Hyundai i20 v Mazda 2 opinions??

divadee
divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
we have am 07 grande punto that we are going to serll and buy a new car. Mr divadee likes the hyundai i10 1.4 diesel comfort or the mazda 2 1.3 tempura special edition (he likes the hyundai interior about 20% more than the mazda)

which one of these would be a better buy?

hyundai would cost 11,450 OTR and the Mazda 11,135 OTR

Many Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hyundai i20 for me personallly but it is a tough choice. I think the Mazda is the nice looking car but when I looked at it, I thought the interior wasn't great and since that is what you see most of the time I didn't go with it.

Are you comparing petrol with diesel though- do you need a diesel for the miles etc?
  • The Hyundai, like most Far Eastern cars, will be worth as much as a balloon and a goldfish when you come to sell it on.

The Mazda will hold its value better
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What wrong with the Punto, and where can i buy a good used Huy for a "Goldfish and Baloon"?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a Mazda2 (the Tamura special edition, a TS2 with some extra bits and the 86bhp 1.3 petrol engine) in Sept 09. I didn't consider the Hyundai at the time so can't compare the two but I can say that I like the 2. It is not particularly quick but it handles well, can carry 4 adults comfortably and will cruise easily on the motorway at 80mph. I did 450 miles in mine in the last couple of days and it is not tiring on long journeys. In mixed motoring we are getting around 45mpg.
  • fb1969
    fb1969 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We have owned 2 Madza 2 TS2s for two years (too many 2s) and would struggle to recommended them. Both have a problem where the clutch pedal clicks when it is used. This has been fully investigated by the dealer and Mazda and no fix has been possible.

We believe that this issue only affects earlier cars like ours, but it will make us think more than twice about whether to buy another Mazda.
  • LandyAndy
    fb1969 wrote: »
    We have owned 2 Madza 2 TS2s for two years (too many 2s) and would struggle to recommended them. Both have a problem where the clutch pedal clicks when it is used. This has been fully investigated by the dealer and Mazda and no fix has been possible.

We believe that this issue only affects earlier cars like ours, but it will make us think more than twice about whether to buy another Mazda.

My 2 doesn't have a clicking clutch pedal.:)

My father and I have owned 6 Mazdas between us over the last 18 years and nothing has gone wrong with any of them except a sunvisor splitting, on an RX-8, that was replaced under warranty.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    The Hyundai, like most Far Eastern cars, will be worth as much as a balloon and a goldfish when you come to sell it on.

The Mazda will hold its value better

So where is the Mazda produced?

The Hyundai has a 5 year warranty which is in it's favour, but nothing much to choose between them otherwise IMO.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Especially if you are inclined to sell up in 3 years the Mazda 2 will work out cheaper as it does hold it's value very well.
    When I last checked up the 3 best cars for holding value in % terms in this class were the Mini closely followed by Skoda Fabia and Mazda 2 which are about the same.
    If you want to say, Mini isn't in the same class due to lack of space, fair cop I'll accept that.

If you were going to keep the car for 5 years the Hyundai's longer warranty might swing it.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    thanks for the opinions guys. The only thing that put me off the mazda was the interior. Outside much better looking than the 120 but interior wise it looked v v cheap and shoddily put together, screws were visible in numerous places that you wouldnt of expected. it just looked cheap.

i will let you know what we decide lol
  • LandyAndy
    divadee wrote: »
    thanks for the opinions guys. The only thing that put me off the mazda was the interior. Outside much better looking than the 120 but interior wise it looked v v cheap and shoddily put together, screws were visible in numerous places that you wouldnt of expected. it just looked cheap.

i will let you know what we decide lol

Have you driven either of them? That might swing it for you.

If you are, ahem, wide;) you may not fit in the Mazda's seats very comfortably.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure