wish they would check the basics like are they drinking enough - gosh when I was younger my Mum nagged me chronic (in fact she whispers she still does down the phone tee hee) - am hoping things get better from now on xx nice that you were knitting with one of the ladies xxx

salome - my sympathy with daughter and tooth am glad all mine are not with me anymore in some ways xxx

Right am off the house has developed "piles" just about everywhere - I could do with an indoor wheelbarrow to collect it all up
    Love and hugs to all xxx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 11th Jun 10, 9:08 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi all. I had no power for most of yesterday while electrical work was being carried out then, as soon as I had logged on to the internet, we had a huge thunderstorm, so I had to unplug the Livebox - it was not my day for communicating yesterday! As an added irritation, the tanking solution I had ordered from the UK (which we needed a few days ago!) has still not arrived, despite parcel tracking telling me that it is in the depot in Poitiers (just about half an hour or so away). I managed to contact online assistance yesterday and they promised to email me but, of course, I heard nothing. I've just spent another half an hour on online assistance and am still waiting for the email. Having spent £90 on the tanking solution, and a further £23 on shipping, it's starting to wind me up.

Anyway, rant over. On the plus side, I needed a Certificate of Conformity for my car as the final bit to it becoming French registered - it usually costs at least £100 (DH's Ford van cost £120!). I wrote to BMW (my car is 14 years old and still going strong) and they emailed me as soon as they got my letter to say the certificate is on the way, in French to make it easier for me, and no charge! What a brilliant result - it arrived yesterday so they got on with it as soon as they had received my initial letter. I was so impressed I had to email them back to thank them, for which they thanked me! Anyway, as you can imagine, I am delighted.

I managed to get a bit more done on my throw and hope to finish that later on today. Meanwhile, I have to move my desk and PC (again!) so that DH can start plastering.

Pippa - I hope your MIL is feeling a lot better now.

ISOM - hope you Mum can come home today.

Shez - (((hugs))) to your Mum.

Jean and DPixie - you'll remember that I was promised instructions to get my Livebox re-activated the next time it goes down. What they sent me is the initial letter you get when you first sign up; it's headed 'Vos identifiants de connexion' and shows all the details unique to you which you obviously tap in to reactivate the box. Hope this helps. If they send me anything else, I will let you know.

By the way, haven't heard from Jean for ages now, unless I have missed a recent post? Hope you are OK, Jean.

Hope you all have a great day - it's raining and very dull here but, apparently, is meant to be getting better from tomorrow.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• f1widow
    Just to let you know ladies that I have just had a quick look on Innocent Smoothies website - it does look like they will be going ahead this year but they have said they are only having little hats this year (not the warmers or big hats etc) - they say more info to follow xx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 11th Jun 10, 11:00 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Thanks for that, Jaqui. I must confess that I'd rather do the little hats that any of other things! They're easy to pick up and put down, and use such tiny scraps of wool that they are a great way to use up all the oddments. Once you've done just a couple, you don't have to keep referring to the pattern!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• dpixie
    • By dpixie 11th Jun 10, 2:00 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    morning all.

isom- will post a picture as soon as i work out how - any clues as to where the "how to" e-mail is these days. i have to say that the jumper is easy, peasy lemon squeezy - much easier than anything else. its a similar pattern to the squares that you made for your babette blanket, except you make hexagons rather than squares. i can talk you though it easily enough (now that i have made 8 of them).

kathy - i am well versed in the delivery nonsense - why cant people just deliver on time???

oh well, just back from the gp - she is very happy with my weight loss - which is great - and so all is well in my life for the moment. i am just waiting to go and collect my car - it is being serviced - i am sure i will be very unhappy when i get the bill.

anyway, washing, ironing and dishes to do, so must run.

have a fabulous day all.

dpixie
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 11th Jun 10, 2:02 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    hexagon jumper

/Users/dcristofoli/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/4 Jun 2010/IMG_2397.JPG
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 11th Jun 10, 2:03 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    sorry about that - was trying to be too clever and paste a picture from my library - will look for the "how to" mail.

dpixie
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 11th Jun 10, 2:15 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    here goes again

http://img229.imageshack.us/i/img2401xf.jpg/%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8918/img2401xf.th.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

i will see if this works
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 11th Jun 10, 5:42 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    DPixie - gorgeous cardigans! I have seen the pattern somewhere and thought it looked difficult but, having seen yours, I shall definitely have a go at one!

I am, right now, talking to 'online live assistance' trying to track my parcel! It's been in Poitiers since Tuesday - I might as well go and collect it myself, it's only half an hour or so from here!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 11th Jun 10, 6:06 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Hi to everyone---
    Hope all with their hands full manage to offload a bit this weekend. Lots of gentle thoughts to all the "poorlies!"

Dpixie -- I love those cardies--- I am sure you are running around in circles with all the last minute bits and bobs before the move.

I am not really a football fan but can just use it as a means of getting on quietly with some "hooking" However that buzzing in the stadium is enough to drive you mad !!!!

Well unusually for me we were up early this morning to go to a market in a nearby town which has a wool stall. I need to make sure I have plenty to accompany me as we travel!!! The wool here as Kathy says is not so nice as the wool in the UK but I am going to use it all together for the next "Lappys" Hope it isn't too hot in the Sunshine Bus to hook!!

Well as the World Cup starts so does the Fiesta we have come back for -- The Fiesta of the Moors and Christians. The Spanish love Fiestas and this one starts tonight and carries on night and day unti Sunday Night !! Lots of noise I am sure!!

Love to one and all
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • In Search Of Me

Piccy of DPPixies cardi!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In Search Of Me
    In haste as off to colleect my niece from the station in a mo. She is in mums flat for a few weeks as on placement so coming here for TLC and company for the wend. It will be a squish but well manage!
    Mums here knitting happily. Managed to come home this am so I then had time to do a shop and have a snooze. Need another ball of debby bliss so booked it from john lewis and will take niece into town tom so mum can have some quiet...evening will be a dvd and nice meal. Annoyed I need another ball though as its not cheap and pre this ball already cost £20 but it is lovely having said that! Will upload when finished - some time next week I hope. I know the recipients will love it!
    Will catch up later but hugs meanwhile!

• psso
    • By psso 11th Jun 10, 10:12 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Hi everyone, bit quiet isn`t it ?

Having a quiet time here tonight as young `uns are out.

dpixie - those cardies are just sooo cute. Even DD said they were lovely as she was passing while I was lokking at them earlier. What size are they and any chance of sharing the pattern - pretty pretty please ????

ISOM and Pippa S - hope Mum/MIL continue to improve. Worrying times for you.

Kathy - I heard from Jean today. She`s been down at her foster daughter`s all week looking after the family. Hopes to be home tomorrow as they are having visitors arriving. No doubt she`ll be popping in as soon as she gets a few minutes to herself.

Off to have a look for dinosaur patterns. DGS has had his room done with a dinosaur mural and thinks he needs a dinosaur to cuddle in bed with him. Hmmmm.....

Bye for now, sleep well.

Elaine.x
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
  • sock-knitter
    eveing all, hope the poorlies are on the mend, my head all over place at mo, but i remember lots mums/,il's poorly
    isom glad to see your mum is back home
    dpixie, love the cardigans, really lovely
    kathy, hope you recieve your parcel soon
    f1, i've had some mishaps sewing too, they are so annoying
    no knitting done here today, too upset and too tired, been one hell of a day, could do with off loading to be honest
    hugs
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • sock-knitter
    elaine, i have a copy of a jean greenhowe dinosaur pattern, that kathy sent me. i knitted a couple for Lh i could send it to u, i dont have a scanner to send it via email, so would be snail mail
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 12th Jun 10, 3:59 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone

Woke up early so had to get up for a cuppa. Have been offline a lot lately either because the power has had to be switched off so that new sockets and light switches can be installed, or because we've had thunder and lightning, which happened twice yesterday!

Shaz - I hope you have a much better day today.

ISOM - glad your Mum is back at home and enjoying her knitting.

Pippa - hope MIL is feeling better.

Elaine - I had completely forgotten that Jean was away this week. She'd even emailed and told me! I heard from her yesterday - apparently she's taken no knitting and only two pairs of knickers!! Sounds as if she's been really busy with the boys, doesn't it?

My parcel still hasn't arrived and no-one seems to know where it is. The last I heard, it is 'being looked for'. I must have spent an hour and a half on the online helpline with no luck, but have been given a phone number to call this morning. At the moment, we are £100+ out of pocket, need the stuff yesterday, and fed up with wasting time chasing it up. I used Parcels Please for the delivery and, so far, am very unimpressed.

I have nearly finished my throw and I'm longing to get on and paint-spray the chair I'm making it for but it's been so damp that I'm waiting for a dry day for it. The forecast is good for today, so hopefully I'll get it done later.

Chalky - the festival sounds lovely. Regarding the 'terrible tooters' at the World Cup matches, I did think about the noise when I first heard about them a couple of weeks ago. It's really distracting, isn't it? Hopefully, the English fans will drown it out with their singing in today's match! I am really missing all the excitement this time. You wouldn't even know that France were in the World Cup judging by the lack of any evidence here. There's some stuff in the shops - flags and so on - but no-one's buying it!

Anyway, I think I'll go and put the kettle on again.

See you all later.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• In Search Of Me
    Morning all. Sitting here with mum and niece ready to start the day. Postie just bought beyond the square which is delicious..lots of original shapes and yummy squares. popping into town and will then teach niece how to make choc brownies!Also need to get a ball of debbie bliss to finish cardi...

• Mrs Twins
    • By Mrs Twins 12th Jun 10, 1:31 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Mrs Twins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sues_favourite_things/sets/72157624244462346/

Please click on the small photos to enlarge!

Hi Everyone on MSE.

Just to say thank you to all the Ladies who have contributed Squares for the 'sun' theme challenge. I have now made 6 'sun' themed Blankets for the Elderly.
    I cannot do these Blankets without the help of Friends on MSE, Flickr, 'Mrs Twins', 'SIBOL'.
    So a big Thank you!

We have Challenges coming up. Details are on the side bar (Scroll down).
    www.sunshineinternationalblanketsoflove.blogspot.c om
    I do hope you will pop over to the Flickr link at the top of the page and this will show you the 6 'sun' themed Blankets I have made.

Many thanks, and enjoy your Summer everyone!
    Hugs Suex
    Last edited by Mrs Twins; 12-06-2010 at 1:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

3,451Users online

Martin's Twitter