ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Comments

• DS is back to his usual, boisterous self today :)

Another NSD day on the cards - will post eBay items, do a couple of hours volunteering this morning then I want to re-organise the freezers ahead of a batch cooking session tomorrow.

Doubtful we will make an OP today, but those two remaining eBay items may surprise me :p:rotfl:

Have marvellous days all xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2017 at 2:23PM
    I have caved in and bought some kindling - we are using the wood burner so much at the moment, my stash of salvaged wood for kindling has depleted greatly. Only spent £8 so not too bad

Meat is out defrosting for a cook-a-thon tomorrow, and some admin has been dealt with. Volunteering was fun as usual, and DS was a star :j

Edited to add: Meals planned up to month end. Our freezers are full, and I therefore can't see any need to spend more than around £20 between now and the 1st March on food - which will be milk, fruit and veg (although we also have loads of frozen veg). That has freed up £100 of the housekeeping pot, which has been OPd :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,877 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Glad DS is feeling better!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Thanks hun :)

Today's plan:

- PEG SOME WASHING OUT :j:j:j:j
    - NSD
    - Drop some bits off at the charity shop
    - Make a batch of chilli
    - Post ebay bits
    - Do some work
    - Drop some broken gold into local jewellers - If I get £20 from that I would be very happy

Have a lovely MFW day everyone xx
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have caved in and bought some kindling - we are using the wood burner so much at the moment, my stash of salvaged wood for kindling has depleted greatly. Only spent £8 so not too bad
    Time to get creative: out for a walk you all go and collect pine cones. Save toilet rolls and pack them with lint from the dryer (I shove hay swept up off the barn floor into ours but I fully appreciate you don't have that!). Or just get the kids collecting twigs and small bits of bark if you can't find pine cones. It might be a fun afternoon collecting and you can overpay that £8

(Am on a mission as you know and I discovered I could do without firelighters and kindling for our woodburner with a bit of lateral thought)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2017 at 1:46PM
    Watty - you have made my day! I never appreciated that lint and toilet rolls would work so well - I rely heavily on firelighters :o

We had collected loads from the woods in summer time but it's all so soggy now. Once the drier weather comes we will be back to collecting.

Someone I know uses egg boxes too - never tried that

Thank you so much for sharing that tip xx
  • Had such a productive day so far, and I can see some blue sky :j

£100 OP made - I have budgeted up to month end, and that is the last of the "spare" cash from the housekeeping pot. I have had an email with a BACS remittance on for some consultancy work I did - £275, which will be OPd as soon as it hits the account.

I have a few more bits of childrens clothing to list on ebay but I think that will be a job for tomorrow x
  • Morning all

£289 OP just made. Today will be a NSD, and I will take the gold to the jewellers - never got round to it yesterday. Will be batch cooking chicken curry - the chilli I made yesterday was very well received by some family members who are having a really tough time at present and cooking just isn't on their radar.

ATB xx
  • Mm...chicken curry. How many portions do you make for batch cooking?
  • Hi HS, I tend to make 8 portions so we have four evening meals for us both. The kiddies don't like curry sadly.

Had a lovely walk to school this morning, and have potted some spring plants up by the front door. A gift from my mum :)

Popped into the jewellers - the gold was worth £38 so I will pay that into the bank today and OP it tomorrow. My lovely mum also had a clear out of her wardrobe and has some bits that can be ebayed, for which she doesn't want anything, she wants me to keep the cash to OP :A

Feeling rather :T at that little lot xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure