KKO Mobile charges ???

Comments

• So despite unsubscribing via the helpline I am still being charged and orange say their is nothing they can do about it. Orange couldn't be more unhelpful if they tried.

I actually wrote a complaint email only for their email system bounce it back to me due a fault.
  • Hi

KKO has asked us to post on its behalf. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

To subscribe to KKO Mobile a consumer must initiate voluntary actions utilising their mobile handset, in this case by clicking three times:
    1. on our mobile advert
    2. on our landing page with the weekly price
    3. on the Payforit billing page, on which the cost of the service is once again outlined.
    There is no means of subscribing to our service without these 3 positive actions being conducted on a mobile handset.
    When you subscribe we send you a free SMS giving you the URL to access the service, and we send an SMS each month to remind you that your subscription remains active plus within the same message, we also advise you how to unsubscribe.

You can unsubscribe from KKO Mobile at any time: simply sending the word STOP to 61973.

Our customer care service is available Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, if you want to contact us please send an e-mail to support@kkomobile.co.uk or phone 0845 834 1119.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi

KKO has asked us to post on its behalf. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

To subscribe to KKO Mobile a consumer must initiate voluntary actions utilising their mobile handset, in this case by clicking three times:
    1. on our mobile advert
    3. on the Payforit billing page, on which the cost of the service is once again outlined.
    There is no means of subscribing to our service without these 3 positive actions being conducted on a mobile handset.
    When you subscribe we send you a free SMS giving you the URL to access the service, and we send an SMS each month to remind you that your subscription remains active plus within the same message, we also advise you how to unsubscribe.
    [EMAIL="support@"][/EMAIL]

Interesting response by them :D

Go to the Payforit website ...http://www.payforit.org download the rules for this
    In order to gain the MSISDN of the Consumer who is accessing the Merchant Service and wishes to
    pay for goods / services using their mobile account, a verification “triangle” between the web service,
    the user on the web service and the MSISDN of the handset / broadband dongle is utilised.
    Two verification options to validate Consumers for web payments are available to Accredited
    Payment Intermediaries:
    Option 1- MT verification - this requires an Accredited Payment Intermediary to generate a
    one-time code for each one-off payment or subscription set-up. This code must be sent by
    SMS to the Consumer
    (after they have entered their MSISDN) who, in turn, needs to enter the
    code on the Accredited Payment Intermediary‟s web payment pages to confirm possession of
    the handset and authorise the transaction
    Option 2 – MO verification - this requires an Accredited Payment Intermediary to generate a
    one-time code on its web payment pages for the Consumer to send-in by SMS to confirm
    possession of the handset and authorise the transaction

My understanding is that you have to have been sent a code by SMS that you need to then enter that code to subscribe OR you have to send a text to subscribe.
    Both of which are traceable and would ask for the proof of subscription or provide full refund.

If you go to the Networks Short Code Management service and download the PDF
    http://www.short-codes.com/media/OperatorCodeExtensionv5.0.pdf

Look at section 2.1
    Both ways of registering on Web and SMS require a response otherwise it's deemed to be usuccessful and no charges should be applied.

If it's in dispute the networks would have to provide proof that you gave the correct response before any charges are valid, an audit log has to have been created and be available for at least 2 years
    It's not just about the money
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote:

1. on our mobile advert
    why were these questions deleted?
    http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t31403.html
    1. assuming you want as many potential customers as possible to see your clickable 'mobile advert' where is your mobile advert hosted?

2. where is your clickable 'landing page with the weekly price' hosted?
    Originally Posted by wantmemoney
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    why were these questions deleted?

I see what you mean ....I would guess that Andrea had deleted it if it contained a quote from Lucy as she will have been refused Company Rep status untill it had been checked out thus had her posts removed.
    It's not just about the money
  • This company has messaged me over the weekend saying I have subscribed and going to be charged £4.50 per week unless I opt out by sending STOP to 61973 which did not work for the first 9 times. I ended up going on the website today and emailing the same message back to them.
    My grandson was trying to get a free game and that is how I ended up with this.
    Fortunatly I work for a mobile phone company so knew about what happens and was able to stop it before any more charges come out. If you want your money back it can be a hard process but not impossible. The problem is you have to prove that you did not subscribe and that is not as easy as it sounds.
    What they work on is the theory that we don't notice and make it hard to stop the "service" which I like others did not subscribe to however, if you find that they have taken any more money after you have sent STOP then have your number changed, a pain I know but that could be the only way round it. If you try it by text, don't do it as a reply to theirs, that doesn't work, open a new text and make sure it is STOP and not stop, capitals have to be used.
    Hope that helps. :T
  • I don't know how those thieves manage to rob me !!! why the British Gov. allowing those punks around:mad: ???
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too have been hit, and presume it was by my child signing up for a "FREE" game app.

I think it's about time MSE looked into this bunch of scammers, instead of just sitting on the fence.
  • I was hit by this at the weekend - thank you to this forum for enabling me to educate myself before I tried to respond to this scam!

I had NOT actively subscribed to the 'KKO mobile' services - however, to cut a LONG story short, I have learned that this scam originates from you (unknowingly/accidentally) clicking on a BANNER (present in apps on your mobile) then apparently (again unwillingly/accidentally) clicking a button - you have subscribed yourself to this £4.50 a week scam.

When you receieve the text from 'KKO mobile' confirming the subscription - this gives you an idea of when you apparently clicked on something. Through contacting both KKO mobile and my network provider I was able to work out an exact time when this happened.

I realised that it could ONLY be banners that were present at the bottom of my 'flashlight' app on my iphone. Lesson learned - be VERY careful when using free apps as, clearly, 'payforit' services such as KKO Mobile allow you to be billed to your phone contract from just an accidental click on banners and pop ups.

Anyway - I texted STOP to 61973, rang the automated service on 0845 834 1119 and selected option 1 to unsubscribe. Then, to be sure, I rang them again (from work :D) to speak to an adviser and get to the bottom of how this happened/confirm I have UNSUBSCRIBED.

To get your money back you apparently have to complain to the support team through email (which I did) However, I did not take it further as my network provider have agreed to waive the charge!

I would therefore recommend complaining to your network provider, as after 2 phone calls to Orange they agreed to waive the charges - problem solved. Obviously depends on who you speak to but be sure to argue that your network provider APPROVES of the way these con artists do business - they allow 'payforit' charges to be billed to your account so they SHOULD help you if you unknowingly and unwillingly get scammed. Make it sound impossible that you have clicked on anything and when they relay back to you your data usage be sure to clear up what you were doing at time e.g. 'I was sleeping so it is impossible that I unlocked the phone and clicked on something/sent a text'.

Hope this helps and thanks again to this forum.
  • My daughter received a text today saying that she had subscribed to KKO Mobile and she was going to be charged £4.50 per week for the service. The truth is, she never subsubscribed to anything and as someone hear said it can be as simple as accidently clicking on a banner that gets you into this.

I phoned the company, who whilst French do have something in the UK although they won't give an address.

I reluctantly phoned the "company" who after some discussion said they would cancel the subscription although I had to pay the first £4.50. A complete con.

After talking to my phone provider Tesco they said that the charge couldn't happen as I have a cap on this phone. They said they will add some sort of barring to stop any of this in the future.

Also, I understand that this scam is particularly associated with Android phones and I was recommended to install a protection, check out the ActionFraud Police UK website.

This scam is clearly aimed at kids and should be reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure