Quick fix for leaky garage roof?

Is there anything relatively inexpensive we can try on our garage roof to stop the leaks? The (flat) roof is made from sections of concrete and has a covering which I presume is roofing felt. This is covered with gravel. Its quite old I think. Is there something we can paint on to hold the leaks for a while?

Comments

• bkclive
    bkclive Posts: 48 Forumite
    Any decent DIY store will have tins of roof sealant, which is simply painted on. Some types have to be put on in the dry, others (more expensive) can be applied in the rain if it's a real emergency. I bought a tin of the 'apply in the wet or dry' for about £12.00 a few weeks ago with enough in it for a square metre of coverage. It did what it said on the tin, and we've had no more problems. Of course you would have to remove all the gravel first before the paint can be applied which if not done carefully can actually damage the waterproofing further. Another point is knowing exactly where the leak is! I notice you said 'leaks'. If the roof covering is quite old and has a lot of areas that have deteriorated, then you may find that the best solution will a replacement covering, rather than having to constantly patch all the time.
    Good luck with the leak finding!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thompson roof seal you can apply in the dry over existing felt as long as the grit isnt loose just brush loose gravel. It may take two coats, its grey in colour but when dry turns black which takes about 30 mins. It was about £15-£16 for a large tin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure