Do One, Debt!

Options

Comments

• GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had an illegal rave in my finances and I need to get a grip.
    The dibs card has built up a debt of around £150. I am broke 5 days before payday.
    I have two expensive months coming up.
    Still trying to stay positive. I just paid my year's house insurance up front, using funds saved over the year :)
    I bought a few new clothes but I really needed them. I bought expensive foundation which I "could" have managed without, but I really wanted it!
    I need to reign it back in asap.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Hoping you're Ok gonna :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh bl@@dy hell...
    Well life is for living and I have been doing that for the past few months, for sure. Lots of good times and nice events, however I am BROKE. I'm having an intervention with myself.
    1. Smoking - this is a disaster, I've been at it for months now and I can't afford it. I am working up to stopping AGAIN!
    2. In order to reduce my payments I consolidated everything to a new 0% with Mr T cc. I got £30 tcb for it and free to transfer. However the transfer and stuff got a bit mixed up, long story short I didn't make any debt repayment last month and only £36 min payment this month
    3. Partying - I'm not sorry about this :) but it ain't cheap:rotfl::beer:
    4. Extra income - I got bored and too busy to bother, a break was nice but now I need to be back on swaggy etc regularly

So I've confessed my sins, I know what to do, I just need to do it now and keep my eye on the finances. And stop using the dibs card for day to day payments :( I like getting the points but it makes it hard for me to know what I'm spending in, so out of the wallet it goes.

I've revisited all of my bank accts and pots of cash and refined these a bit. In good news, I do have more than half saved for xmas at £265, £250 emergency fund, £200 clothes and £45 passport replacement AND £400 in the holiday fund. So not totally :mad:uggered just a bit lost.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Writing it down in the hope it lodges itself in my brain...

Income from Job 2023

2023 -
    1215 transfer for pots and bills
    35 to bday account
    70 to hairdresser account
    200 to holiday saver
    = 503 for spending

1215 breaks down as -
    910 to bills account
    35 to xmas account
    20 to the "expensive treats" account
    45 to RDF and contact lens and insurance saver account
    = 205 for travel, 33 electric and 70 monthly 0% cc payment

910 bills breaks down as-
    488 rent
    281 mortgage
    69 c tax
    21 internet
    12 tv licence
    25 water
    7.50 mobile phone

The annual target for the xmas account is £420 by Dec 15th
    The RDF account pays for insurance in June around £100 and contact lenses twice a year at £78
    The holiday saver matures in April 18 and will contain £700 towards the 0% credit card
    The "side account" is where I keep the monthly £4 account reward and £3 account reward I get and is basically a kind of rdf, I need a new passport in 2 years and it can be used for that hopefully!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Do you feel better having it consolidated though. I think 1 payment is a lot easier to keep track of. As opposed to 7/8/9. This is my end-stage plan.

And you have loads in your pots (and weren't unfortunate enough to have picked this holiday week in the Greek islands).

I think a few days in the pub isn't the end of world so long as you are not destitute.

But the smoking! Well. :wink:
    But people do have vices. We are only human.

It will get sorted but it is summer so it's hard and the beer gardens beckon.

Good luck for next month. It's quite busy for me so not sure if it will be any easier for you either and maybe we just need to get through to September. Xxxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Orange_Ena
    Options
    Ah gonna, glad you're back. You know what you need to do.....it's just the hard bit of actually doing it.

Ahem, yes the smoking. There's loads of help with that if you want support. GP's, pharmacies etc. Not sure how you did it last time. I don't drink luckily but I know it's expensive. Could you have water inbetween :rotfl::p

Well done on the savings pots though :)
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Ena
    Last time I had a horrendous virus and just didn't smoke...
    The drinking is ok, big occasions etc I like a few drinks and end up in rounds so I probably drink more, I don't go "out drinking" all that often, but when I do I like to go for it I guess!
    Thanks PSL
    The smoking is the main problem, it costs a fortune, I will knock it on the head soon I promise!!! The one payment is easier to track, although kind of less satisfying- I used to like seeing my debt drop each month, now I'm going to be making an ok payment and saving the rest of the "payment" to boost the interest payout on my savings in April. Kind of stoozing really. I am really proud of my pots though. I do have about 1k "available" if I lost my job tomorrow. That's reassuring to know.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Orange_Ena
    Options
    Thanks Ena
    Last time I had a horrendous virus and just didn't smoke...
    The drinking is ok, big occasions etc I like a few drinks and end up in rounds so I probably drink more, I don't go "out drinking" all that often, but when I do I like to go for it I guess!
    Thanks PSL
    The smoking is the main problem, it costs a fortune, I will knock it on the head soon I promise!!! The one payment is easier to track, although kind of less satisfying- I used to like seeing my debt drop each month, now I'm going to be making an ok payment and saving the rest of the "payment" to boost the interest payout on my savings in April. Kind of stoozing really. I am really proud of my pots though. I do have about 1k "available" if I lost my job tomorrow. That's reassuring to know.

Could you consider not getting into rounds? Cause like you say, you drink more if you're drinking at the fastest drinkers pace. Plus it's sounds better to buy your own drink for a few quid than to go up to the bar and spend £30 or whatever! :)
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I could spend less I suppose, but I don't really want to?!?
    I had a 40th, a Hen party and a gig. They were all quite long so I was out for 12ish hours, day to night. Plus there was food, taxis etc. the £60ish quid per week on smoking is worse than a £80 night out...
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I would love to come out of rounds but think it is social death.
    But worse I think is when people what to buy you lunch and then you pay next time. I can not keep up with this and who I owe what to. Always feel like I am either not paying my way or funding other people. Trying to put a stop to this.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun tho. And do be proud of your pots. That's a good achievement. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills